Grout remains in tile after installing - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Grout remains in tile after installing

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but hopefully someone can help.

We recently had a contractor install new 6x6 tiles in our bathroom that we recently remodeled. The tile is one of the "earth tone" colored porcelain tiles we purchased from Home Depot.

We noticed that after the grout has dried, some grout still remains on the tile, because the tiles has little indentations, or "divits" that apparently were too difficult for him to clean with his sponge.

Is this normal for this type of tile (with the natural indentations), or was he just lazy? Can it somehow be removed from the surface of the tile now that it has dried or is it there forever?

I'm actually more concerned with knowing whether this guy was lazy and just didn't clean the tiles well enough, or whether it's just the nature of the practice of grouting tile with little divits in them.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM

Hey Alex,

So your tile has ridges and divots in the tile, and your installer is saying he couldn't get to them? or am I missing something? Also, if you can get a picture posted on what your problem is, some of us might be able to help further.

If it's just a matter of the tile's uneven face that kept some grout, then yes, your installer was a bit on the lazy side because he could have easily taken a blade to scrape off any remaining grout.

as for removing the remaining grout, a decent acidic cleaner and a brush/blade and elbow grease should do the trick.

GL!
post #3 of Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Yes, that sounds like it should do it.. good luck with the project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevive View Post
Yes, that sounds like it should do it.. good luck with the project.
I'm still trying to get the pictures uploaded because I'm very interested in your thoughts on them. I should have the uploaded during the day tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode