Dirty Microwaves - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Dirty Microwaves

Saw on pinterest a good tip for cleaning the inside of microwaves in your home or office. 2 parts water and 1 part vinegar (to remove odor) heat up in a bowl in your microwave for a few minutes. The steam from the water will make the food and other nasty microwave inhabitants able to wipe off with no problems. So much easier than scrubbing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM

This is what I tell my clients to do when they ask my opinion:
To soften up stuck-on gunk in the microwave, put a cup of water in it on high for 2-3 minutes. The steam will help loosen everything up! And be careful when removing the cup, it and the water will be HOT.

I have not tried using Vinegar in it to get rid of the odor but it makes sense to me! Might have to test that one out
post #3 of Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 AM

Well lots of sites provides good information about home cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 AM

I also use vinegar for cleaning microwave oven. Just fill a bowl with a mixture of half vinegar and water then heat for it 2 minutes. Take a sponge and dip it into the vinegar-water solution and wipe the wall of microwave. Vinegar can deodorize your microwave.

http://www.emergencycleaningservicemiami.com | smoke odor removal miami
post #5 of Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 AM

Some other methods are also there for cleaning the microwave but before performing any just gently wipe the microwave from inside to remove upper waste
post #6 of Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM

Totally agreed with sophielaura,this method really works well for cleaning.Saying this with my personal experience.
post #7 of Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 AM

great idea

I love the steam and vinegar idea!!! I hate cleaning microwaves!

Gary and Tara
Tara's Personal Cleaning Inc
516-297-0932
Long Island All Natural Home and Office Cleaning
post #8 of Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Great Tip!

I am going to try this method because my arms get so tired trying to scrub the tops of microwaves in awkward position. Thanks!!

Cleaning by N & J
post #9 of Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM

It is a good tip but for professional cleaning I use cleaning supplies from Akro. Do not compromise on cleaning as it affects the life of your expensive catering equipment.
post #10 of Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM

A quick and easy green cleaning tactic!
post #11 of Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 AM

i've tried the lemon trick where you cut a lemon in half and then put that in a bowl of water. the only issue is reading the microwave instructions they usually say don't put a bowl of water in them. vinegar to follow then also works.
post #12 of Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM

Using vinegar is good way to clean Microwave. Just for the people who doesn't know yet, NEVER use cleaning chemicals when cleaning the microwave.
post #13 of Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM

I cleaned my microwave with that pinterest method. I found it very useful.

My best friend just had a baby, and she's my age. So I'm a godmom now, which is crazy. grin:
post #14 of Old 07-03-2018, 11:38 PM

An enhancement hack to that would be the lemon or lime addition. Place a microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of water and a chopped up lemon, lime or orange or several tablespoons of vinegar in your appliance. Turn the machine on high for several minutes (or until the solution boils and the window is steamy). Let it cool for 15 minutes before opening the door, then remove the bowl and wipe the inside with a sponge.
post #15 of Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 PM
SNC

Very nice tips here, we usually use vinegar and water and that gets the job done. I will definitely try the Steam to loosen up the gunk in the future.
post #16 of Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Tyler View Post
I love the steam and vinegar idea!!! I hate cleaning microwaves!
Me too. Especially when the owners of the house are elderly and cannot SEE the mess they are making! I clean a mobile home every two weeks. The owners are in their upper 70's and not well. The kitchen floor was so grubby my feet STUCK on the floor the first time I walked in the other day. Sticky black messes on the floor. The micro has not been cleaned well in years. I do my best and the owners are very grateful, but it is a yucky sort of job. They have a parrot that lives in a cage in their bathroom. The floor and counters are covered in feathers and fluff and lots of other weird stuff. I like both people. They are nice and so appreciative for what I get done that it makes it all worthwhile. I lost a customer today and I do not know why. I sensed that something wasnt right and attempted to find out what was going on. NO success there. I am actually RELIEVED that I do not have to back there! No point in working for someone who dies not appreciate your hard work.

Microwaves are a pain, including my own! I like the vinegar/water thing. I usually spray mine with an all purpose cleaner, let it sit a while and then wipe it all off. PIA!!!!!
post #17 of Old 07-15-2018, 02:04 PM

I use water and vinegar as well and it works good. I've also used water and lemon juice. It smells alot better and cleans just as good if not better. Put the water/lemon mixture in a bowl and turn the microwave on for 3-4mins depending on how dirty it is. When it's finished simply wipe it out, and it's good to go. I never really measure the lemon juice out just eyed it really. I like it to smell fresh and clean afterwards; so I like lemon juice better.
post #18 of Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadam View Post
i've tried the lemon trick where you cut a lemon in half and then put that in a bowl of water. the only issue is reading the microwave instructions they usually say don't put a bowl of water in them. vinegar to follow then also works.

I seem to remember reading something about this. Does anyone else know why one shouldnt put a bowl of water in a microwave???? We put stuff like soup in them so why not plain water with some vinegar??
post #19 of Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM

post #20 of Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 PM

I do this, but with a damp/wet rag instead for about 30-40 seconds. Then use that rag to wipe it down. That way, the rag is already wet (and warm) and the stuck on stuffs is loose and wipes straight away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode