Solo vs a Team/Company - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-25-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Solo vs a Team/Company

Hi, I'm new (here and to cleaning)and was wondering how many solo cleaners(independent) are here , and how many work with a company, small or large?

I'm at a point in life where I want the be my own boss. I work for a small company and she pays by the job, not by the hour. Typically there's 2-3 of us and we're done in 2 hrs. I get paid generally $40-$45 which is at least $20/hr. Her basic cleans are what others would consider a deep clean(blinds,windowsills, baseboards) so we work for our money. I had my first client a few days ago, and bc I was taught by the best in my first month, I cleaned like I had OCD and my client was RAVING about how good her house looked. The house was 1,700 SQFT and I finished in 2hrs10min. I was paid $60, even after telling her I only charge $20/hr.

I absolutely LOVED working by myself. I loved not having anyone check over my work, or tell me I need to redo something (company I work for is overly picky, as in seeing stuff that isn't there) or ask me if I did this or that. However I was sore by the time I left her house since I worked twice as much and twice as hard. Eventually I would like to get my own clientele but stay at part time status. Anyone here want to share your pro's and cons with working alone vs with others? Any tips or warnings you want to share? How long did it take you to build your own customer base? I honestly couldn't do this work for $10-15/hr. The bar has been set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-03-2016, 07:00 AM

Re: Solo vs a Team/Company

When it comes to maintaining order in your home at all times, it is often necessary to hire professional house cleaners, especially if you have a busy schedule that prevents you from having the time to clean your home yourself. Nevertheless, working a SOLO won't benefit your competency over the others, a France Menage TEAM will always get its way on top when you hire competent and reliable ones on the job.
post #3 of Old 11-04-2016, 02:46 AM

You're doing it right by over-delivering. Soon, word will spread about the quality of cleaning service that you provide.

Some business start with one person, or one family. Ours is a family business, but we have grown big enough to need to hire employees.

Working by and for yourself can feel liberating. But eventually, and especially if you have visions of turning this small part-time job into a business, like we did, you will need to work with a team. The only difference, this time is you'll be the boss.

So that's like having the best of both worlds.

Silver Rug Cleaning
San Jose, CA
We Clean Rugs the Right Way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-04-2016, 03:08 PM

One of the cons of working for yourself is having to drum up business. When you work for somebody else, the "hustle" is the boss's problem. You just go from job to job. Once you become the boss, you have to line up the jobs and find the customers. As was already mentioned, if you focus on over-delivering in the beginning, the customers will sing your praises and word of mouth will get around.
post #5 of Old 11-11-2016, 02:19 AM

There's definite pros and cons to each. If you are willing to hustle to bring in new business then working for yourself is awesome.

Awesome house cleaning!!!
post #6 of Old 01-04-2017, 07:06 PM

Re: Solo vs a Team/Company

It really depends on how you manage it i.e working alone or work with some dedicated people on the job.
post #7 of Old 08-31-2017, 04:58 AM

Tom's Cleaning offers professional Blind Cleaning Australia. Our Blind Cleaning services are the fastest, most efficient, most effective & Eco friendly way to clean all types of blinds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode