Scrubbing Floor with Stripping Pad? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By djdmaze

post #1 of Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Scrubbing Floor with Stripping Pad?

Does anyone prefer using a solution tank on a buffer over the traditional mop method? Last night I scrubbed a daycare vct with degreaser and a black stripping pad.

Can you use a black stripping pad to scrub vct? I’ve done it before using the traditional mop method (bucket of clean solution, apply w/ mop, then buff) and that classroom floor turned out great!

However last night I had a disaster. After buffing the front lobby (least amount of foot traffic) once I made it to the play area, I started getting black streaks while buffing and this black almost paint-like substance began to be left behind instead of the soapy/dirty suds one would pick up with wet/dry vac.

I had to do a bunch of extra mopping and with pressure to wipe up the black stains. I simply forgot about flipping my pad so I have no idea if that black “guck” soley came from buildup and me not switching pads? I only did about 500-600 sq ft before the guck appeared.

Could my solution tank dispensing solution through the top of the pad to reach the floor cause the pad to die out into floor and solution causing the “black guck”?

Or could it simply be me using the wrong pad in the wrong situation? Maybe stripping pads should not be used with solution tank?

Im thinking of just returning to traditional mop method because I like to let my degreaser sit for 5 min before scrubbing. Even though it sucks bringing an extra bucket along, I think this solution tank has been causing problems for me.
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM

All of our low speed buffing/stripping/scrubbing machines have solution tanks added. There is no issue with water being applied from the tank to the black pad. I have no idea of why marks were left behind. We never use a black pad on a floor with existing wax or it will remove it. If the floor has absolutely no wax then it might work but a less aggressive pad should do just fine. A red one should do.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #3 of Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 AM

I wonder what caused the stains? That's really weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jahra, I think I should have brought an extra pad, or flipped the black pad to the clean side. Im guessing the pad was good enough for one room until needing to be flipped or replaced. I wanted to remove the old wax, however maybe the black pad was too aggressive
post #5 of Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 PM

Hire professional cleaners for this work. A professional cleaner can spot problems before they become severe, minimizing repair and replacement costs. We follow the SHEA principle when it comes to floor cleaning, which emphases on security, health, environment, and appearance. Keep sharing.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California

Last edited by momentum; 12-13-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: not proper answer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode