Disinfectant smell in flat. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
post #1 of Old 09-13-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Disinfectant smell in flat.

I'm about to move into a flat which is currently empty. There is a smell of disinfectant I'm having trouble shifting. I believe the previous tenant was incontinent. There's no carpet just vinyl tiling.
I want to carpet the flat but I want to get rid of this smell first and be sure I'm not carpetting over something sinister..
It's a council flat so the rent's easy on the pocket, so it would be nice to be able to get it up and running.

Any advice? I've tried sodium bicarb, eucalyptus oil. Currently trying just plain water on the vinyl tiling. The smell does seem to be coming from the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-14-2019, 04:20 AM

Although it would be much easier for you to hire a professional cleaner for the time. Still, here are some tips which you can follow for the future as well.

Stock up on bicarb soda
Bicarb soda, also known as bicarbonate of soda or baking soda, is an essential item. This humble, odor-neutralizing, all-natural ingredient is a great addition to your cleaning.

Open your windows
Flood your home with fresh air will work wonders when it comes to purging your rooms of pungent odours. If your problem area doesn’t have good air circulation, use a fan to push the fumes outside and draw fresh air indoors.

Eliminate bad smells with a spritz of vodka
Yes, you read that correctly. While vodka is a home bar essential as it’s a common ingredient found in many popular cocktails, it can actually serve a practical purpose, too– like a bacteria and odour eliminator.

Try versatile vinegar
Another natural, versatile and inexpensive household cooking ingredient-slash-cleaner that many people have in their pantry, vinegar can be used to neutralise an array of different odours that commonly plague the home. Simply leave a bowl of vinegar in a space that’s infused with a stubborn, nasty scent, and by the next day, the area should be odour free.
post #3 of Old 09-14-2019, 01:34 PM

bicard soda is the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-15-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

Someone I know who has worked as a cleaner said that bleach (I think that's what the smell is) is probably the best thing for dealing with the urine that has soaked into the vinyl tiling, and that I should just let the bleach do its work, leave the windows open as much as possible and that the smell would fade in time.
Would others agree?
Would covering the floor in a layer of bicarb of soda paste also help, and could I leave that there a few days?
post #5 of Unread Today, 09:48 AM

Oh dear, NO bleach on floors! You might damage it and then will have to pay for any repairs. Bleach is way too harsh.
Sodium bicarb is very safe and usually effective. Get a couple boxes of them, open them up and just set them down in several places, or maybe pour a 1/4 cup of it in saucers. Its cheap and effective. And mix it with water and perhaps a nice smelling all purpose cleaning to thoroughly mop the floor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode