Among a range of flooring choices, tiles are the most preferred one. Not only because they look attractive but they are also highly durable, easy to install, waterproof and above all, they are available in a plethora of designs. You can find many tile designs that will fit your house's interiors.
Another considerable factor is tiles need less maintenance as compared to other flooring materials. You can keep them clean and look for new years through proper cleaning techniques.
Here are some DIY tips for tiles and grout cleaning that would not only let you ensure deep thorough cleaning but will also increase the life of tiles.
- Don't wait until the tiles get dirty
The tiles can look new for long after they are installed but do remember that it will only happen if you will clean the floor on regular basis. Also, you would not be interested in using the strong chemicals on your floor (as they will degrade the tiles) or spending hours to scrub the floor, you should clean the tiles on regular basis. Don't wait for the tiles to get dirty, instead follow a proper cleaning routine.
- Don't let the dust and dirt accumulate on the tiles
- Sweep the tiles with 'Vacuum or a Dust Mop'. Don't use a straw broom as it will create scratches on the tiles.
- Once a week, mop the tiles with warm water to make them shine.
- Wipe the spills immediately, regardless it is water or any other thing. You can use an absorbent cloth for this and if the spills are hard, you should prefer using a disinfectant or a cleanser.
- Place doormats at the main door, in front of every room and especially at the bathroom door.
- Use special solutions to clean the stubborn stains
There come to the situations when even after mopping the tiles for longer, the stains and greasy residues are not removed. However, you don't need to worry; here are some DIY solutions for that.
- Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar in plenty of warm water and use it to remove the grease stains. If you don't have vinegar, you can use a 1/2 cup of plain rubbing alcohol as its substitute.
- Mix Floor Cleaner with fresh water and mop it to remove the hard grease.
- Mix scouring powder and warm water in equal proportions. Spread the mixture on the stains and let it sit there for 5-10 minutes. Scrub it with a soft brush and use warm water to rinse the tiles.
No matter how shiny and clean your tiles are, if the grout is dirty, it will not make any impact. So, you must take special care of the grout cleaning. What you need to do is making a paste of water and baking soda, applying it on the grout, let it sit for a particular time (depending on the factor that how dirty it is) and finally, scrubbing it with an old toothbrush. You must use warm water for rinsing the floor.
However, you should always avoid using the harsh chemicals on your floor as they can erode the tiles made of natural stone. Before using any chemical make sure is pH neutral and is safe to use on the tiles.