Cleaning stove top under burner rings. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-09-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning stove top under burner rings.

I've had this problem for a long time and am tired of buying burner rings for $25.00 for 4 of them.
I cook a lot of shrimp and crabs, when the pot starts to steam water trickles down the pot to the burner area under the rings ( electric stove). For some reason this and other cooking leaves a residue on the porcelain under the rings that is impossible to clean up, at least I don't know how and I have tried everything I can think of.
I'm a single guy and I can't just stop and tear down the stove after every time I cook to clean under the rings. How/what is done to clean off the burnt crud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM

A good degreaser would work. You can get Zep Purple Degreaser at Home Depot and it is good. Make sure to wear gloves. It has a very strong odor also. We use that and a scrubber sponge and it comes right off. We have cleaned some stove tops where it has been stuck on for years and always get it off. Some of the other guys might have good strategies also. Possibly something not as potent to the nose. But it works.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #3 of Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendra View Post
A good degreaser would work. You can get Zep Purple Degreaser at Home Depot and it is good. Make sure to wear gloves. It has a very strong odor also. We use that and a scrubber sponge and it comes right off. We have cleaned some stove tops where it has been stuck on for years and always get it off. Some of the other guys might have good strategies also. Possibly something not as potent to the nose. But it works.
is this Kendra that lived in cali? owned a PW buz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 AM

post #5 of Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Kendra, I'll give it a try Monday if I can't get it off with that I'll try what T.Peterson advised. I really appreciate the help, thanks to both of you. I'll let you know.

I've tried degreasers but they didn't even start to clean it, but I've never used Zep. When you say scrubber sponge do you mean one of those plastic things or one with a sponge on one side and a heavy duty scrubber on the other (usually green, I think).
post #6 of Old 05-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Kendra, I'll give it a try Monday if I can't get it off with that I'll try what T.Peterson advised. I really appreciate the help, thanks to both of you. I'll let you know.

I've tried degreasers but they didn't even start to clean it, but I've never used Zep. When you say scrubber sponge do you mean one of those plastic things or one with a sponge on one side and a heavy duty scrubber on the other (usually green, I think).
yeah the green ones with a sponge on one side and scrubber on the other.

Kendra
www.busybeesclean.com
post #7 of Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Musgraves View Post
is this Kendra that lived in cali? owned a PW buz?
No, I have lived in Texas all my life except for four months I live in Virginia.

Kendra
www.busybeesclean.com
post #8 of Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Kendra and Peterson.

Hello, Kendra the "Zep" didn't do the trick. However I really do appreciate the brand name you gave me. I really should add that they were out of the regular Zep so I got the orange stuff that everyone seems to be pushing.
It didn't even start to remove the crud under the burners burners that is actually burnt on or something. But, this stuff beats the heck out of everything else I have tried for general cleaning, not that I do a lot of it!!
You just have to spray it on and give it about 3 to 5 minutes to work it's magic, and WAM, it does it! Basically just a wipe off.

Peterson, I got the stuff (oven cleaner) you recommended, but due to my schedule I haven't given it a go yet, I will get back to you guys and let you know.
post #9 of Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
I have good results with Barkeeper's Friend. You should have seen the crud that product got off under my OWN stovetop. I admit I live with all men whose definition of cooking involves boiling over whatever is in the pan.

Just sprinkle it on and use a moist microfiber rag and rub in a circular motion.

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #10 of Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Barkeeper's Friend does great, and anything that it might not get off goes bye bye with a magic eraser (generics work just as well). Just cleaned my daughter's electric stove top and mine and the worst of it came off prior to serious scrubbing with the ME's. But you can scrub and then follow up with the ME's.

suzi g
post #11 of Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Kendra and Peterson.

Hello, Kendra the "Zep" didn't do the trick. However I really do appreciate the brand name you gave me. I really should add that they were out of the regular Zep so I got the orange stuff that everyone seems to be pushing.
It didn't even start to remove the crud under the burners burners that is actually burnt on or something. But, this stuff beats the heck out of everything else I have tried for general cleaning, not that I do a lot of it!!
You just have to spray it on and give it about 3 to 5 minutes to work it's magic, and WAM, it does it! Basically just a wipe off.

Peterson, I got the stuff (oven cleaner) you recommended, but due to my schedule I haven't given it a go yet, I will get back to you guys and let you know.
Wow, I have cleaned some pretty bad stoves and the purple degreaser always works. Sometimes we take a copper scrubber to it and a razor. Yep we have been in some bad places! LOL But it comes up everytime.

If you get the purple degreaser and let it sit then scrub it should come up. I do not know about the orange. I have never used that one. We have done stoves that have not been cleaned in years and years and always get it up...Now you are making me want to come do your stove. I love a challenge!

Kendra
www.busybeesclean.com
post #12 of Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendra View Post
Wow, I have cleaned some pretty bad stoves and the purple degreaser always works. Sometimes we take a copper scrubber to it and a razor. Yep we have been in some bad places! LOL But it comes up everytime.

If you get the purple degreaser and let it sit then scrub it should come up. I do not know about the orange. I have never used that one. We have done stoves that have not been cleaned in years and years and always get it up...Now you are making me want to come do your stove. I love a challenge!
I'll check and see if they have the "purple degreaser" and try it.
post #13 of Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

First off because of some of theanswers I'm getting I better try and clarify what "exactly" I'm trying to clean. It is "not" under the stove top, I clean that with any old cleaner, takes about 5 minutes .

The crud I am talking about is under the burner rings, it is baked on and nothing so far has removed it.

Kendra, I went back to Home depot Saturday and talked to the store service department. They said they had never heard of "Zep Purple", what is the exact name on a bottle of yours? They had a heck of a lot of Zep products but nothing called that or had a purple color in case that was what you meant.
post #14 of Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM

What you are talking about is carbon (the burnt on remnants of food that has baked to oblivion) As I said oven cleaner is your best bet for that. (an a razor blade to aid removal if you are not the patient type)

The purple zep goes by the name of Zep 509 industrial degreaser I believe
post #15 of Old 06-23-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I got the oven cleaner but haven't tried it yet, I'm waiting till I am going to be gone all day and put it on before I leave
post #16 of Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Yep...I know exactly what you are describing. The oven cleaner should work, but if you want less fumes (aka none) and don't mind a little scrubbing then use the Barkeeper's Friend. It practically comes right off if you let it sit (moistened) for a little bit and then scrub.

I swear the underside of the rings on my stove when I moved in hadn't been cleaned in years. The carbon came right off with the BKF. I had tried a ton of other products including scraping it and it wouldn't budge. I swear by the stuff now!

Oven cleaner is less work (spray on, let sit, wipe off) but you still may have residue if it is really bad.

Good luck!

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #17 of Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Sometimes you have to take it off one layer at a time. Also, those copper metal scrubbers help.

Kendra
www.busybeesclean.com
post #18 of Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Sometimes SOS pads help. I have found very stiff plastic to help too. They are called nylon pan scrapers and you can buy them through Pampered Chef. I have even used the cake smoothers from Tupperware that makes grooves in cakes. You might even be able to get it off if you use a steamer. It may help loosen it up if it gets hot.
post #19 of Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 PM

I saw some of those nylon pan scrapers at Bed, Bath and Beyond just the other day. I used to get them through Pampered Chef but now I will buy them at BB&B because that's easier and cheaper!

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #20 of Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Oven cleaner also works
Oven cleaner + 000 Steel wool = brand new looking rings

The Purple Power stuff if you use it just don't inhale the spray fumes or you'll keel over choking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode