I need help!!!! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I need help!!!!

I'm new to this side and I all ready have a question, so anybody who can, please help, your opinion is very important.
I been doing contruction cleaning for over a year, and I just placed a bid for this builder, my prices are .20 cents per sq ft in final cleans, windows included and .05 cents per sq ft on touch ups, The builder think that, is to high, his cleaners usually charge .10 to .12 cents per sq ft on finals and under $100.00 dollars on touch up. The builder would like me to adjust my prices, what do you think guys? it is worth it?
I may add He is a residential builder and their bigger house is about 3250 sq ft. any advised please, wil be apreciated.

Last edited by Schaffer Service; 08-29-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Help please!!!!

I forgot!!! I am from Pennsylvania.
post #3 of Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM

Try explaining to him where you stand (assuming you are not flexible on your rates) and the reasons why. unless you feel that the prices you quoted him are your absolute minimum to pay yourself and overhead then you may have to look at your margin and see if you can lower it and still come out making a profit.

Evelyn

Express Commercial Cleaning
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Do the numbers and see if you could do it for less, this could be more than one account so in the long run you could be ahead. Now dont do it for free but if you can drop it a little I would rather gain an account than loose it. You bid .20 he wants .10 maybe meet in the middle let him know he will be happy with your work and throw in something to win him over.

GL
post #5 of Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 PM

I would have to agree with spotless Janitorial.... Work your numbers and set your pricing where you are comfortable. Do not - repeat - do not allow anyone else to dictate what you charge, there are too many people in this industry undercutting the pricing because they have no concept of what it actually costs them to run a "Legitimate" business.
post #6 of Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM

^^+1...under-bidding is horrible, I went to a bid once and they were basiclly telling everyone the lowest bid as you came in to try to get the lowest bid. It makes me mad, this is a business make it worth it or no need to do it for free.

post #7 of Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 PM

If the person who hands me a RFQ with the statement that the lowest bid is.......... I respectfully decline on the spot telling them (nicely mind you ) that once they are completely done working with the low ballers they know where to find me, I after all have been around for 22 years while Larry/ Leona low Baller will only be around for another couple of months
post #8 of Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM

How do you guys bid per square foot on construction cleanup? It takes longer (a lot), but I walk through each room because I often run into places that have windows with tons of over spray, VCT floors with mortal on them, carpets with lord knows what ground in and other crazy areas such as that. If I bit per square foot and ran into just a few rooms that were over the top dirty I'd loose my shirt.
post #9 of Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Thank you everyone for your replies,
They are very helpful.....

What I am thinking is...
3,250 sq. ft. house, I need approx. 20 hours to do a final clean,
so if I pay $9.00 dollars per hour ( 20 x 9=180 ),

I will use about $80.00 dollar in gas and supplies,
That will bring me to a total of $260.00.

If I bid on this contract .10 cents sq. ft. what I will be getting on a house this size is $325.00 witch will give me a profit of $65.00 give or take (to limited).

or if I bid (witch I feel more comfortable with) .15 cents sq. ft. I will be getting $487.50 on a house this size, witch will give me a profit of $227.50 give or take.

Let me know if I am right or not, please help out...

Last edited by Schaffer Service; 09-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.
post #10 of Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM

i dont know about anyone else but 227.50 versus 65.00 on a clean up job sounds like it is right because all that work for a profit of just 65.00 dosn't realy seem worth it to me
post #11 of Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 AM

I don't think that you are charging enough. $65 is basically break even if you ask me. All relative depending on what your margin goals are.
evelyn
commercial cleaning in austin
commercial cleaning in round rock

Express Commercial Cleaning
[email protected]
post #12 of Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM

That is not my area but, I would advise you to try and come up to an agreement with this builder, because the way things are going we can't let any jobs go away, specially a kinda job like that one that you could have a client for a few years.

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
post #13 of Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 AM

Don't give up, just remain consistent to your price, if he really like your work, he will agree at your price
post #14 of Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
3,250 sq. ft. house, I need approx. 20 hours to do a final clean
Is the 20 hours your average for PCC? That is 162 sq'/hr. I have been at this for almost 2 years and it is very, very seldom that I can even average 150 sq'/hr. Spec cracker box 2000 sq'/- houses - yes we can clean that quick. But 'custom' 3000 sq'+ we usually average 90 - 120 sq'/hr.

If I were estimating this house my minimum assumption would be 32 hours.

If possible could you start another thread in PCC that tells your process on cleaning so quickly?
post #15 of Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer Service View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies,
They are very helpful.....

What I am thinking is...
3,250 sq. ft. house, I need approx. 20 hours to do a final clean,
so if I pay $9.00 dollars per hour ( 20 x 9=180 ),

What about matching taxes and workmen's comp? That employee (even if it is you) is actually costing you closer to $13 per hour. $260

I will use about $80.00 dollar in gas and supplies,
That will bring me to a total of $260.00.

now : $340

You forgot vehicle wear/tear depreciation, insurance, bookkeeping/accounting, phone, marketing/advertising/acquistion cost, equipment depreciation etc. $30

Now you are at: $370

You also forgot a company profit of 10%: This is your cash flow and what grows your company: add another $40

Now you are at: $410

Now you have to factor your own salary: $400 (I assume you want to make a paltry couple hundred per day at least)

Now you are at: $820

If I bid on this contract .10 cents sq. ft. what I will be getting on a house this size is $325.00 witch will give me a profit of $65.00 give or take (to limited).

or if I bid (witch I feel more comfortable with) .15 cents sq. ft. I will be getting $487.50 on a house this size, witch will give me a profit of $227.50 give or take.

Let me know if I am right or not, please help out...
Good lord, even at your $227.50 using your numbers (which are not realistic) for 20 hours work???? $10 per hour??? and this guy wants to lowball you? I'm just on the outside looking in so I must be missing something.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #16 of Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM

These posts have been a nice reminder of why I advertise that I DON'T do post-construction work. I was screwed by several builders early in my career. They seemed to have a low opinion of cleaners and wanted to pay them as little as possible. They were also slow-pays. I would much rather work with the end users: the homeowners. They care and they appreciate good work. And they pay on time.
post #17 of Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 AM

Shaffer - did you get the job? If so how did it turn out. Did you underbid or come out with a decent profit.

Quote:
I was screwed by several builders early in my career.
Don - i agree that some builders want you to work for 'nothing' and take advantage. I worked for some.

But you know the best thing about owning your own business you can fire your builders just like they can fire you. And I have 'fired' a few.

In the early stages I took what I could get, was taken advantage of by several builders. Built up clients - got rid of the builders that had poor work ethics not only in the way they treated subs, but also in the way they built their homes.

I am sticking with PCC. We freeze in the winter and boil in the summer but for me it fits me more than the alternative. I don't like the nighttime work of most commercial or the nick-nack dusting of residential. But that is just me.

Regardless of which line we are in we need to know our bottom line going in and add the profit we want to make and either take the job or leave it. Once you set a price with a builder it is difficult to even get $.01/sq' more.
post #18 of Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer Service View Post
I'm new to this side and I all ready have a question, so anybody who can, please help, your opinion is very important.
I been doing contruction cleaning for over a year, and I just placed a bid for this builder, my prices are .20 cents per sq ft in final cleans, windows included and .05 cents per sq ft on touch ups, The builder think that, is to high, his cleaners usually charge .10 to .12 cents per sq ft on finals and under $100.00 dollars on touch up. The builder would like me to adjust my prices, what do you think guys? it is worth it?
I may add He is a residential builder and their bigger house is about 3250 sq ft. any advised please, wil be apreciated.

i am starting out with a new construction cleaning business here in vancouver, canada
by all my research there really isnt that much difference between where you are and where i am; the prices are basically the same
i have found that builders do pay less than if it were just a family building a house to move into
the way you do pricing is quite different; depending on the amount of bathrooms, kitchens, dirt, paint on things etc. we may charge more or less, but for the 1st clean we charge by the square foot, then if we have to go into a unit or room after it has already been cleaned, we charge by the hour
i think your price is great! if you are only sticking to interior windows that are included in the price, i would say that maybe you could go down to 18 cents, but really it all depends on what the job looks like
if you are doing all the windows included in that 20cents then they are getting a steel;
as for the 5 cents sq ft for re-cleans, i havent done the math to see how that works,, but you could charge by the hour, recleans dont take long so you could charge anywhere from 18 to 25 an hour, stick to your guns
as everybody tells me "remember; they NEED you"
post #19 of Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 PM

post #20 of Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanJean View Post
Nice site...thanks a bunch!!!

suzi g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode