Corona Virus Cancels? Yes or No? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of Old 03-28-2020, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Corona Virus Cancels? Yes or No?

QUESTION~Am I the only 1 canceling or has anyone else decided to be pro-active also to try to get rid of this horrific virus?
I don't want to get it and I sure do NOT want to be a carrier to any of my 24 accounts!
I got 9 cancels in the 1st week so I decided to cancel the rest myself.
March 17th, I was still quite the naysayer but have since done a 360 on that type of thinking!!
Just curious to see if anyone else has or has not canceled.
Thanks in advance and stay safe and healthy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-30-2020, 04:41 PM

gayelynn… thank you for your post and I can relate to your canceled business and hope you & your biz recovers when this is over.
I did get 1 corona virus clean & disinfect our warehouse call, the caller said an employee had or suspected to have the virus. I don't have the type of protective wear to protect myself from getting the virus + I don't have enough disinfectant to handle a large warehouse, so turned the job down.
So far I have 1 large customer closed temporally-1 mid sized customer closed as employees are working from home-1 small company closed to abide by stay at home order and 1 small health service provider cut back to 2x month.

I did fill out the SBA Loan paperwork for Economic Injury Disaster Loan so will see how that goes. As of last week I have not received a response from the SBA but imagine they are swamped with applications, as their website kept timing out and now they switched to downloading the forms and upload them when completed.

If there is any good news... there is a lot less traffic to deal with. Brad BD Janitorial
post #3 of Old 03-30-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi bjanitorial~
Thank YOU for replying!!
I just don't think there are many people in this forum cause it's always so slow so I get excited when I see someone reply.
I was actually shocked that the virus hasn't been brought up yet.

The week before this got so bad, 3/8, I actually ordered 2 different brands of disinfectant.
I wrote all of my customers letting them know that I had invested in a commercial-grade disinfectant.
I also told them that the extra cost for the cleaner would be on us, of course.
It was actually 3 times more than my usual brands but that was ok.
I just wanted them to feel assured.

Then the cancels started rolling in and questions of us possibly bringing the virus from 1 account to another and that got me thinking.
I was spinning in circles for another week and finally told everyone we were suspending our service for 2 weeks.
I will be again, cancel until the beginning of May.
I had no idea what was about to happen with this virus and bought quality~not quantity.
I couldn't find any cleaners when I went back to shop for them so it was for sure not just toilet paper being hoarded although that was exactly my plan. lol
Then the next week, when it got really bad and I got 9 cancels in 1 afternoon, I had some thinking to do.
I didn't want my customers, the rest that hadn't canceled on their own, to feel as though I was leaving them just when they needed me most.
Every customer was very understanding.

I have been doing this for 25 years and it's been well over 15 that I took off for a vacation or even an illness. (on my part anyway.)
I believe I haven't had a cold or the flu for 25 years due to the fact that my hands are always in hot, soapy water. (?)

I have read that if you're self-employed that you can collect unemployment.
I then filled out the form last night and after I submitted it, of course, I read another question about unemployment and self-employed.
UPDATE~Our state, WI, didn't take the PUA applications until 4/21 so I filled out a new application.)
My only problem is that it's only me, myself and my cat so there is no incoming income other than mine and I'm looking so forward to that $1,200 check!
UPDATE~Recieved the $1,200 stimulus money 4/13! YAY!

Could you explain what you are talking about when you talk about SBA Loan paperwork for Economic Injury Disaster Loan?
I have never heard of that one and I am interested to learn.

I am sure I won't lose any of my customers as they are all very loyal.
However, I just can't fore-see trust being established for a very long time.... if ever!
And I'm sure the falling stock market is affecting a lot more people than just me.
I wonder how many of these big houses will be feeling this?
I assume you only clean commercial, correct?
Who knows?~Nobody knows~All I do know is it's getting worse every single day.

Again, thanks for replying and I'll hear from you again!
I'm very interested in what that extremely long title/word means.
Stay safe and healthy!!

Last edited by gayelynn; 04-28-2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Update on PUA/stimulus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-02-2020, 06:01 PM

if your looking for more *action* in a forum, check out Truckmountforums.com They have a Janitorial Forum
post #5 of Old 04-03-2020, 02:20 PM

Disaster Loan Assistance
Federal Disaster Loans for Businesses, Private Non-profits, Homeowners and Renters
COVID-19 ECONOMIC INJURY DISASTER LOAN APPLICATION----This what you are looking for on the SBA.gov website---

"Historically, the SBA has offered disaster relief assistance to businesses, homeowners and renters in specific areas where federally declared disasters occurred. However, due to COVID-19, companies in all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and U.S. territories can apply for a disaster loan. They also can receive a $10,000 advance on the loan.

The EIDL program provides working capital to small businesses via low-interest loans in amounts of up to $2 million. Businesses pay an interest rate of 3.75%, while nonprofits will pay 2.75%. Loan terms can last up to 30 years, and are determined case by case."
The above quote is from Forbes Magazine.

My assumptions is that businesses with employees will be the 1st in line to get assistance from the SBA, but sole proprietors are eligible to apply which I have done so will wait and see what happens.
Plan B.. I contacted my bank and could get a low interest loan but will set that aside for awhile till I see what the SBA offers in my case.
I still have some customers and follow safety measures--disinfecting all touch areas 1st upon entering, wearing gloves, washing hands.
Finding disinfectants is like a all day job in itself, even at the 4-5 search page Jan San companies disinfectants are all back ordered or out of stock. Did order some disinfectant from a Multi level Health & Wellness company, will know more when I actually get the product.
Brad BD Janitorial
post #6 of Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 PM

my wife and I agreed to stop cleaning. For the few jobs we would do, its not worth the risk of bringing it home. The Customers Arent Around excuse just doesnt cut it because we are still touching door handles, etc.

I just dont want to bring it home because
-I dont like being sick
-My wife wouldnt let me hear the end of it (OK that should be #1)
-My son runs his business out of our home and I if I brought the virus here he couldnt work

So for those reasons, Im out.
gayelynn likes this.
post #7 of Old 04-09-2020, 07:17 PM

I keep working, maybe only slightly fewer clients. All of this will pass sometime and we will return to normal. I wish you all health and be careful with YOU.

We think it’s important to provide skilled and experienced personnel so our work is always of the highest standard. Corona Cleaning
We are a family business, we have several years of experience and we can clean your house, office or apartment and we do it reliably and on time
post #8 of Old 04-15-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

mrotto~LOVE your reply!!

My update~ I will be off 5 weeks on May 1st.
That's the date I'm going to allow my customers to make up my mind.
I'll assure them that masks and gloves will be worn and we will still be using the commercial-grade cleaners.
(I'm hoping I'll be able to find a supply prior to running out! (?)
I will also request of them to stay the heck out of my way! hahahaha!!
Of COURSE not~I will ask though that the further they stay from us, the better.
Many people had a hard time doing that when the kids were off for summers...I can't even imagine what they will do when they're off for this.

I don't think there will be a "safe" time to go back for at least a year and for most, me, myself and I, that just isn't feasible.
Ironic that I haven't taken a vacation for so many years and I spent 5 weeks.....cleaning! lol

Thank you all for the replies!
My email didn't update me.

Last edited by gayelynn; 04-15-2020 at 02:04 PM.
post #9 of Old 04-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Cancelling

Yes, we are required to close for now.
post #10 of Old 04-19-2020, 01:36 PM

When do you think everything will return to normal?
when we start our business.
Two clients returned to me this week.
And how is it with you?

We think it’s important to provide skilled and experienced personnel so our work is always of the highest standard. Corona Cleaning
We are a family business, we have several years of experience and we can clean your house, office or apartment and we do it reliably and on time
post #11 of Old 04-27-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes, we are required to close for now.

TRUE~Janitors are essential~Housecleaners are NOT.

I actually found a site early on that said we were essential workers and wow!, I felt so important! j/k!
So now that I have decided to allow my customers to request our service rather than me, I feel like I'm in a dilemma!
The way this is going, it'll never be safe enough, IMO!
I live in WI and our "stay-at-home" is until May 27th.
People not abiding by this rule will be given a citation as of May 2nd.
May 4th was the date I planned to resume.

I have a LOT of thinking to do....STILL.
I know of a few that would want us back as we are very low on COVID-19 cases/deaths.
At the same time, I feel I am helping to keep it that way.
I'd hate to think I was house-bound from March 18th thru May 4th, only to pick up the virus. :(

I was going to tell my customers if they would stay on a different floor, that would help.
We also will be wearing masks/gloves.
However, as much I don't understand how a mask can NOT keep me from catching the virus, it can't.
So unless the customer would also be willing to wear one, I guess I'd have to keep declining. (?)

Anyone get their COVID-19 unemployment?
My state could not take applications until April 21st.
The amounts are between $150-$300 a week.
Helps but sure doesn't come close to paying my bills/rent/living.
(I may start another thread on this if it hasn't already been asked.)

Last edited by gayelynn; 04-28-2020 at 07:12 AM.
post #12 of Old 04-28-2020, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKersten View Post
We will not be asking our customers to wear masks, but we are asking them to keep their distance and quarantine themselves to a room of the house that we will not be cleaning that visit so our contact with them is minimal. We have also stepped up our disinfectant that we use to be one that kills the virus and we provide extra "touch point" disinfecting. We also have the ability to provide a complete electro-static disinfecting of the home if they want the full scale disinfecting. We do have a couple of clients that we know have been sick with the virus and we will be requiring them to have this full scale disinfecting prior to us ever returning to the home.

Asking they stay in a room other than the 1 we're in was my idea yesterday morning.
The masks moved into play later in the day along with my paranoia.

With that being said, I will probably be seeing about 9 (?) of my customers agreeing to that, every other week.
(I still have to work up the courage to press send on that text because once I do, I'm committed.)
I've been doing this and surviving quite comfortably for 26 years now and never in my lifetime would I imagine I may be looking at the lack of work!
I feel like I've left them, just when they needed me the most but I've talked myself into the fact that it would be temporary rather than a possible alternative.....

What is this "electro-static disinfecting" you are referring to?
Sounds expensive.
Let me know if I'm wrong so that I may implement that into my service.
post #13 of Old 04-28-2020, 08:45 AM

The electrostatic disinfecting is done with an electrostatic sprayer. We are using a piece of equipment called the Clorox 360 Electrostatic Sprayer. It is on the expensive side but we have been in business for over 36 years and we have the "luxury" of a commercial and residential divisions so the equipment will be well utilized and paid for itself after the 1st job of cleaning a 100,000 sq ft building where an employee had tested positive for the virus. That "essential" company had to shut its doors until we were able to get in and provide the service so fortunately they were willing to pay the premium for this type of fast effective cleaning to allow them to get back to business. You can google the Clorox 360 Electrostatic Sprayer and you will see what equipment I am referring to.

We did have to shut down our residential division for the entire month of April, but the governor is re-opening things on May 3rd here in Kansas and we are trying to get our protocols in place. We want to be sure that we have enough PPE equipment for the team members to wear while cleaning and that we have all of our sanitizing processes streamlined so we can be sure our equipment is being properly cleaned and disinfected each night. Now we are trying to get ahold of a temporal thermometer so we can check the team members prior to heading out in the morning for fever. This should help reassure our clients and our staff that the people they are coming into contact with either in the car on the way to the houses or at the houses themselves are not showing signs of illness.

I am still going to force the issue of the client keeping their distance for their wellbeing and ours. We do not know how long this is all going to go on but what I do know is that there are many other housecleaners and housecleaning companies out there and all of our clients do not share the same view of this virus. Some of our clients are "chomping at the bit" to get us back in there cleaning and these types of customers will not wait for us forever when the Governor has reopened the city and other companies are advertising their services. So all we can do is wear our gloves and our masks and disinfect, disinfect, disinfect and try to stay healthy.
post #14 of Old 04-28-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah! That sounds way too much for my business as it's only the 2 of us!
I bought some good disinfectant cleaners prior to the hoard.
I was thinking quality rather than quantity.
I was also hoping this virus would last shorter rather than longer!
Luckily, I do have a cousin that sells cleaning products and will give me somewhat of a discount.

As far as PPE, not so good on discounts!
50 masks were $20.50. (Just checked price and they went up to $25.00 plus $6.99 shipping.)
I found them a bit cheaper but won't be here for a month or 2 and they're from China.
(My 1st order was 20 for $21.00~I wasn't thinking about work and only my personal outings at the time.) NOT smart!
The gloves were 100 for $21.00 and my cousin sells them for $5.99 which I didn't see until after.
I bought cloth but they all came out to $10.00 and I can't sew and don't know anyone who can.
Boom for the people who can and are making/selling these!

The cleaners and PPE are going to cost us more.
Unfortunately, I just raised our prices not that long ago,
That and the fact that I know this isn't only going to be hard on us but also the clients.
Hoping I haven't lost any because of that....only time will tell.

So I have finally decided to bite the bullet and send out the text to see who wants us back and when.
The people that are going to say yes to us coming now will be people that probably would have never said no.
Just like your clients~many are not too worried about this and visa-versa.
Again, only time will tell....this should be interesting and I will update whether people want to know or not. haha!

Last but certainly not least!!!~How do you or how are you cleaning your equipment nightly?
My totes and supplies will be easy enough.
I guess it would just be the vacuum but to what extent without taking it apart (which is quite easy actually.)
I'm assuming you'll be using your Electrostatic Sprayer on the vac, right?
I was thinking about using a good spray like Lysol? (Although I'll never be able to find that.)
My glass cleaner will more than likely work as I make it with 91% rubbing alcohol.
(Something I'm sure I won't find once I'm out of that either and that's the only glass cleaner I like.)

UPDATE~My cousin's cleaning supply store actually has aerosol disinfectant in stock! YAY! Between $5 and 6 bucks!!
Salamonesupplies.com

Last edited by gayelynn; 04-29-2020 at 10:21 AM.
post #15 of Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 AM

thanks a lot
gayelynn likes this.

We are a leading Cleaning Services Dubai with an outstanding reputation for quality and integrity, we provide Cleaning Services that includes Premium Office Cleaning Services Dubai and House Cleaning Services Dubai at very competitive prices.
post #16 of Old 04-29-2020, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I sent out a text to 22 accounts this morning to see who was up to having us back at this time.
Our Stay-at-Home is until May 27th.
I have been off for 6 weeks and thought I'd have a slow start-up to get back into my groove. lol
NOT!~20 of the 22 want right now.
I haven't even had 1 nice day (WI) to go clean out my car and get all my cleaning supplies in order.
Anyone else as shocked as I am?
(On how many people want to begin ASAP~Not that WI has crappy weather!)

5/1 UPDATE~I did my 1st account today.
The customers had a very snarky type attitude toward masks and have been going and doing the same as usual since the 3/17 shut-down.
My sister couldn't breathe through hers.
So, I was the only 1 wearing a mask, protecting THEM from ME after locking myself away for the last 6.5 weeks, surrounded by 3 others that weren't.
I feel that was very selfish of them.

Last edited by gayelynn; 05-01-2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: UPDATE~Back to work
post #17 of Old 05-04-2020, 12:37 PM

I just got my 1st Corona Virus Start Up Service email. The business is a retail optical dispensary and vision care which deals with the public. They were closed most of April and will restart service this week. Will do the Covid Cleaning upon entering, not sure if I'll wear a mask but will have my Covid Condoms (gloves) on. Hope you business returns for you all.
Brad BD janitorial..
P.S. I keep getting updates from the SBA regarding my application for the EDL (economic disaster loan) but no $$ so far. I have heard from several podcast/radio show hosts that did receive a PPP loan and read where my local bank's parent company is being sued over the PPP loan program, something about playing favorites preferring larger corporate customers over smaller ones.
Brad BD Janitorial
post #18 of Old 05-14-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayelynn View Post
QUESTION~Am I the only 1 canceling or has anyone else decided to be pro-active also to try to get rid of this horrific virus?
I don't want to get it and I sure do NOT want to be a carrier to any of my 24 accounts!
I got 9 cancels in the 1st week so I decided to cancel the rest myself.
March 17th, I was still quite the naysayer but have since done a 360 on that type of thinking!!
Just curious to see if anyone else has or has not canceled.
Thanks in advance and stay safe and healthy!!
Corona sucks!

Beauty
post #19 of Old 05-24-2020, 05:52 PM

Hope that all this is canceled
post #20 of Old 06-08-2020, 03:42 AM

maybe in two months well evething end, but you will never know how it 'll be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode