Cleaning Glass Shower Doors - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of Old 10-13-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Okay. With a scrubbing brush and a lot of elbow grease I've tried three different cleaners to clean glass shower doors of soap scum/hard water stains. I'm not pleased with any results so far. Any suggestions for the purpose of getting brand new, see through glass shower doors?
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-13-2017, 04:55 PM

There is another thread about this somewhere here. It is a hot topic for a lot of us. Me, too! I have tried just about everything out there. So far, what works the best for me - and my customers expect me to work efficiently - not take too much extra time on any one thing - is to spray it first with a good all-purpose cleaner (or vinegar but I hate the smell-). Let it sit a while, while I clean the rest of the bathroom. Wipe it off, maybe use a very mild scrub sponge (like you do your dishes with-). THEN I apply glass cleaner., and see what I get. I always tell customers that it will take me a few cleanings before I get most of it off.

Some people here suggested stuff like baking soda/powder, because its supposedly a mild abrasive. I worry about scratching the glass. Can you imagine replacing someone's expensive glass shower doors? Holy cow.
sanhend likes this.
post #3 of Old 10-13-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm. I searched the site. Maybe I'm missing something or searching wrong. This is the first time I've tried a forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 PM

This forum is a bit confusing, so I doubt its you! Just keep looking. It may not have had a title including glass shower doors. The threads here tend to meander around, with people bringing up subjects not related to the original post. It is confusing. If I run across it, Ill let you know.

Hang in there. Eventually you will find some answers, some new ideas to try. It just can take a while here. I would suggest doing some online research yourself, but IGNORE the many ads for various products. They all promise the moon, and few deliver. Look for DIY stuff.
sanhend likes this.
post #5 of Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Well. Keep looking but I can tell you that soap and hard water scum are a mineral. No amount of scrubbing is going to remove it. It is made of calcium and magnesium carbonate. Think stalactites in caves. Got it? To break it down you have to do it chemically through a chemical reaction. Sulfuric acid would do it wonderfully but would also burn you and dissolve everything else including tile and carpet. So you need a dilute less reactive acid. Some people use lemon juice or vinegar. The only problem with them is they are very slow to react and need to be on the surface a long time.

Matt
Smith Brothers Carpet Cleaning
sanhend likes this.
post #6 of Old 10-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Yes, I know this. I had tried lemon juice AND vinegar and it didnt work as well as my method. My town has water which is chock full of minerals. Some people's water stains tile, toilets, etc., PINK. And that seems to be almost impossible to clean. Weird, huh?
post #7 of Old 10-14-2017, 10:32 AM

post #8 of Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM

Hmmmm....that IS interesting. But I am not sure its true in all cases. Why would only SOME homes have pink stains, and their neighbor might now?? I would say that of all the homes I currently clean, only 3 have regular issues with these pink stains. I use an H2O2 (peroxide) cleaner on them and that works just fine, but I still dont understand why only a few houses get this! WEIRD!

Talking about weird - and its nothing to do with indoor cleaning: I have a very lovely flower garden. About twice a month, I get these weird, white puffy balls coming out of the soil. After that shows, a round, RED thing grows up - looks sort of like a red wiffle ball! And they smell AWFUL, like something rotting. Flies show in numerous quantity. First time I saw this I was totally grossed out. The stink, the flies...oh dear, it was like aliens had invaded my garden. A neighbor saw it and demanded I put it in a bag and tie it shut before putting it in the trash! LOL!!!! I looked it up online, and all it is is a somewhat unusual mushroom! A "Stinkhorn," is the common name. Totally harmless. But I do wonder why only MY garden is plagued by them. Weird.....
post #9 of Old 10-23-2017, 05:06 AM

Well, if you have used glass doors for your bathroom then you must remove the soap bubbles as soon as possible. It must your habit that you must clean the doors after bathing and washing clothes in order to prevent them from soap scum.
post #10 of Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 PM

Soap scum is the same thing as a hard water deposit.

Acids remove hard water,BUT it can damage the seals and metal frames.you either have to go very slow and rinse alot using liquid soap and water,use a hard water stain remover.Another method is Bon Ami or Bars keepers. Will not hurt the glass make sit easier to stay away from the frames, but it's not an easy method and certainly isn't quick.

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
post #11 of Old 10-25-2017, 02:13 AM

Hi, Use a window scrubber and water to thoroughly clean off the paste mixture. Then dry the shower doors with the window squeegee and a paper towel. Check to make sure the soap scum is completely gone.

Here are the supplies that youíll need for this
Baking Soda
White Vinegar
Spoon and Small Container (I bet you have these)
Scotch-Brite Non Scratch Scrub Sponge (6 pack)
10 inch Window Scrubber
12 inch Window Squeegee
Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner Plus Rain Repellent
Paper Towels

Youíll be able to use these items for other projects like cleaning your Glass Shower Doors.
The cleaning takes about 29 minutes but 15 of it is letting the baking soda & vinegar sit on the shower door glass (plenty of time to sit and watch half of a Pawn Stars episode).
I guarantee that youíll be happy with the results and cleaning your shower doors will actually be somewhat fun-hey, I even surprised myself during this process!!
post #12 of Old 11-26-2017, 10:50 PM

I love the natural solutions. I think, you should clean glass shower doors from baking soda, salt and vinegar. Vinegar is really acetic acid and this is why itís such a thorough cleaning solution. Baking soda is a great tool for cleaning and removing stains. White vinegar is an effective and nontoxic for glass shower cleaning. Another good home remedy is lemon oil that works beautifully on built up soap scum on shower screens. Always go for green cleaning products.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California
post #13 of Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 AM

Where do you buy lemon oil??? I have not run into this product - anywhere.
post #14 of Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM

Hi I just joined. Hard water stains are my pet peeve. Have not found any thing that really makes me happy. Norwex has descale works pretty well but is 40 $ and Lemifresh worked pretty well. there is a mixture of dawn, vinegar and ebsom salt and it worked the best. Just dawn and vinegar I did not care for. Hope I helped. Janitorjan
post #15 of Old 11-29-2017, 05:13 PM

It is a problem most of us face. I wish someone would make a product that truly did work, without a ton of scrubbing.
post #16 of Old 02-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Using a nonabrasive sponge, scrub and clean the glass with vinegar, baking soda, and salt. Spray vinegar on the door and let it sit for a few minutes. Next, create a paste with equal amounts of baking soda and salt. Apply to the glass doors and scrub until you've achieved a clean, sparkly surface. Vinegar is the best household ingredient you can use for all glass surfaces, as well as for cleaning your tile floors.

Kristine Harris
https://monsterfloorequipmentparts.com
Monster Floor Equipment Parts
post #17 of Old 02-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Good heavens, that sounds so time consuming. My customers won't pay me for the amount of extra time I would spend doing that. When I do the first cleaning of a new customer's home and it has glass shower doors, with the film on them already, I explain that this isnt something I can fix right away. And possibly NEVER remove it entirely.

After trying nearly everything, it seems to me the best method is to first use a foam sponge and a general purpose cleaner on the film. Do a little scrubbing, gently. Then, use your glass product with a clean cloth. The problem is what is added to our puiblic water supplies, and what just exists naturally in our underground water aquafiers. Not much we can do about those things!
post #18 of Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 AM

Such a struggle!!
post #19 of Old 04-04-2018, 02:46 AM

As far as now I have also read about cleaning it with baking soda, vinegar and salt. we have to spray vinegar on the glass and let it sit for sometime and then apply paste of baking soda and salt. This can be time consuming I guess. Otherwise you can look for various janitorial too.
post #20 of Old 04-04-2018, 07:42 AM

What is (sort of ) working for me now is to use a non abrasive foam sponge with a good all purpose cleaner FIRST and after that, apply a glass cleaner. My customers expect me to work efficiently, so I cannot spend a TON of time obsessing about this issue. I always explain to the homeowner how difficult those mineral build-ups are to removed and never make any promises about removing them. I usually find out that they, too, had tried without success, so they do understand what I mean.

Tags
glass shower doors , hard water stains , soap scum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode