Residential Vs Commercial compare and contrast - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Residential Vs Commercial compare and contrast

Just thought I would start a topic about this.....
What are some of the differences between the two?
I realize they each have their own demons involved and are somewhat like comparing apples and oranges......

I just thought the larger community may be better to address this question than me alone via pms (not PMS but private messages, heehee)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 AM

Great question. We prefer residential they pay on time more than not.
post #3 of Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Residential... Higher margins.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

We do primarily resi so don't have a huge bank of knowledge to draw from. But.....

Resi is more detail oriented IMO. And I'm not sure if it is always the case but I think there is much more demand for flawless customer service skills needed to handle/retain accounts.

Commercial Post construction you have to breath a lot more toxins.... out gassing from new materials, drywall dust in the air etc...
This bothers me greatly, even thinking of my staff breathing the toxins is ucky. I did however find the money to be incredible compared to the hours we put in.

Regular Commercial I thought was pretty easy (I just handled an office space) but I don't think I really got my money's worth. I was too detail oriented for the account and spent too much time trying too hard (there was a fabrication shop attached to the office so it was constantly grungy) I do however think regular commercial accounts would be tolerable.

I do have a model home that I clean so I don't know if that falls under commercial since it is really an office and a commercial company I work for or if it is a Resi since it is a home. That job is crazy easy to clean and I charge my regular minimum! This week I was out in an hour and half so I made a killing on my hourly rate!
post #5 of Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Residential vs Commercial

Hi Melikahiwa -

Thanks for the pm.

I started a similar topic about a month ago but didn't get a lot of info (T gave me info on renting equipment for high windows).

I post construction in residential. One of my builders gave my name to another company that does both commercial and residential. I cleaned an addition to a retirement home - in man hours vs cost my average was higher than with new construction residential homes.

My concern with commercial is windows and floors. Are windows several stories high included? Do you polish, buff floors with floor machines? I want to begin contacting commercial builders, but I can not seem to find any info on those two concerns.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me.

Deborah
post #6 of Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 AM

Residential are easier to quote and in most cases you get the payment on time.
post #7 of Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 PM

I agree with all the above. If you set the rule of... no payment, no clean... you get payment 100% of the time before you clean.
post #8 of Old 12-25-2014, 04:20 PM

I usually prefer residential
post #9 of Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM
f&s

Residential has higher margins and they are more prompt on payment. Commercial lets you do it after hours - what we prefer.
post #10 of Old 01-14-2015, 05:15 PM

Well, if you're more of an 9-5 kind of person, residential cleaning is for you. If you're more of a night owl, then commercial cleaning might be the way to go since you can't go into some offices to clean until their closed.

Also, they say that you should charge more for commercial jobs. How much more? I don't know. I have cleaned walls in a small beauty shop before, but charged them the same I would for a residential job.

My blog: http://www.cleanwithasmile.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode