I'm NEW and have questions! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I'm NEW and have questions!

Hi everyone, I've been cleaning homes only since last summer. I am going full time into it and starting to get business in order. I do have a few questions if you don't mind, and one is about a new client already.

I have been charging by the hour, but have read that it's good to charge by the job. What is typical, and how do you know what to charge for a job if you've never cleaned that home?

I was asked to clean only someone's hardwood floors, linoleum, and carpet. I replied I only vacuum carpets, and that I'd get back to them about their floors. I find it an odd request to not clean their home, but just their floors. Has anyone had this happen? And what did you or would you respond with?

That's it for the moment; don't want to be a pain! Thank you so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 PM

Well, I'll answer your floor question first. You need to set a minimum price that you will charge for any job. What price makes you get off the couch and go to a home to clean it? For us, we have a $60 minimum and for us it QUICKLY goes up. If a job takes 25 minutes we need $60 to show up to do it. You must make your own minimum. Figure in drive time, gas, wear and tear on your vehicle and all the other things that it takes to get the job done.

Our answer if someone would have called us about only doing those floors would have been the same as any other phone call we receive. Can I get your name and address and a time for me to come look at it and give you a price?

Now you might be thinking.... but what if they say they just want a price and don't have time for me to come over. That's a lie... they have time. What you have is another cleaner wanting to know your prices. I don't know why other cleaners do this.... your business has nothing to do with their business. Anyway, my people are instructed to tell people if they don't have time for an estimate the price will be a minimum $750 and explain we have NO IDEA what we are getting in to so we must charge that to protect ourselves. At that point they are only wasting your time so the faster you get them off the phone the faster you can make money with a real customer.

Now to your first question. You know about how long it takes you to clean a house.... when you walk in to any house you can about tell how long you will be there. I can tell when I walk in how long a first time in will take and I can EASILY tell how long it will take on a regular basis (weekly/bi-weekly/4 weeks). Now that you have the time... how much do you charge per hour? Take those two number and multiply them and you have your answer.
post #3 of Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. After getting more info out of this lady, she really needs to hire a professional who does floors. She wanted me to shampoo her carpets as well. I told her I do house cleaning and am not a carpet care professional nor do I specialize in hardwood floors. Can I clean a hardwood floor? Sure, but it will be at my normal rate. And I can vacuum lol. I haven't heard back....oh well. And about the rate, I have clients I charge by the hour and usually take 3-4 hours depending on the house. It works for them. I think from now on I will do it by the job like you said. Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-10-2015, 06:30 AM

We charge both by the hour and by the job. For example, we charge by the hour for regular cleans and by the job for bigger jobs such as end of tenancy or deep/spring cleaning.
Cleaners Raynes-Park

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode