Feeling Cheated - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-24-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to jbell0129
Feeling Cheated

Anyone ever get clients who lull you in thinking you have a long term deal but after 3 weeks start MAKING UP stuff to say you are doing a terrible job? If they only wanted my company for a month JUST say that. but dont lie and make up stuff like im not doing a good job. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 AM

That's a tough spot to be honest. I've had companies try to get information from us, as I'm sure many other bloggers have too, only to say that we are priced too high or make some random excuse up to keep their cleaning services in house or go with a less expensive company that uses our techniques.

I usually feel that if you get your foot in the door and have a contract in place people won't get rid of you at that point for no reason. It costs the facility manager, or whoever, more time looking into another company and putting those procedures in place--something no manager wants to do in such a short period of time. I don't mean to come down hard on you but have you looked in the mirror? Maybe your doing something wrong?? Hard spot to be put in for sure...

www.a1cleaningtechnologies.com

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill
post #3 of Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Lightbulb Cleaning service beware

If you don't have a signed quote before you start you'll have this happen alot~
They want the cheap repeat service price so that you can get them back in shape, then they move onto the next unsuspecting guy/gal.
Cleaning business owner beware.
I say price it out,if they want it get it signed before you start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Have a first time in price. You must make it 2 or 3 or 4 times what the normal cleaning price will be. And then if they talk bad about you after a few cleanings... this can go a few different ways. Like you said, don't talk bad about your cleaning IF it is good. And to YOU I say... this is a business... get over it and move on. These people weren't your friends. While you can't please everyone, you can please most people if cleaned correctly.

Or many, many, many, many people and companies don't like to hear/see the truth. Most people will defend their cleaning to their last breath... when in reality... they sucked. This relates back to... it's business. Be open, don't have tunnel vision. My sister used to get a lot of people to cancel and she would say, "oh, they said they don't have enough money" or some other excuse. I finally told her... people cancel and make excuses to cancel when you suck. And she said, "Oh no! People say the cleaning is great but they (insert excuse here)". So once again I said..... PEOPLE CANCEL WHEN YOU SUCK..... WHEN YOU SUCK... WHEN YOU SUCK!!! Now that I had her attention she asked well what can I do to not suck? And I told her it was simple... slow down... make sure things are dusted perfect... make sure that bathrooms are spotless... make sure the floors aren't dirty in the corners. When you are done... walk back through SLOWLY and check your work again. Look at it through the home owners eyes, not your eyes.

She has since thanked me for making her open her eyes and not have tunnel vision.
post #5 of Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 PM

I started a small local cleaning business about 1 year ago. In the beginning I needed to fine tune my cleaning techniques so I charged a lower rate. Over the year I've developed a cleaning style that made me more efficient. I also learned to spot the "good" customers from the "bad" customers. I now price myself comfortably by charging more per hour for the first cleaning, then if they use my service within the month they get a reduced rate. If the customer scoffs at the price then they aren't the one for me, and I move on.
Now my week if usually full with good paying positive customers, but that's because I always strive to do an excellent job, even on my bad days.
post #6 of Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM

I think I can help with your situation... One thing to always keep in mind AT ALL TIMES when dealing with sales or customer interactions, THEY ARE PEOPLE TOO. If you think about your post it's titled feeling cheated. The question you are not asking and you should be is, "If I as a professional cleaning provider did my job to the fullest extent, What is causing my client to FEEL CHEATED?" In business much like life if you don't consider that your customer wants to consume the exact same way you do, you'll struggle with keeping customers. "If you don't treat people the way you want to be treated, no one wants to deal with you." Your customers, want cleaning from your service cheaper than the hourly wage of an employee. If your business is charging by the hour as a business model, you are the more expensive product. So in short I would think about (A. Why did my customer feel cheated) (B. Am I, as a product competitive to other market options.) And I would like to add one more thing. In these situations always remember to ask "WHAT CAN MY COMPANY DO TO MAKE THE SITUATION BETTER." Or simply "Is there anything else we can do before we leave?" I would make that (C.) to think about. Hope this helps.

Aaron Walker: Owner/Operator/#Awesome
aswtilefloorcare .com

Last edited by A.S.W. Tile Floor Care; 04-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #7 of Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Feeling Cheated

I've made the mistake of undercharging for a first cleaning with the promise of regular cleaning schedule. When they turn out to be BS I've wasted my time working a hard clean. Now I charge more for first-time cleaning, if they use me on a regular basis I reduce the rate or charge a flat rate. That way I don't feel used.
post #8 of Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to jbell0129
thanks for the feed back guys. i am going to take a really hard look at myself and see what i can do better. everyone gave me some good things to think about.
post #9 of Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell0129 View Post
Anyone ever get clients who lull you in thinking you have a long term deal but after 3 weeks start MAKING UP stuff to say you are doing a terrible job? If they only wanted my company for a month JUST say that. but dont lie and make up stuff like im not doing a good job. Thoughts?
Yes happens all the time (not so much making stuff up but saying they want a long term service). Give them a discount on their 3rd 5th and 10th cleaning then see what they say! like 5% off your 3rd cleaning, 10% off your 5th cleaning, and 20% off your 10th cleaning. Then you won't have a problem and if you do, you got 10 cleanings out of the deal.
post #10 of Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 AM

Happened to us to a year ago, we had a this very eccentric single man who was extremely picky, his steam shower was his main trigger point. After a couple of months in his home all of a sudden out of nowhere we get calls about how his guests asked him if he quit his service he had, they thought the place was dirty, LOL!!

Oh he can get a better line than that. Trust me when we cleaned his home it sparkled. We agreed to separate ways since he became a waste of our time and gas.

JEFF FUKA - MANAGING MEMBER
MJK TOTAL CLEANING SERVICES, LLC
post #11 of Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM

it happens in every business and you cannot expect everything fair to you. You should also analyse your business and do not think blindly that you are the best and look into it if someone is saying thing. I like the option to charge more for first service and then reduced price. You will be able to identify the bad good customers occasionally and it will also help you quoting best price.

Organic Milk in Bangalore Organic milk in Bangalore, milk Property Tax Monitoring & Reporting Service | Accumatch is providing Property Tax Tracking and report service for property. Web Design Hyderabad, Web designing Companies in Hyderabad for any kind of web design. Website design company in Hyderabad for website design service in Hyderabad.
post #12 of Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Jbell, just never give up on it. Although you received some good feedback don't hang on it too long!

Best of luck

www.a1cleaningtechnologies.com

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode