Eco Friendly Cleaning, Telling the Real From the Fake - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Eco Friendly Cleaning, Telling the Real From the Fake

Eco-friendly is the big buzzword right now in the cleaning industry and manufacturers of cleaning and maintenance products have caught on to this trend, introducing eco friendly cleaning solutions to their products lines.

The main criticism with eco-friendly cleaning services and producs is that it’s a higher expense for something that has the same outcome as traditional cleaning solutions. Overall, it’s easy to wonder if you’re getting bang for that extra buck.

Now, you will see a lot of terms thrown around such as “green” “eco friendly” and “biodegradable” when looking at cleaning products or services. The truth is that companies will grossly exaggerate their green credentials in order to convince you that their products are non-toxic, non-corrosive and non-carcinogenic.

If this is the case, then how do you tell apart the real from the fabricated?

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Well, it is pretty hard but it is worth the efforts.
post #3 of Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM

I think that if you are going to claim to be a green cleaner, then you would use natural everyday products like household vinegar and bicarb of soda etc. All these so called 'green' chemicals I reckon still have an element of nasty to them. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have warning labels on them as being harmful if swallowed. just my opinion on this. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
I think that if you are going to claim to be a green cleaner, then you would use natural everyday products like household vinegar and bicarb of soda etc. All these so called 'green' chemicals I reckon still have an element of nasty to them. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have warning labels on them as being harmful if swallowed. just my opinion on this. :-)
post #5 of Old 11-09-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
+1 The real green cleaners are the gifts of the nature like : baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice ...

post #6 of Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
good point. I think the most of the "green" products rely on the selling effect of the word "eco". After all you can't do commesrcial cleaning with baking soda and vinegar.
post #7 of Old 11-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Using green cleaning products is great...but there is one bad side... I'm talking about myself, but I just can't stand with the smell of the vinegar...it's good for cleaning, but it's awful for me...and if somebody come to my house and clean my carpet, upholstery or anything else with this, I'll kick him in the ass
post #8 of Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNewton View Post
Using green cleaning products is great...but there is one bad side... I'm talking about myself, but I just can't stand with the smell of the vinegar...it's good for cleaning, but it's awful for me...and if somebody come to my house and clean my carpet, upholstery or anything else with this, I'll kick him in the ass
he he , well that's fair enough. I think there are some things that need something stronger but most things around the house don't.For example, I see so many of my friends buy these expensive bathroom cleaning products and in the end, they don't work any better than something simple like a good old fashioned soft scouring pad and a bit of baking soda made into a paste if you are going to go green. If a person needs really strong chemicals to clean their bathroom, then they might just need to clean a little more often than once a month
post #9 of Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 AM

In some cases you could change the vinegar with lemon juice ... the smell is much better

post #10 of Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanLee View Post
In some cases you could change the vinegar with lemon juice ... the smell is much better
Is it as efficient as the vinegar?
post #11 of Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM

My favorite eco friendly (actually, just natural) products for house cleaning are white vinegar, lemon, citrus solvents and baking soda.

Tom,
Winchester Cleaning Company
post #12 of Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 AM

I think too that the best all purpose cleaning 'tool' that I use is a product that's called 'Jif'. It's a creamy cleanser and all you need is a bit on the bath, showers etc which you can use in commercial cleaning situations. It's not 'green' as such but it is bio degradable. It's fantastic stuff. My partner just discovered it and went mad on the stainless steel kettle, toaster and whatever else was around and it all looks as good as the day we bought them. Great for polishing as well.
post #13 of Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 PM

Interesting discussion that I would love to have feedback from other contractors and companies.

We clean roofs chemically with the standard roofing manufacturers recommended solution. This is a hot topic among companies in our local market.

I have put together a page on my blog relating to Green Roof Cleaning and would love to receive feedback from other cleaning professionals whether you clean roofs or not. This way the article is more of an industry discussion and not a biased page by me. Obviously, when you read the page you will find my stance on the topic. I'm not just looking for pro-chemical contributions, if you are against the current chemicals recommended your contributions will not be left out.

Maybe some of the facts in the article need to be corrected. I would like the article to evolve into a community driven based discussion by cleaning industry professionals

If you make a contribution to the article to make it better you will receive proper credit. The site gets very good exposure and is crawled many times a day.

Follow the link, add your reply and we will discuss your contribution. If the participants agree it should be added to the article, I will edit the page with your contribution and provide a do-follow link.

Peerless Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida
(813)230-5915
Professional Shingle and Tile Tampa Roof Cleaning Blog
post #14 of Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Well said

Quote:
Well said

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
post #15 of Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm with you on this one, I myself can't stand the smell of vinegar. @SimonNewton

post #16 of Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
If you are going to be cleaning green you should be using enzymes not chemicals... Look into the differences.

We have already set up a sister company that is 100% Eco-friendly.
Check it out:

sanitizing phoenix

Still working on it but should have it completed soon.
post #17 of Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ PowerWash Pros View Post
If you are going to be cleaning green you should be using enzymes not chemicals... Look into the differences.

We have already set up a sister company that is 100% Eco-friendly.
Check it out:

sanitizing phoenix

Still working on it but should have it completed soon.
Interesting new concept I shall take a closer and might even write an article about this, thanks for sharing it with us.

post #18 of Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM

I have a non-toxic cleaning company and we don't use any of the so called "Green" products which are still chemicals but diluted. I would never use those since they still often have harsh chemicals in them. Simple Green is one example.

We make some of our own solutions and we also buy some products like BarKeeper's Friend and some Method Products. We have used vinegar and baking soda before and they work pretty well but some people don't like the smell of vinegar so we don't really use that.

Sharon
post #19 of Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbysyd View Post
I have a non-toxic cleaning company and we don't use any of the so called "Green" products which are still chemicals but diluted. I would never use those since they still often have harsh chemicals in them. Simple Green is one example.

We make some of our own solutions and we also buy some products like BarKeeper's Friend and some Method Products. We have used vinegar and baking soda before and they work pretty well but some people don't like the smell of vinegar so we don't really use that.

Sharon
We had some complaints before about the smell of vinegar and we had to drop it. But I've never heard of Barkeeper's Friend, what kind of product do they make?

post #20 of Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
You are right, i m totally appreciated with your comment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode