Nathan?? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Nathan??

Who is 'Nathan'?? Are you in the pwash industry, or a related industry, or do you simply start forums? There is no info on you on your public profile, so I am curious. Thanks!

jf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Hey Jon and welcome to the site and thanks for joining.

That is a fair enough question and I'll do my best to answer it.

My Background:
When I was in college I worked for a painting company doing power washing and repaints to make enough money to get through school and get married. I worked for a guy named Jud who taught me most of what I know about the industry and he gave me a tone of great insight.

After college I went into the tech industry but quickly found that the job I had done in college to get through college had turned into a passion. My problem however was that I didn't know how to start a business, how to market myself, or how to estimate.

After doing a little bit of searching online I found a painting forum and in a few short months I found all the info I could ever need. It was amazing how helpful this forum for painters was. I also surfed around a few other forums for other trades such as landscaping, roofing, etc... What I found was very interesting. About 50% of the knowledge on the site was trade specific such as talking about paint brands, application techniques, and so on. But the other 50% of the knowledge was the same between all the sites. Everyone was talking about what flyer was working, online leads, and so on.

After seeing how similar the topics between all the trades were I decided to start a forum that would bring all the trades together. The goal was to have shared forums for business, marketing, tech, etc.. but then individual forums for the specific trades. So you could still talk with your trade buddies but benefit from having more input on the business end. The result was www.ContractorTalk.com which was started about 2 1/2 years ago and has been a huge success.

I have since shut down my painting business and have taken a desk job so I can focus on my websites. ContractorTalk.com gets over 5,000 unique people on it every day and it takes a lot of effort to keep it running as well as it does.

Anyways, about 6 months ago I got the idea to try and do the same thing for the Cleaning and Restoration industry that I had done for the Construction and Remodeling industry. Create a forum where all the different cleaning trades could come together and share business, marketing, and other general conversations but then have individual forums so you can focus on your trade such as power washing, residential house cleaning, etc...

So far I think this site has been a huge success and I believe in time you will see the benefit of this system.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. I'm not just a guy who starts tons of forums for fun. I've worked in the trades, owned trade related companies, and have even worked as a construction manager for a large national homebuilder. I believe in bringing the trades together and making them stronger as a whole.

I'm open to answer any questions you guys may have about me or my background.

Thanks

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
post #3 of Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

That's a great answer! I was surprised nobody had asked, it seemed like a Pink Elephant so I thought I'd throw it out there. Since I am sure you love suggestions , have you contacted people in the surface preparation industry and tried to get them in??? I mean sandblasting, etc. I've looked for a forum for that specific topic before, to no avail. Perhaps they lurk at the painting sites?? Good luck on your white collar endeavors. I can appreciate that. I'll have to check out the other site as well, sounds interesting. Glad to know your background!

jf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-06-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Clarification: Another related site added a forum today as well for the trade I previously mentioned. Not five minutes after mentioning blasting on here, I noticed it had been added to this other site earlier today. I had no idea of this. I WAS NOT asked to post this info from the 'other forums' admin. Two people simply had the same thought at the same time, and I want to apologize for being a clutz!
post #5 of Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 PM

Always open to suggestions Jon... Thanks!

I'm trying to keep the length of the homepage down so the site remains easy to navigate so I'll have to figure out where this should go and when. We will be adding more forums ad we grow.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming. I need all the help I can get.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode