Don't want this business to fall apart. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ateasecommercialcleaning

post #1 of Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Don't want this business to fall apart.

Hello, friends!

This is my first post on this site. I have been looking for a community of professional cleaners to draw guidance from- I may have found it!

Here's where the business is at.

My partner and I have been in business almost a year now. We have done decently considering the amount of effort we have actually put into securing accounts over the last year. Currently, we are making a little over $2,500 a month.

Now here's the problem.

Our cleaning sucks (in my opinion). I mean we do a 'good' job. I have a problem with 'good' I want to be EXCELLENT!

I am noticing very dull and streaky floors in the restaurant we clean. This is a MAJOR issue as the owner is our biggest client.

We mop the floors using a chemical from our local janitorial supply chain. It is their own store brand.

The first question, is there a chemical that we should be using that is better? What is the community using to clean tile floors in restaurants?

Secondly, is mopping the best method? I am willing to invest in whatever technologies that will make the process easier and provide more satisfying results. Include those if possible.

Lastly, if mopping is a perfectly suitable method. What mop head, chemical, and technique should be used.

This is a lot- I know. But any answers will assist us big time!
TCCleaning likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 PM

I, too, struggle with these questions. I am seriously looking into buying a steam floor cleaner, as many of the floors I clean are tile of one kind or another. They are not cheap!

In residential homes, I currently use a fairly old fashioned method, but it works great. Vacuum first, of course. I use a Swiffer mop but do NOT use their icky wet pads. I use ordinary white washcloths, and I only use good, "safe" cleaning agents, such as Watkins or an H2O2 general purpose cleaner. I mop a small area and when the cloth stays white, it is clean. The reason I do this is because using a different sort of mop and a bucket, all you are doing is swishing dirty water all over the floor. I always have a Magic Eraser handy, for stubborn stains.

This works fine in most homes, but I am thinking about a steam cleaner because it would save time and energy.

I dont do any commercial cleaning right now. Just homes, and some of them are pretty large! For some reasons, most of my customers vastly prefer cleaning agents that SMELL nice. And yes, they cost more, but you dilute them, so over time it is not that pricey. It is worth the small extra expense, if it makes my customers happy.
post #3 of Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 PM

Restaurant cleaning is a whole other beast from cleaning any other type of facility. The amount of grease that builds up on their flooring is always a big challenge to remove. Not sure if you are cleaning the kitchen floor or out in the dining areas. Including a degreaser is very important as neutral cleaner alone won't cut it. Almost impossible to fully remove it all without machine scrubbing from time to time.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 AM

Restaurants are a real bear! There is so much ground in grease.

An automatic scrubber would do a better job on the floor, but they can be cumbersome and tough to get around equipment so that may not be the easiest or best idea.

Sometimes the problem is too much soap in your water.Dull windows that look filmy after they are cleaned.Too much soap.

Another thing, just because a chemical is good doesn;t make it the best for your application.

If I knew what type of floors you had I may be able to better advise you.

http://selz.co/1MugaHl
post #5 of Old 09-26-2017, 03:10 PM

I cleaned a large commercial kitchen TILE & Grout floor. Had trouble keeping it FREE of food grade grease, Tried Greased Lightning and several other Grease removers all Failed to remove the grease or left a greasy film. Searching the net I found Super Floor Degreaser at $90 a gallon. This stuff eats FOOD GRADE grease, using it the floors never looked so good. BUT MAY NOT BE Recommended for floors that have a water based finish . There are other products which do the same thing for a lower price. Basically the FOOD GRADE Degreaser is a BIO Enzymatic which eats the grease and turns the grease into a harmless gas & water which evaporates.
You just mop on the Super Floor Cleaner/Similar Product agitate with a clean brush and that's it. Depending on the grease build up it may take several applications. Usually the agitation is need for the 1st or 2nd application, after that it's just mop on and leave it.

Yes, I tried using my steam cleaner but once the grease is "melted/liquefied" you have to pick it up or push it to a floor drain. Mopping or pushing the liquid grease to a floor drain may leave a trail or residual grease.
Brad BD Janitorial
P S most Bio Enzymatic are ECO Friendly
post #6 of Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Good post and helpful. Thanks.
post #7 of Old 09-26-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahra352 View Post
Restaurant cleaning is a whole other beast from cleaning any other type of facility. The amount of grease that builds up on their flooring is always a big challenge to remove. Not sure if you are cleaning the kitchen floor or out in the dining areas. Including a degreaser is very important as neutral cleaner alone won't cut it. Almost impossible to fully remove it all without machine scrubbing from time to time.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
Do you also offer kitchen exhaust cleaning services?
post #8 of Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 AM

Great Post!

A Super de greaser would be Ideal!

I hope you find the best solution possible to keep the business up and running!
post #9 of Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 PM

Just try VINEGAR & little DAWN and if need scrubbing also add BAKING SODA.
I will use a KaiVac machine that sprays, scrubbs and vaccum too but no mops at all.

Tags
commercial cleaning , floor cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode