Spider Webs - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By apistan

post #1 of Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Spider Webs

Tried this question in the Wood Cleaning & Restoration Forum and got no replies . . . so I'll now throw it open to a General Discussion . . .

What do you use to clean out spider webs in eaves prior to painting. Up here in the mountains, we have lots of daddy-long-leg spiders and they just pack the eaves between the overhanging rafters full of their webs. Can't pressure-wash up there too much because of open venting into the attic. They are really sticky! Hitting them with a broom just seems to roll them up into thick strings which adhere to the T1-11 siding real well. What to do? Anything that will dissolve them?
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 PM

I've used some bleach to help break up the spider webs.

Shane Brasseaux
Wood Savers of Texas
"We Beat the Weathering Problem"
post #3 of Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 PM

You've 'used some bleach' for everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
You've 'used some bleach' for everything.

Ive even been called a Son of a Bleach once or twice.

Shane Brasseaux
Wood Savers of Texas
"We Beat the Weathering Problem"
post #5 of Old 09-24-2006, 01:15 AM

Arrow Prevention is also helpful ...

Liquid dishwasher detergent should help you out. The spiders hate it too!

If you put it in one of those containers used for feeding the garden and attach it to a hose, you can spray your whole house 3 or 4 times a year, and they'll stay away. Oh, and it sheets off the glass; so, if your windows are already clean, you don't have to worry about streaks.
post #6 of Old 09-24-2006, 01:15 PM

Spider silk is stronger than steel, incredibly light, and almost impossible to dissolve.

I would recommend using a telescoping webster and instead of brushing the webs, you will need to twirl the webs onto the webster so that they will not adhear to the walls and eves

post #7 of Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM

post #8 of Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 AM

bleach of course...

when I used to work on gas stations way back when we used dishsoap downstreamed on to the canopy. The bugs fell off almost on their own.

Peerless Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida
(813)230-5915
Professional Shingle and Tile Tampa Roof Cleaning Blog
post #9 of Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I would recommend using a telescoping webster and instead of brushing the webs, you will need to twirl the webs onto the webster so that they will not adhere to the walls and eves
The webster duster work great for this. Getting them while they are dry is MUCH easier than trying to remove them while they are wet IMO.

Ettore Webster Duster

Poulsbo Window Cleaning
post #10 of Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Thank you for posting this information!)
post #11 of Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Bleach or Vinegar has worked for me in the past.
post #12 of Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 AM

This could be your solution?

You could try a Cobweb Winder. I have one laying around for when I find another web. It winds the web into a ball then you just push the web off the end of the wand. Here's where i bought it from: https :// cobwebwinder .com
post #13 of Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 PM

In order to answer your question, I would say you should maintain your regular cleaning, because when you dust or vacuum frequently, you get rid of spiders. For this work you can use a brush to sweep webs away once in a week, If you don't do frequent cleanings they can stick to anything including cement, stucco walls, aluminium roof gutters, and wood or plastic soffits. Peppermint oil is a great way to remove spider webs. But still you get itís probably time to contact a pest control professional.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California
post #14 of Old 10-25-2017, 11:56 PM

Thank you for posting this information!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Get Healthy Environment with Organic Carpet Cleaning.jpg (100.8 KB, 7 views)

Professional carpet cleaning NYC services with special offers and discount.
http://topcarpetcarenyc.com/
post #15 of Old 10-28-2017, 04:40 PM

Last Fall. I cleaned a beach home that had been empty for 6 months (snowbird owners). They asked me to get it clean for their arrival back in Florida. "No big deal", I thought. Was I wrong! The entire house was FULL of spiders - mainly daddy longlegs but many other types, too. UGH! I dislike most insects and really dislike spiders and ants. I used a funky old broom I found to smash them up, and then vacuumed up the reminas. The problem was that every time I got one room done - more of the stupid things showed up! Everywhere!!! That night I hate spider nightmares, let me tell you. To make the picture even more clear: I opened one of the five fairly large closets. There must have been 50-75 spiders just in THAT small space!

Then there was the condo I cleaned that had so many ants running around I nearly went nuts. The occupant kept a very messy kitchen (actually, it was gross!) and ants were certainly attracted to it all. Her bathroom was chock full of ants AND spiders! Holy Cow!
post #16 of Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 AM

Remove webs using a vacuum. The best means to remove spider webs is by simply using a vacuum. A handheld vacuum would be easiest to maneuver.However, if you don't have a handheld vacuum you can also use a vacuum with an extension nozzle.

Carpet Cleaning NYC provide emergency 24/7 cleaning services at affordable prices.
http://www.organicrugcleaners-nyc.com/
post #17 of Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Yup. That is one reason I love my Shark wand vacuums. LONG handles which detach so you can vacuum high, odd places much easier. I am just kinda squeemish about spiders and all sorts of insects. ICKY!

A decent broom is also a huge help with this. One light enough, with a long enough handle. To rid the walls of webs, use those dry floor dusting pads by Swiffer or the other copycat ones. I no longer buy Swiffer products (except their basic mop). WAY over priced. Walmarts copy cats are decent and so are Publix Grocery Store's. Dusting pads and dry dusting pads. I would NEVER, EVER use one of those disgusting wet mop pads! Oh how gross they are, they smell bad and leave a sticky film on most floors. I would even guess they could damage certain more delicate floors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode