Question for the experts... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Question for the experts...

Hello,
I have some simple questions and this site looks like im in the right spot for some answers. Long story short im trying to diagnose the stains shown below. I honestly dont know where they came from. I only drink water, NO coffee, Soda. It cant be from drips or spills because of the location of the spots, Ex. the areas i take my drinks too do not show any stains. They do seem to show up in higher traffic area's but not near the front or patio door which leads me to rule out dirt from outside. They are a charcoal color and wash out with a carpet cleaner but appear back within a couple months. The spots are very sporadic and look as if somebody took a hand of dirt and kinda flicked there fingers towards the carpet from about 7 feet in the air, Very simular to how you might flick your fingers after washing your hands, or to sprinkle water into somebody's face as a joke.

So please any information would be a great help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-26-2010, 05:37 AM

Looks like some kind of fungi to me. Good luck.

Best Regards
who offers the best carpet cleaning, professional cleaning services? Help me find carpet cleaning London.
Glad are carpet cleaning London reliable and eager to improve my carpet cleaning skills.
post #3 of Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thats what im thinking, however i dont recall any large spills, roof leaks or how the carpet would stay moist enough to grow fungi. I like in a humid climate (north Carolina) but AC stays on so that should pull the humidity out of the air atleast enough to prevent fungi right? I have read on one site that faulty carpet installation can cause fungi but once again does that require the carpet to be moist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandleworld View Post
Thats what im thinking, however i dont recall any large spills, roof leaks or how the carpet would stay moist enough to grow fungi. I like in a humid climate (north Carolina) but AC stays on so that should pull the humidity out of the air atleast enough to prevent fungi right? I have read on one site that faulty carpet installation can cause fungi but once again does that require the carpet to be moist?
Carpets can absorb all kinds of moisture. You are never sure if it has dried enough after cleaning. May be there is some moisture underneath it.

Best Regards
who offers the best carpet cleaning, professional cleaning services? Help me find carpet cleaning London.
Glad are carpet cleaning London reliable and eager to improve my carpet cleaning skills.
post #5 of Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Definitely under the carpets is a World of low creatures and bacterias. Also they can absorb water and can moisturize.
post #6 of Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Dan

I no clue what it might be, However be real careful with anything that turns black. Because if it is a fungus black is the bad one...
post #7 of Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Difficult to say for sure from just a photo, but based on its appearance and your description of it, I'd have to agree that it appears to be some sort of fungus resulting related to moisture intrusion. I'd recommend getting someone in there with the right moisture detection equipment to determine the extent and source of the moisture intrusion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode