Newbe - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-15-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Newbe

Hello, I am a social worker and a single mom. I took on a house cleaning contractor position to supplement my income. I've never done this before. I have my first cleaning job tomorrow and its a 5 hour job. I'm really nervous!! The customer said she wants me to focus on window seals, ceiling fans, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping. How is that going to take 5 hours? Its a 4 BDRM 3 bath house. Customer is also going to be home. Agency charges and pays by the hour. I like it because I can choose which jobs I want based on my schedule. I work my social work job M-F. I did book some cleanings during the evening during the week.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 AM

Well, the red flags for me are:

How does anyone know how long it will take YOU to clean?

How does anyone know ahead if time it will take anyone 5 hours?

How are you a sub contractor if they are telling you how long it will take to clean?

How are you a sub contractor if they pay you by the hour?

My suggestion to you is to go to IRS.gov and read what a sub contractor is. There are high profile companies out there right now that are about to be in DEEP **** with the IRS because of what they are doing.

Here is how you are a sub contractor.... basically for YOU to be your OWN business and are paid per job and no one tells you how to do things. Are you a legal business? If the answer is no, then you are an employee and they MUST take out the normal taxes just as your day job does. Don't get yourself in a bind working for these idiots.
post #3 of Old 08-16-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

This agency has a smart phone app for customers to book their services. The agency charges the customer an hourly fee based on bedroom/bathroom size. I agree this isn't very accurate as I've seen 3 bedroom homes that are 1200 sq ft and 2 bedrooms that are 1700 sq ft.
I tried to advertise on my own, but received no calls. I thought I would start off with this agency for awhile and see if I can get any calls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-16-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

If I do end up finding customers on my own how do I determine pricing. I've tried to see what others are charging, but their prices aren't posted. I am in Texas in the Fort Worth metroplex.
post #5 of Old 08-16-2015, 11:04 AM

Where are you in Ft Worth? Down by Burleson or in north Ft Worth?
post #6 of Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Not sure if you are familiar with the area, but I live in Roanoke and near Keller, South lake, Flower mound, and Grapevine. North Fort Worth isn't too far either.
post #7 of Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 AM

Going to pass by you today on the way to Nebraska Furniture Mart

I can help you..... I just have to think about how would be best. I actually had a deal set up with a person from here to get them customers then I think I made them mad because I had a lot of other deals going on at the time and asked them to remind me who they were and which deal we had going.... they never returned my message so I give my own self a bad review for that. lol But I might think about doing the same deal with you where I get you customers... let me think about it.

I live up on a hill in north Ft Worth and can just about see Roanoke from my living room window. I can see the water tower in Southlake and that house on that tall hill out by 114. That house on the hill is actually blocking my view from seeing further north.
post #8 of Old 08-16-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Nice to meet you neighbor! . I am greatly appreciative of any help you can offer and I won't get mad if you get busy! My oldest daughter turns 18 next year and child support stops even though I'll still be supporting her. My social work job isn't cutting it & barely making ends meet.
My grandmother raised me in Illinois and she owned a hair salon. I was the shop cleaner from the age of 10 to 19 and my grandmother was very picky and meticulous. I know I can do it!!
post #9 of Old 08-16-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

My job today is all the way in Allen and its from 3-8.
post #10 of Old 08-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Dang... probably half your pay for gas and tolls unless you take the feeder road when possible.

Send me a private message when you get home or tomorrow or when ever.
post #11 of Old 09-03-2015, 04:18 PM

It really is a great forum. I love this place!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode