Environmentally Friendly Cleaners - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Environmentally Friendly Cleaners

A client of mine introduced me to Ecosense Melaleuca cleaning products...supposedly very eco-friendly. I have been using Method, but agreed to try what she had (on her home). They worked well and I didn’t feel gross afterwards. I looked the cleaners up on EWG and they give Melaleuca an “F”! They are supposed to be all-natural, yet EWG gives an F for possible cancer causing ingredients?? I might stay with Method. Has anyone gone to the EWG site to see how cleaners rank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-08-2018, 02:39 PM

The thing I don't like about this company (at least when I became aware of them ) is that they will not release ingredient list, nor will they provide a MSDS - which would show ingredients. My company needs to have these sheets on file. Also, they seem to me a MLM business so users of these products seem overly devoted to what I consider just an OK brand.
post #3 of Old 06-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Only goes to show that all the talk here about "green and natural products is often a load of hogwash. You simply cannot depend on reading companies promotional words, because a LOT of them outright lie."Plant-based" does NOT automatically mean SAFE.

I am no expert on trees and shrubs but Malaleuca trees grow easily here in Florida. In fact, they have sort of taken over our natural forests. I have heard it was imported in as a fast growing shrub. Well, it sure is. I have also heard that they can be toxic to animals and humans but I am not clear on how. Guess we all should do some research!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Okay - I just read a bunch of stuff on this. Malaleuca trees produce Tea Tree Oil, which ini the last few years has been touted as having anti-microbial properties. Duh - they tell you this so they can push their products!

Tea Tree oil can be toxic if ingested (taken by mouth). It can be toxic on the skin if too much is used. I have sniffed it in various stores and disliked the smell intensely. UGH! It doesnt even SMELL safe!
post #5 of Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 AM

I have not used them, looks OK to me.
post #6 of Old 06-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Great Topic & ?.. I use the Thymol based disinfectants such as benefect or concrobium and there are others that use thymol. Here is a Toxicity chart stating the toxicity categories of different classes of disinfectants such as Bleach, Phenols etc.
Brad BD janitorial

https://www.education.nh.gov/instruc...infectants.pdf
post #7 of Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Well, thanks for at least sharing some info.
I will stick to the stuff I use now, thank you very much! Most are plant-based cleaners, and they work fine and smell just clean and lovely. Most customers LOVE it when their home or office SMELLS clean and pretty.

Do you recall, some years back, when every bathroom (especially public ones-) stank of the old Lysol or PineSol products? UGH! Thatsmell made me feel disgusted, and it didnt even small CLEAN! It just smelled to high heaven.
post #8 of Old 06-21-2018, 05:21 AM

Try to use natural and environment friendly home cleaners that don't harm your family health. You can use vinegar and lemon for cleaning. Both are good and works well.
post #9 of Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 PM

Is there a National Association of Professional Vinegar/Lemon Juice Cleaners that I am unaware of??Because I'm starting to think they must sponser this site. There are so many really good low VOC,cost effective, cleaners available from janitorial supply companies that are far superior and do not create potential damage that vinegar and/or lemon juice can do to certain surfaces. I've been in this business full time for 13+ years... I have logged tens of thousands of hours directly involved, supervising and/or managing professional cleanings... there truly have only been 3 x where a vinegar solution was a useful/superior or manufacturer suggested choice. Professional cleaners know how/ what to order from supply companies...they don't concoct home made cleaning solutions out of lemon juice!
post #10 of Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Cleaning house is good for the spirit but it’s not always good for the environment. That’s because many of today’s cleaning products contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which, when inhaled or touched, can harm you and your family.

One product we have used successfully after hours of research is Urine off. Urine off is formulated with specialized enzymes and bacteria that break down urine (and other bodily discharges) that cause odors and stains in bathrooms. Ideal for tubs, tile, grout, toilet, sink, floor and walls. No harsh chemicals. Especially useful in homes where incontinence, pets or “poor aim” are a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode