How to start your own cleaning service - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of Old 09-14-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

How to start your own cleaning service

Hello everyone,
I stumbled upon this site on accident. Still a bit confused on what's it all about. But if it's what I'm thinking, then I might be in the right place. I'm struggling to make ends meet here in my small town. So I was looking to offer services doing various tasks for my local community in order to make some extra income. Anything from babysitting, house cleaning and pet sitting. I don't work for a company. I don't even think there's a cleaning service in my town. So I'm looking to offer my services on my own. My question is, how do I start? I was thinking about putting up flyers around my neighborhood advertising my services, put an ad in a community-wide bulletin, or use social media, like facebook, to try to gain business. But I think the best approach would be to go door to door and talk with people. I'm a little afraid that some may just find this annoying and I might be wasting my time. Has anyone tried this with success? And another question. How much do you charge for cleaning services? I was thinking a flat rate fee of $50 dollars per cleaning. Or is that too much? I really need the extra income. So I'm sorta desperate here to come up with ideas. Thanks.
magicleanmaid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 PM

What town do you live in?
post #3 of Old 09-14-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I live in Brenham, Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 PM

Oh yes, knew it well back in the 80's. Ok, not well, but I was there

My ex sister in law's sister lived there.... WOW

Anyway... Yeah, you are kinda stuck. But I promise you, the 45 minute drive to Cypress would be well worth the trip. You could make $150-$200+ a day if you clean 2 houses in Cypress.

Is that possible to make the drive?
magicleanmaid likes this.
post #5 of Old 09-14-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I could do that. I'm used to driving long distances lol. Where would I go in Cypress though?
post #6 of Old 09-14-2015, 11:09 PM

Well, let me do a little research. Is Tomball about the same distance?

Before I put any effort in to this..... how old are you? What cleaning experience do you have? Give me a little past experiences. If you would rather pm me the answers that's ok too. Atleast you answered where you are at so you are ahead of a lot of people. There are people from here that want me to help but until I know where they live I have to give generic answers... and I hate generic answers.
post #7 of Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm 32 and living at an expensive apartment complex that I can barely afford on my own so that's why I am looking for extra income besides my job working retail. It's really hard to get decent hours. I still have longer on my lease and this is the only apartment complex I feel safe in which the others are very shady and not much less. I don't have any cleaning experience. I've mainly worked retail my whole life. So I know that might be an issue. But I'm very clean and organized. And I believe Tomball and Cypress are about the same distance but a Tomball might be about 10 minutes further from Brenham.
post #8 of Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Well, cleaning your own has is nothing like cleaning for others. Email me at

[email protected]
post #9 of Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 AM

I always get a kick out of the people that come here and ask for help... then I tell them I will help... and they are to never be heard from again. Happens all the time. I think they are using the excuse of not knowing in order to not have to actually do any work. Then when I tell them I will help.... they run because it involves work!

There is 1 thing for certain... the house ain't going to clean itself!
post #10 of Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 PM

Hi there I am also going to be starting a cleaning business. My husband started it with a franchise named Coverall and that was rather pricey and I hated how much they took in royalties. But anyway, I'm deciding to do it on our own as a husband and wife crew at 1st. The problem is, I know nothing about commercial cleaning and he has no clue about the business portion of the business. I am very business savvy, but do not want to come off as the amateur I am. Please give me some advice.
post #11 of Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM

You certainly made the right choice by not starting out with Coverall and looking to start your own business. Start reading some books and checking old posts to get more information.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #12 of Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 PM

If you can afford it, USPS.gov has a tool that allows you to mail directly to a neighborhood or mail route. If you want to target an area I would suggest doing that. Going door to door might be a waste of your time, most people work during the day and if someone came to my house in the evening asking to clean it I would be turned off right away
post #13 of Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM

good luck!
post #14 of Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 AM

post #15 of Old 02-24-2016, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to frankkruemmel
Hello there fellow Texan. There is always money to be made in cleaning! Good thing is that you are still in a relative small town. So I would say that trust and including getting the good word out goes a long way. You may want to charge at least enough to cover your cost. One person can only do so much. This is a elbow grease labor business. To get it right the first time is very important. Tell your clients what your cleaning specialty is. Don't take on more you can chew. You get busy once the word gets out that you do a good job. Be also efficient with your time. Getting engaged into a long conversation with a client can really compromise your time. Call that meet and greet, this are the areas that we are going to clean and get right onto it. Make sure your write down somewhat of a quote. I suppose it it also important to be careful when it comes to handling items around the house so that they don't break. A friend of mine started his cleaning company in Austin in early 2000 and know has 27 cars with 1 cleaning crew each. Some do it right and some don't see the big picture. The big picture is to be organized and efficient. My 2cents.
post #16 of Old 02-27-2016, 01:42 PM

best of luck! There's great money in it, so I'm sure you will do well.
post #17 of Old 03-26-2016, 01:17 PM

All the best! This business is surely profitable.
post #18 of Old 04-23-2016, 05:54 AM

Advertise your on demand business on SameDayPros, a GPS based company that connects consumers to same day local professional on demand home cleaning service providers in their local area.

Best Luck!!!!
post #19 of Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Good luck! I know that starting any business is tricky. But great money lies in the cleaning business. You just have to know your customer and have good employers.

Need insurance - ubezpieczenie? Check out http://polplan.co.uk/
post #20 of Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM

good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode