How do you deal with messy house members? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

How do you deal with messy house members?

What do you do when you work hard to keep the place clean and no one else makes the effort?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_myx View Post
What do you do when you work hard to keep the place clean and no one else makes the effort?
Probably not a lot you can do except stop.

I once put aside a dish, cup, knife, fork, and spoon for my own use and let the dishes of one individual sit in the sink for a day or two.
Then I put them under the sink.
After about a month he asked if I knew where the dishes were and I told him.
He griped to the boss who said that maybe I was trying to tell him something. It solved the problem.
post #3 of Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 PM

I used to live with a roommate who was extremely messy for a few months. She didn't wash dishes until there was not a single clean utensil in the house, has stocks of papers and books everywhere, her clothes were falling out if the closet, and once she dropped something she could trip over it 10 times and she still wouldn't pick it up. Even thought I had a puppy my house never smelled so bad before she moved in. It was horrible but instead of putting up with it I explained to her that it's not acceptable and she needs to respect that I live there too and clean up after herself. We agreed to wash dishes everyday (one day she would do it and the next I would). She eventually improved. It wasn't where I wanted it to be (I'm a clean freak) but at that point it was tolerable and it was only a short term arrangement so I just put up with it until she moved out. You have to be clear about your expectations and what you're comfortable with. Yelling won't help but stating your point clearly and not compromising will.

Life Maid Simple 280 Broadway, Suite 202-1, Providence, RI 02903 (401) 533-8074
Cleaning service in RI - House cleaning service in RI - Office cleaning service in RI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Response

I agree with Cinderella-Maid-Service. It's important that you tell people who are living with you to contribute to cleaning as much as you are. If you stay quiet, they will feel like it's ok and continue to make the mess.

www.bbcleaningservice.com

www.bbcleaningservice.com/blog
post #5 of Old 10-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Agreed. You have to have a meeting with everyone and agree on terms. If they don't do what they are supposed to remind them as nicely as possible.
post #6 of Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 PM

I am lucky that I do not have such problems at home! My children know that they have to keep their room clean and help with the regular maintenance of our home! However, if I had a problem with messy roommates I would definitely tell them that I do not approve that they do not take care of our home and they have to build some good cleaning habits.
post #7 of Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 AM

Take inventory of the cleaning supplies that are on hand; running to the store on cleaning day will disrupt the process, slow it down or even stop it altogether.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode