Help with Quote - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Help with Quote

I only clean residentials. One of my clients just bought a 10173 sf office for his new business. He wants me to clean it! I have cleaned commercial bldgs for others just not myself. It has 3 conference rooms that are tile, 4 bathrooms with with one toilet in each and 2 have showers also. There is one kitchen. The rest it carpet. The thing is there are enough cubicles for 100 people but he is only starting with 7 people and he only wants it cleaned once a month. Any input would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 PM

well done

Hello CleanRite, congrats on a job well done. Clearly you do a great job with house cleaning to be afforded a chance at something larger, and I'd say over 10k sq. ft. is definitely larger!

First things first. There is a VERY bad habit in this industry to jump over the dollars to get to the dimes, so a word of caution about starting out at a one day a month pace. Albeit the need at this moment may be just that, I would advise you to look ahead 3,6,12,18, then 24 months, and piece together your operations plan in-conjunction with your business plan to account for the 'building usage' growth accordingly. Doing this will provide you 'the button' as they say in the poker world, or the stronger position when negotiating the pricing and terms of the agreement. If the building owner's intention is to just employ a handshake agreement, or base the deal on your established deal with their home, then be prepared to either negotiate it out, or simply jump for the dimes. If you want more advice on that piece of the puzzle, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

There are many, many, many on these posts who will tell you to count fixtures, measure floor types, and calculate a 'cleaning rate' to base your pricing from. I say those things are all well and good, BUT what really makes the difference in cleaning a building is none of that stuff. That's right, I said it. None of that matters. You know why? Because its all based on the age old mathematics of algebra, and anyone informed knows that algebra is a math for things that don't change. What everyone also knows, but very few understand - and even fewer know how to actively employ - is that when cleaning a building, EVERYTHING changes, and therefore your business plan, your operations plan, and your pricing list needs to reflect this. Fixtures and square footage do not matter because the factors that change, such as the local/regional environment, facility usage, human interaction, ventilation patterns, perceived appearance, the 4 seasons, even daylight savings time, does matter. And when you understand the 'calculus' and how to put all that together, you will have done yourself a big favor, and landed yourself a 'customer' that will 'buy' from you time and time again.

Just so I don't anger any of the forum Gods, I will add, that for a 1 day a month 'account' at 10k sq ft, with 7-10 people engaged in daily usage, you can anticipate a healthy mess, so allot yourself 10 hours on the time card to do a job that will keep you in good standing with the boss.

Best,

CW

think first, then clean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode