Pricing - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-26-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Pricing

I am just starting my own cleaning service and I would like to target move in for new homes owners , daycare Air bnb and possibly daycares. How do you base your price is it by per sq ft. Time to clean, hourly etc ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 PM

How I charge for houses that I have on a regular schedule is I charge by the hour for the 1st two cleanings. Whatever the 2nd cleaning comes out to be is the set price for the future cleanings. (I don't charge a continuous amount from the 1st cleaning as that takes the longest.) That way, they know how much money to leave each time. I no longer give them a total amount when giving an estimate as I have run over~time WAY too many times! You never know what you're in for until you're actually in it.

For 1 time cleanings, I charge by the hour.
post #3 of Old 03-27-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok so you don’t generate a price list based on rooms, sq ft etc? I came across this on social media and was wondering if this would be a good guide to base my prices off of ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC8949F5-254E-48E7-ABC9-527481583B1A_1553722577510.jpg (75.7 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM

No.....I've been doing this for 25 years and it's worked out very well so far.
My dilemma with doing it that way now is, how do I raise the set price of people I've had for many years?
That's where charging by the hour would work out so well.
That way, you can just raise your per hour rate when needed.
(I have raised the prices that I charge for the 1st 2 cleanings 2 times but that only applies to my new customers as I have never asked for a raise yet, for the people that have set prices.)

Setting a price on the 2nd cleaning works for both sides.
#1~You're going to get faster and that set price, by the 3rd cleaning and on, will be better on your end to where you will be earning more than a per hour rate.
#2~On the customer's end, if they have a tough stove to clean or it's X-Mas and you spend an enormous amount of time cleaning up needles, , they make out as do they when the price is raised for new clients and it doesn't affect them.

I chose the set price option so when I go to work, they know how much to pay and I'm paid the day of the service.
No working in arrears.
To me, working by footage could be a challenge as 1 account may have nothing in it and the other could have 100 knick-knacks that have to be dusted/cleaned which is very time-consuming.

I know pricing is different in every state, county, town but the area(s) I work in, I started at $20.00 an hour 25 years ago and just raised it to $35.00 the beginning of this year.
My jobs come out SOMEwhat close to your chart.
However, I don't make beds, pick up toys (that's done prior to me coming) or go IN things like microwaves, stoves, refrigerators, cabinets or hutches.
Also, my initial cleanings are more than that chart and all cleanings are considered "deep" as we clean everything, every time.

That's the way I do it anyway.....I'm sure there are others that would do it completely different.
I think there are pros and cons to both ways.
Good luck with your endeavors.

Last edited by gayelynn; 03-28-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: TYPOS of course!
post #5 of Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 PM

$35 for house cleaning sounds low. Do you have employees?

You need to review your rates ever year and raise them accordingly. 3% is a typical increase.
post #6 of Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Do you have a cleaning licence?
post #7 of Old 06-17-2019, 05:45 PM

No. (?)

Update~I had no problem with everyone agreeing to the new price. Ironically, my sister in law asked me what I was charging as her niece is charging $35.00 an hour in a town just south of me so I chose the correct price. (Towns north of me frequently pay less.) I just sent a letter explaining that we haven't raised our price in so many years and have no choice but to raise them now. I asked that of my older accounts and the new ones not yet priced. (I have 4 accounts that I just started at the end of last year at the old price and didn't ask them for a raise because I felt that would not have been fair to them.)

Also Mike, I do have ONE employee, (my sister which works some times and not so much other times, lol) So although we charge $35.00 an hour, it's $35.00 per hour/per person.

Last edited by gayelynn; 06-17-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #8 of Old 06-23-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayelynn View Post
No. (?)

Update~I had no problem with everyone agreeing to the new price. Ironically, my sister in law asked me what I was charging as her niece is charging $35.00 an hour in a town just south of me so I chose the correct price. (Towns north of me frequently pay less.) I just sent a letter explaining that we haven't raised our price in so many years and have no choice but to raise them now. I asked that of my older accounts and the new ones not yet priced. (I have 4 accounts that I just started at the end of last year at the old price and didn't ask them for a raise because I felt that would not have been fair to them.)

Also Mike, I do have ONE employee, (my sister which works some times and not so much other times, lol) So although we charge $35.00 an hour, it's $35.00 per hour/per person.

Well you're right each area has different pricing structures. I don't do homes (commercial) though in talking with some home cleaners in my area the starting rate seems to be $45/hour.

Ah your sister gets to pick when she wants to work
post #9 of Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Nah...she basically works to HER standards which don't come close to mine. 😞 I guess if the clients aren't complaining, she's doing "good enough." (?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode