need help with pricing - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-15-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

need help with pricing

Just landed an apartment complex move in move out job. It took two of us 4 plus hours to clean a three bed two bath townhouse. Curious what i should be charging them? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 PM

Before I start my answer you must understand what a MAN HOUR is. Lots of people do not know what it is. Let's say it took you 4 hours 30 minutes.... x 2 people that is 9 man hours.

There are a few things here:
1. Don't ever do a job first and set the pay rate after the job is done. The odds are slim to none that you will actually make any money from a job like that.

2. No one except YOU knows how much you want to make an hour. Take the amount YOU want to make an hour and times it times 9.

3. We would charge a minimum of $350 and up to $750 for something like that. When doing move outs on houses you can get those prices. As for charging those prices with an apartment complex... there is a reason you got hired on to do the job and that is because they've screwed every other NEW cleaner in town. I say new because a seasoned cleaner with any sense won't want these types of jobs because they don't pay near enough. You might get lucky but I'd say if you get $100 for the job you will be lucky. But things would have had to have drastically changed for you to make any more than that. Yeah, there might be a few that pay half way decent but they are few and far between. That is why they didn't push you to set a price. When you give them a crazy price for crazy man hours thy will reject it and pay you about $10 an hour.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I can tell you in this area the carpet cleaners still get $35 for a 1 bedroom apartment and apartment cleaners have been raised to $55 for a 1/1, $65 for a 2/1 bedroom and $80 for a 3/2 bedroom.

You see, in a real business, we charge that much to clean a refrigerator and a stove and that is why none of the bigger companies will clean empties. If they were worth our time don't you think we would already be all over it?

Good luck and let us know if they go for a decent pay rate or not.
post #3 of Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Before I start my answer you must understand what a MAN HOUR is. Lots of people do not know what it is. Let's say it took you 4 hours 30 minutes.... x 2 people that is 9 man hours.

There are a few things here:
1. Don't ever do a job first and set the pay rate after the job is done. The odds are slim to none that you will actually make any money from a job like that.

2. No one except YOU knows how much you want to make an hour. Take the amount YOU want to make an hour and times it times 9.

3. We would charge a minimum of $350 and up to $750 for something like that. When doing move outs on houses you can get those prices. As for charging those prices with an apartment complex... there is a reason you got hired on to do the job and that is because they've screwed every other NEW cleaner in town. I say new because a seasoned cleaner with any sense won't want these types of jobs because they don't pay near enough. You might get lucky but I'd say if you get $100 for the job you will be lucky. But things would have had to have drastically changed for you to make any more than that. Yeah, there might be a few that pay half way decent but they are few and far between. That is why they didn't push you to set a price. When you give them a crazy price for crazy man hours thy will reject it and pay you about $10 an hour.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I can tell you in this area the carpet cleaners still get $35 for a 1 bedroom apartment and apartment cleaners have been raised to $55 for a 1/1, $65 for a 2/1 bedroom and $80 for a 3/2 bedroom.

You see, in a real business, we charge that much to clean a refrigerator and a stove and that is why none of the bigger companies will clean empties. If they were worth our time don't you think we would already be all over it?

Good luck and let us know if they go for a decent pay rate or not.
Very well said. These types of jobs are rarely profitable as clients are rather stingy with pricing. The amount of work to be done is just too much for competitive pricing to even matter. I guess it's a good experience for starters but you really should've gave them at least a $500 quote depending on how you assessed the area and work from there before doing the it.

I doubt you'd be getting as much as you will ask for now since it's already done. Next time, it should be asses the area, give a quote and negotiate if needed. If the price is too low then don't waste your time and move on.

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-16-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

The first cleaning was basically an interview at a low discounted rate. hey now expect a full quote. I appreciate your input. To answer the question the only paid 100 for it. And i deffinetly cant make any money at that price. So my wife and i are putting together a qoute for them now. We figured we could make a profit at 250 base price for 4 hours and 35 dollars an hour after that. What do you guys think?
post #5 of Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 AM

It depends how you break down the 4 hours (actually 8 man hours because for 2 of you it is 4 x 2). Is it 4 hours or 4 man hours? I ask because 4 hours (x2) x $35 does not = $250 and 4 man hours x $35 does not = $250.

Either way it probably doesn't matter because the odds are less than slim they will pay anywhere near that much.

But I did hit the $100 mark on the head.

Like I said, if there was money in empty apartment cleans don't you think everyone that has been in business would already have them secured?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode