Cleaning toilet hard water stains above the water line - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gossamer

post #1 of Old 06-20-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning toilet hard water stains above the water line

Hi,
I've used vinegar to clean hard water stains (calcuim, etc) from the toilet, but how do I clean the really tough stains above the water line?

Thanks,
Dave
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

No one has any ideas? Muriatic acid? CLR?
post #3 of Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM

pumic stick,does great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 AM

Toilet plays a significant role in any house. My easiest way to clean a toilet is to use an inside the bowl toilet flapper. Remove the water like you did place, the flapper at the bottom to hold in water with bleach and a little soap, bucket water in up to top of bowl, let sit 1 hr. Remove flapper and it's immaculate, no scrubbing or anything. Time may vary depending on job. I am specialized in water damage remediation and restoration services with certified professionals along with proper care.Nice sharing.
post #5 of Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 AM

Apply some toilet cleaners.
post #6 of Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 PM

We have a product in stock call Shower Patrol. It works great for soap scum, hard water deposits, mildew, and its non - abrasive. Check it out! http://www.westernjanitorsupply.com/...101&category=6
post #7 of Old 02-18-2016, 01:02 PM

I'll 2nd the suggestion to try CLR & pumice stone. I have had good luck with Zud, which is a cream based cleaner that contains Muriatic acid. I tried acid based bowl cleaners on hard water/rust stains and they didn't seem to be effective at removing the stains.
Bradhttp://www.bdjanitorial.com
post #8 of Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 AM

This thread is old but I'd shut off the water to the toilet first. I'd then use a plunger to remove as much water from the bowl as possible. I'd then apply a product with muriatic acid (i.e. The Works toilet bowl cleaner) and let it sit on the bowl for as long as possible. Then go ahead and scrub to get off the stains. Use a pumice stone to remove the rest. Turn the water back on to the toilet & hopefully problem solved!
post #9 of Old 02-21-2016, 05:43 PM

Go to WalMart and buy some screen (basically window screen). It is in the section where the sand paper is. Cut off about a 1x2 piece.

Now here is the real trick. If you make it work, that means you have an iq over 37. If you can't make it work.....

No offense to you personally but it's just that most people can't make the most simple of things work. I bet you can... but someone 2 years down the road that reads this......

Or buy all these chemicals like everyone else, spend all that money and in the end, if you run your finger over it, it still won't be gone. I LOVE my money so I buy the cheapest thing that gets the job done.
post #10 of Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 AM

Try to use best toilet cleaners instead of Vinegar
post #11 of Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovidhyasri View Post
Try to use best toilet cleaners instead of Vinegar
What brands can uou recommend?
post #12 of Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 AM

nice tips
post #13 of Old 08-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Using pumice stone is efficient. First wear gloves and scrub the mineral stain area gently.
Please see http://www.cleaningnetwork.com/how-to-clean-a-toilet/
post #14 of Old 07-21-2017, 01:35 AM

Yes distilled vinegar is an effective toilet cleaner that can remove any stain and also kill the germs. If you have tough stain above water line try making a baking soda and hydrogen peroxide paste, but you should take preventive actions while cleaning. But for best result please hire professional cleaner as they have good knowledge and latest equipment for your needs.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California
post #15 of Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM

I have used a product called "The Works." It does work, but the smell is disgusting and I suspect isnt even safe! Pumice toilet scrubbers is probably a much safer idea. That an ordinary bleach, but always wear gloves. Bleach can BURN your skin! It is an obnoxious chemical to use regularly, and I try NOT to use it. H2O2 cleaners are safer, smell better and pretty much do the same job. I like the one made by Lysol, their "general purpose" cleaner. It smells okay too.
Annie
post #16 of Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 AM

Nice tips!
post #17 of Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 AM

Definitely pumice. Make sure the pumice and the surface you're using it on are both wet to avoid scratches.
post #18 of Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 PM

I would suggest use Borax. It is a great multi- purpose cleaning product that can be effectively used to clean hard water stains in the toilet. For using this methods you can follow these tips:
1.Pour 1\4 cup of borax into the toilet bowl and swish it around with a toilet brush.
2.Then add 1 cup of vinegar and allow the mixture to sit in the bowl for about 20 minutes.
3.Finish by scrubbing the bowl with a toilet brush to remove hard water stains.

Hope these tips will be helpful.

Best,
Jose Ramos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode