E-Myth Revisted - Michael Gerber - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

E-Myth Revisted - Michael Gerber

Has anyone read this book? If so, what are your favorite parts? How has it affected how you run your business?

I shared an excerpt in another post, but here is another one that rang out as so true (all credit to auther, Michael E. Gerber).

He talks about Tom Watson of IBM who shared how he saw his business when he first started...

"I had a model in my mind of what it would look like when the dream-my vision-was in place...I then created a picture of how IBM would act when it was finally done...unless we began to act that way from the very beginning, we would never get there...it would have to act like a great company long before it every became one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClnUpWoman View Post
Has anyone read this book? If so, what are your favorite parts? How has it affected how you run your business?

I shared an excerpt in another post, but here is another one that rang out as so true (all credit to auther, Michael E. Gerber).

He talks about Tom Watson of IBM who shared how he saw his business when he first started...

"I had a model in my mind of what it would look like when the dream-my vision-was in place...I then created a picture of how IBM would act when it was finally done...unless we began to act that way from the very beginning, we would never get there...it would have to act like a great company long before it every became one."
I find this very interesting. Would you say that he is saying that the "image" wasn't so much the important aspect, but that the "actions" were?

Actions speak louder than words.

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #3 of Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 AM

Angela, as a business person, E-myth will be the single most life changing book you will ever read. If you systemize your business and follow a majority of the advise given there you can almost guarantee you will be successful.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ken, I agree. I am re-reading the book and implementing every thing he suggests before I even attempt to hire another employee.
post #5 of Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
I find this very interesting. Would you say that he is saying that the "image" wasn't so much the important aspect, but that the "actions" were?

Actions speak louder than words.

Torrey
I think both are important. You have to see it, to implement it. I'm a tangible and visual person. I write everything down, step by step. So for me, the image is what brings about the actions.
post #6 of Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 PM

I read it and it had a big effect on me. I think it's a must read for anyone who wants to start their own business. A lot of my friends know that I've been running my own business for a while so some of them ask me what I think about their business ideas. I always ask "do you want to be self employed or a business owner?" When they stare at me with a puzzled look () I tell them to read the E-Myth and then we can talk!

I recommend that everyone read both The E-Myth and Rich Dad Poor Dad.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
post #7 of Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 AM

I've finally taken Ken's advice, I got the mp3 download and I've been listening to it like crazy.

I've basically learned I'm a technician suffering from an entrepreneurial seizure.

Barry Maddox
Midwest Pro Wash
post #8 of Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
I've finally taken Ken's advice, I got the mp3 download and I've been listening to it like crazy.

I've basically learned I'm a technician suffering from an entrepreneurial seizure.
{{{{Barry}}} I understand how you feel. Sometimes that book gets so deep and personal for me, that I just have to put it down. However, keep reading because it (the book) does bring all those three talents together in such a way that by implementing it's ideas, you'll bring about change in your business. It's a great book. I'm re-working my way back through it again...slowly but surely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode