Shower glass door help!! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-28-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Shower glass door help!!

I've been cleaning homes professionally for 3 years now. And suddenly I am having trouble getting certain glass doors clean!!! Never had a problem before but for some reason these just will NOT stay clean!!

Water spots are all over these doors!! I have soaked the doors in vinegar and lemon oil then scrubbed off. Didn't work! I have used a silver scrubby ( not sure what these are called, just the ones you can buy at walmart) on the doors when dry the rinsed off, (works but not completely)
I have always done the things mentioned above and water spots disappeared; until now.

I have also tried BarKeepers friend, and no luck.

If anyone knows other things to try, please feel me in.

Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Something different in the water then there use to be?
post #3 of Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Leadarrow,

I am not sure. This is the first time I have cleaned these particular shower doors. The bathrooms had not been deep cleaned since owners moved in. Probably at least ten years. The shower doors are squeegeed after every shower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Bring water form a different source like bottled water or something just to eliminate that possibility. When I can't figure something out I work to eliminate every possibility in my search for a solution. With out more information it is all the help I can think to offer.
post #5 of Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Maybe try a new cleaner. Im actually currently adding glass cleaner, and supplies to our website if you want to take a look. Should have more supplies up there this week. Right now we have a product called windashine on there that does a good job.
post #6 of Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Cool Shower Glass Door Situation

Hi, my suggestion for the tough stains on shower glass doors is to some CLR and a fine grade of steel wool. Just be careful to wash away all the little steel wool bits because they will leave little rust marks. If this does not work I would then try using some brasso. If any hazing remains on the glass after you remove the brasso u can polish the glass with some dry steel wool. Again use a fine grade ie 0000 and be sure to clean up the little bits. If that doesn't work I think the only option is to get a buffer like the ones they use to polish cars. Hope this helps.

btw if watermarks have a white outline they are likely a build up of calcium that is found in hard water.

Last edited by cmcman01; 05-01-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: adding thought
post #7 of Old 05-05-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcman01 View Post
Hi, my suggestion for the tough stains on shower glass doors is to some CLR and a fine grade of steel wool. Just be careful to wash away all the little steel wool bits because they will leave little rust marks. If this does not work I would then try using some brasso. If any hazing remains on the glass after you remove the brasso u can polish the glass with some dry steel wool. Again use a fine grade ie 0000 and be sure to clean up the little bits. If that doesn't work I think the only option is to get a buffer like the ones they use to polish cars. Hope this helps.

btw if watermarks have a white outline they are likely a build up of calcium that is found in hard water.

Thank you, I had purchased the fine grade of steel wool before I posted this but I was scared to try it on a customers doors. I had already tried one scrub bud on dry glass and it didn't work. Now, I know I can trust my intuition and try it. Thank you
Update: I went back a second time on these doors. Used the scrub bud dry again and let it soak in vinegar and lemon oil longer than the first time. Came right off and still looks great two days later!!

Thank you to everyone for your input!
post #8 of Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM

I have had a similar problem and am glad to see this solution worked. I am going to put it to the test and let you know my results. thanks.

Jim
post #9 of Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 AM

Hi There,

Just wondering if you had any results to share with the forum on this particular issue? I'm also quite interested as I have one particular customer whose shower screen simply cannot be cleaned to perfection.

Cheers
post #10 of Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 AM

I too have not found anything in particular and I was thinking you should share your solution, if you found one as I am sure that every person can find a solution in need.

Organic Milk in Bangalore Organic milk in Bangalore, milk Property Tax Monitoring & Reporting Service | Accumatch is providing Property Tax Tracking and report service for property. Web Design Hyderabad, Web designing Companies in Hyderabad for any kind of web design. Website design company in Hyderabad for website design service in Hyderabad.
post #11 of Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Bonami is amazing. You may want to check out the website. I used it before i think i did it on shower doors and the soapscum just melted off
post #12 of Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM

raelyn

The hardest windows I have ever cleaned were in Los Molinos, CA. right on the Sacramento River during the hottest time of the year. 109 F. I was called to clean 35 windows, half of which were facing west. The stucco guys over sprayed about 90% of every single window with stucco and it cooked while the house was under construction for 8 months.

Nothing and I mean nothing would take it off. My final idea was to buy a drill (with a cord) and a couple of buffing pads and used several cups of home made window cleaning paste (4 parts baking soda to 1 part vinegar) and I buffed all 35 windows then wiped away excess powder. The east widows didn't take too long, but the west windows took me 2 days. By the time I was finished with the windows they looked brand new and I earned an extra $1,000 that was back charged to the stucco contractor.

I have since used this technique on all hard water issues on glass, including shower doors. I highly recommend anyone try this method for cleaning hard water stains that will not come off otherwise. I kid you not.

This also works on aluminum shower door frames that have oxidized. After doing this on shower door frames you will need to either use a small amount of stainless steel cleaner or baby oil to shine it up and then wipe away the excess. This works. I recommend when using this method for residential housekeeping jobs that the client not be there.

Good luck
post #13 of Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Maybe steam!

Hi there,

I have had some luck using a steamer ... the problem being that you need the equipment in the first instance. I usually steam the shower door and then wipe it dry with a towel to prevent streaks.
Maybe it's just the type of glass it is (that's not much help granted!)
post #14 of Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Shower doors

Try some MB12by MB stone
post #15 of Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM

actually sorbo a product we have works amazingly! Here it is, only hear good things about this product. http://www.westernjanitorsupply.com/...22&category=20
post #16 of Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 PM

What CMCMan said works because they are not stains at all. The glass is actually etched out which means it basically has pot holes in it. The only way to make it 'even' again is to do what CMSMan said to do. The reason stuff like baby oil or pledge or what ever works is because it fills the 'hole'. And then it is quickly washed away and the problem is visible again.

It could be sand blasted and that would work or it could be sanded with many things... but it still gives the same end result.
post #17 of Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM

most clouding on shower glass is due to build up of minerals from the water drying. Calcium carbonate is the typical one that leaves white chalky stains. No pits or holes. Etching glass would typically take a strong acid not mineral water, IMO.

Jim
www.pacificsteamco.com
post #18 of Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 PM

And IF it is the white chalky 'stains' it comes off with 1 single swipe of a wet Magic Eraser. Before using the Magic Eraser one must be smarter than the Magic Eraser. Just sayin...
post #19 of Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 AM

pacificsteam and sprintcar93

I agree with pacificsteam. Hard water build up is just that "build up"

sprintcar93 hard water stains is not etching and baby oil is only to be used on the metal frame, not the glass.

Buffing with paste and a drill with a buffing pad works in very bad cases when razor blazing doesn't take it all off and leaves ribbons.
post #20 of Old 08-18-2014, 12:56 PM

The buffing works because it has etched in the glass. Everyone on Earth can call it what they want... soap scum/hard water/blah/blah... but the bottom line is..... unless it is etched in to the glass the Magic Eraser will get it off (atleast for me) if the person using the Magic Eraser is smarter than the Magic Eraser.

I am not saying anyone on here is not smarter than a Magic Eraser but to prove you are.... get a Magic Eraser and give it a try. If it comes off for you.... you are smarter than a Magic Eraser.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode