Cleaning solid oak floors? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning solid oak floors?

One of my new clients has a solid oak floor and i don't want to ruin it. Any tips on the best way to clean it? can i use a steam mop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 PM

The safest thing I use for any type of hardwood flooring is I fill a spray bottle with 22 ounces of distilled water and then add 2 ounces of distilled white vinegar. I also add a few drops of essential oil such as lavender or whatever you like to make a nice smell but its not necessary. The small amount of vinegar will not damage the floor but will clean and disenfect. Lightly spray the floor as you do not want a lot of water on it, just lightly dampen it. Then I mop with my reusable microfiber mop head. This homemade cleaner is cheap and effective and doesnt cause any buildup on the floor. What you don't use in the bottle can be saved for the next cleaning. I have always used this and never had any complaints by clients
post #3 of Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks DLT - that is very useful to know ... I will definitely give it a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Nooooooo DO NOT use a steam mop. 9 out of 10 times it won't hurt anything but that 1 time it could have a finish on it that fogs over with steam.

Target has a GREAT product for this. Method Squirt + Mop.
post #5 of Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM

After cleaning of house its really look wonderful.
post #6 of Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 AM

Cleaning hardwood floors is a simple process when the right products are used.
Always try to use a recommended wood floor cleaner and don’t just rely on a mop that will be forever splashing moisture onto a natural product that loves to soak up water!
Some companies supply Wood Floor Maintenance Kits or wood floor cleaners for their floors, so it’s always worthwhile ordering one when you first buy your new floor. When you invest in such a beautiful and natural product, a few extra pounds to keep it in pristine condition surely has to be a good investment?
Using A Vacuum Cleaner
You can use a brush for regular cleaning but you can also use the vacuum for your rugs and for your efficient thorough cleanings. Make sure it has a padded attachment (or pad the head yourself so as not to scratch your floor) and then use it as normal.
If you’re familiar with carpets in your home, when you first have your new wood floor installed, you’ll be amazed at how much dust appears on your floor (usually hidden in your carpet), thus emphasizing the extra health benefits of a natural oak floor. It may require cleaning more often because the dust is more obvious but it's certainly a lot easier to keep clean than any carpet.
Mops and Brooms
There’s lots of so-called "special" wood floor mops and brushes, but the key is to find a soft-bristle brush that's shaped in such a way that you can get into those nooks and crannies in between good vacuum sessions.
post #7 of Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 AM

Cleaning is everything for your house.
post #8 of Old 03-03-2015, 12:12 AM

We generally use diluted windex on wood floors unless the customer requests a specific product such as Bona.
Regular mopping just doesn't reach the stubborn dirt that lies deep in the pores of your hardwood, but Mid In Saint Louis' process does. This process includes an initial vacuuming of the areas to remove any loose dirt and debris, an auto scrubbing with an alkaline cleaner and then another auto scrubbing with a neutral cleaner to return the floor to its initial sheen. Edges are hand scrubbed, as are stairs.

Always:

Clean up spills immediately.
Vacuum or dust mop your floor once a week, or more, if needed.
Place mats at every entrance to protect against dirt or debris as well as moisture to prevent it from being tracked onto the floor.
Place runners and area rugs (with slip-resistant backings) along high-traffic areas.
Prevent damage to your floor by avoiding movement of heavy appliances and furniture on the floor by using hard, narrow furniture rollers with wide rubber rollers.
Area rugs are recommended in front of kitchen sinks, at all pivot points and within high-traffic areas.
Minimize damage to your floor from direct sunlight.
Never:

Never use any of the following products on your floor: acrylic finishes, wax based products, detergents, ammonia based products, bleach, or polishes and oil soaps. Never use abrasive cleaning soaps or acidic materials such as vinegar.
Never allow water to stand on your floor for any length of time..
Avoid using rubber or non breathable materials for your mats.
Never use vacuums with the beater bars enabled.
post #9 of Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 AM

One of my client's ex-cleaning person ruined her oak floors by using a steam mop with Mop & Glo in it!!! Who does that???!!! So I've been using the distilled white vinegar & distilled water combo on them (with a few drops of lemon essentials oil for smell), lightly spraying, then cleaning with a good microfiber mop.
post #10 of Old 03-03-2015, 11:39 PM

Steam mops are "OK" but aren't really the safest thing to use when you don't know exactly what type of coating/finish the floor has. method squirt and a mop should do the trick and you don't have to spend as much for initial and maintaining expenses. I would also avoid using acidic cleaning agents.
post #11 of Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 AM

To clean sold oak there is need to sweep and vacuum regularly to keep the floor free of dust and scratching agents, you should only clean your hardwood when it really needs it. This will prolong the life of your floor.

Last edited by stevewilliams; 03-28-2015 at 01:23 AM.
post #12 of Old 03-22-2015, 07:16 PM

Like another said, using distilled water and distilled white vinegar will work great for solid wood floors, as well as other surfaces.
post #13 of Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 PM

How long is it best to soak with vinegar a stain on a hardwood floor?
post #14 of Old 04-06-2015, 03:38 AM

i think you need to visit the market. i m sure you will find any product which is use to clean solid floors. this is best solution for your problem.
post #15 of Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM

DIRT and GRIT : Dirt, grit and sand are your hardwood floorís worst enemies.

They act like sandpaper on the finish, causing scratches, dents and dulling. Place floor mats at entrances to trap dirt and prevent damage.

WATER AND OTHER SPILLS : Standing water can warp a poorly finished hardwood floor and can damage the finish. Simply wipe up all spills as they happen.

HARD CLEANERS : Avoid oil soaps. They can build up and create problems when itís time to put a maintenance coat on the floor. Instead, neutral pH cleaners made specifically for wood floors are recommended.

FURNITURE : Lift the furniture to move it ó avoid dragging. Felt contacts under the legs will help prevent scratches.

DENTS : Vacuum with a brush attachment ó donít use vacuums with beater bars.

SUN : Direct sun can discolor your hardwood floor. Close curtains and blinds or add sheer drapes to protect from the sunís intense UV rays.
post #16 of Old 04-22-2015, 04:33 AM

The cleaning method with distilled water and white vinegar seems the best one!
Cleaners Harlesden
post #17 of Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Why not use good old floorwax. The colorless one. Still works for my clients.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode