Pet Dog Carpet Odor - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Pet Dog Carpet Odor

Hello,
I am new to this forum and thank you in advance to all who may be able to help my family. My mom and dad are now both in nursing homes. They own a house (3-bedroom single story ranch) that we now have to sell. The house smells terribly (dog smell) from a big Labrador Retriever that was in the house for 8 years. I am sure the smell is in the carpets (wall to wall carpeting) as well as the furniture, curtains, etc. We have tried some sprays but to no avail. And now with the windows having to be closed for upcoming winter, the smell is even worse. Is there anything we can do to permanently remove all the smell short of having to rip up the carpet and padding and throw away the furniture? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 AM

You can try deodorising the carpets with baking soda, but if you haven't done anything to remove the smell for 8 years, I doubt it'll help. Sprinkle baking soda all over the carpets and leave it for a night, and vacuum in the morning. If the smell is still existing, I suggest that you hire a professional carpet cleaning company.

I love cleaning and gardening!
post #3 of Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM

If it has been like that for 8 years, you may just want to go ahead and call a professional for at least a consultation. See what they have to say, you never know, it may not be as bad as you initially think it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 AM

Since 8 years is a pretty long time, I doubt anything you do would be of any help. It would be good to consider hiring a professional cleaner.
post #5 of Old 11-05-2011, 02:54 PM

post #6 of Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 AM

What happened? Did you get rid of the odour and how?

I love cleaning and gardening!
post #7 of Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think their isn't much you can do since it was 8 years. And if you're not willing to re-do the carpets and chunk the furniture.
post #8 of Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Good luck and please keep us posted. That would be horrible to waste that much money. Furniture alone can be pretty expensive to replace depending on what pieces need to be replaced. But hey if you do have to go that route, just have a bon fire and at least get a good get together with your friends out of the ordeal. Glass half full kind of person
post #9 of Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 AM

Dealing with pet odor in your home can be quite troublesome. And, steam extraction with a pet-odor enzyme is the only sure-fire way to get rid of pet dog odor from the carpet.
post #10 of Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Since the carpet odor is there since the last 8 years I don't think that any home remedy would be of any help. You have to call a professional carpet cleaning service to remove the smell.
post #11 of Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks for sharing these information.
post #12 of Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM
WWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarpetcare View Post
Dealing with pet odor in your home can be quite troublesome. And, steam extraction with a pet-odor enzyme is the only sure-fire way to get rid of pet dog odor from the carpet.
agree
post #13 of Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

If you don't have any commercial deodorizer close to you, then you can use the baking soda method or replace the last one with cornstarch. These two natural deodorizers can give you the desired results and make the disturbing pet odour disappear. However, if non of that works, you should call a professional to clean the carpet.
post #14 of Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Here are some suggestions:

1. You have to give the soiled area a good cleaning.
2. Sometimes with pet urination, wicking can occur.
3. Avoid using a steamer to clean pet stains or a hairdryer to dry them.
4. Once a week or so, sprinkle a deodorizing powder on your carpet.
5. Letting a pot of vinegar simmer on your stove will also keep your house smelling fresh.
post #15 of Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Thanks for providing information
post #16 of Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM

there's a good guide on this here: remove-odour.com/how-to-remove-pet-odours/
post #17 of Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Look up ozone generators.
post #18 of Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Hello. you might wana try these tips. Effective Carpet Cleaning Solutions.
Cost-Effective AlternativesCost-Effective Alternatives

Cost-Effective Alternatives
Cost-Effective Alternatives
post #19 of Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Large dogs with oily coats like the Labradors,who are not bathed regularly,usually leave behind a typical dog order.Replacing the carpet padding might be helpful.Carpet cleaning alone will not get odor out of the padding.People who do not have a dog are usually very sensitive to the smell.You could also buy special formulated neutralizing cleaners from a pet store. They work well for smell and stains both on the carpets as well as the floor.But a moisture extractor would be needed to remove the liquid from the carpet after the job is done.
post #20 of Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtk View Post
You can try deodorising the carpets with baking soda, but if you haven't done anything to remove the smell for 8 years, I doubt it'll help. Sprinkle baking soda all over the carpets and leave it for a night, and vacuum in the morning. If the smell is still existing, I suggest that you hire a professional carpet cleaning company.
Yes i am agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode