Giving a price without seeing the property - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Giving a price without seeing the property

I notice that some cleaning businesses allow people to book or at least get prices without actually seeing the property. This gets more people to book because it's so immediate - more business. Although, you get burned every once in awhile with an extremely dirty house. Just wondering what people's take on this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 AM

It's 2015 and that is what a lot of people want. Just another reason I am out next year. This is quickly becoming a customer's market which = not as much profit for the business owner. And who is making it a customer's market.... lots of business owners. I have 2 buyers for 2 different areas lined up and an exit plan in place for 2016. I'm just watching the calendar at this point. It will be my final retirement from cleaning.

Now my new way of doing lawn care should profit atleast $50k in 2016 and double that in 2017. I had it going in 2015 but got rid of everything and starting over because I want to do things totally different than all the others and I bought the wrong equipment. Now I have learned and will kick some (*) in 2016!

Actually the girl that is buying one part of my business just put together her website and it has an online estimator on it.
post #3 of Old 11-03-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I think you're right Sprintcar. It seems to be a customer's market. People seem to want to set everything up & get prices without having you over.

I was reading about the success of Maids In Black. The owner has a website that you can book cleaning - one time/recurring immediately. The thing is that he uses independent contractors that he pays a % of the bill to instead of using employees. That seems like it would work because (I may be wrong but) I think independent contractors can receive less than minimum wage. He's therefore covered for bad houses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-03-2015, 10:05 AM

It will work as far as pay goes but they will probably be out of business very fast. Most cleaners need to be watched very close or else they tend to not do a very good job. They MIGHT find a couple that do an ok job but then they will fall to the next flaw on my list. With cleaning, it is a personal experience..... the home owner gets to know the cleaner and then hires the cleaner and leaves out the middle man. That's why I always kept up an outstanding customer service program. Either myself of 1 other personal always goes by to check the cleaner's work and to talk to the customers every day. It can work, it would just need a lot of time and money. Prolly lots of money to keep it afloat.
post #5 of Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Good points. I think employees are the way I'm going to go. Plus then I won't have to worry about labor/IRS & accidentally treating them like an employee.
post #6 of Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM

I could not imagine pricing without seeing the house/office first. There are so many variables that would make cleanings faster or slower that wouldn't be worth the risk in guessing.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #7 of Old 11-11-2015, 06:34 AM

Well, some businesses charge by the hour, and some people can only work so-many hours in just one day. That forces the client to prioritize which work needs done first. It took many days for a house to mess, so it can take many days to clean.
post #8 of Old 01-20-2016, 11:59 PM

I'd recommend only giving a estimate before seeing the property.
But nothing "set in stone" until seeing the property in person.
post #9 of Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM

Thanks guys
post #10 of Old 02-27-2016, 06:37 PM

You can just give a price range over the phone, but when you get there and it's much more than you expected, the client will understand...they know how dirty it is at the onset!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode