Mold Remediation... My Quandry - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mold Remediation... My Quandry

Hi Everyone:

I moved into this house 2.5 years ago. It had a lot of hidden problems, one of which was mold in the basement. The basement has suffered from a humidity problem I would guess since the house was constructed (1949). One problem is groundwater seeping through the floor and the other is the lack of insulation of the foundation walls. A lab test showed that there are mold spores of the pen-asp group in the air. Anyways, I am about to have an interior French Drain installed, but the floors and internal walls need to be stripped. I am quite sure there is mold behind the walls, and/or below the floors. My quandary is that I can have my renovator guy come in strip the walls and floor and cart the debris to a bin outside; or I can have a professional remediation company come in and do the same but much more carefully sealing the space and scrubbing, hepa vacuuming and disinfecting the concrete walls and floor and whatever is left of internal walls. Normally this decision would be a no-brainier, but I am going to be paying $1,000 for the first option and $5,500 for the second. Since the bill for my French Drain and subsequent reconstruction and air dehumidifier-purifier will be hefty I am hesitating to pay the larger amount. Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

-Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 PM

I have 5 years experience in water/fire restoration restoration. i totally understand the situation you are in. Your trying to save money. It seems like any other remodeling choice - save money by having an inexperienced person do the work or pay more with a professional. However your really playing with not only your life here but all that live in the house. If not handled properly the mold will spread. Thing is you wont realize it until years later and people start getting sick.

Are you really going to take that risk?

If a professional mold remediation company does the job and something happens down the road, they are responsible. Now if your handyman is willing to accept the same responsibility, then go for it. I doubt that he will though.
post #3 of Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Do you mean that the mold will spread due to the demolition, or after the demolition is done? After the walls and floor are stripped I plan to have an industrial strength dehumidifier/air freshener designed to eliminate mold spores. So my question is, will the demolition itself spread the mold?

Thanks,

-Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-28-2019, 08:36 PM

yes, you have to contain the mold spores during demo
post #5 of Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 AM

robertrice

I had had a problem of mold when i moved to Colorado US, mold was looking very awkward and day by day that was getting growth on the walls near washroom and garden after too much searching i found a mold removal company in steamboat then i got ride off from that problem by Service Master Colorado ServiceMaster Cleaning & Restoration by SteamExpress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode