Spiders, and spider webs! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-11-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Spiders, and spider webs!

I clean basements in apartment complexes. There are over 40-50 rooms total I have to maintain and each room is loaded with spider webs which I have to get rid of. I swipe em down and they always return. Is there anything I can do to stop the spiders from returning? Something I can put in each room, maybe a scent of some sort that they do not like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Try vacuuming them. Spiders are good at evasive action.
Find out where they are coming from and stop them there.
What is the condition of the web? If there are a lot of bugs in them then get rid of the food source.
Eucalyptus oil is something they don't like. Try a few drops mixed with water in a spray bottle. I use peppermint for ants.
post #3 of Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Vacuuming them is impossible. There are far too many. Each room (40-50), contains at least anywhere from 30-80 webs. They are everywhere. I swipe them all down and than they return a week later. It's a never ending, stressful process. I will try the Eucalyptus oil though. I could try spraying that all over the ceiling and windows in one room and see if they return. I also heard they don't like lemon scent, I don't know. I just want to able to swipe the room clean of webs and not have to worry about them returning. It's also a pain because I have to keep the basement floors clean but everytime I swipe down webs, stuff falls everywhere. So I have to go and vacuum the entire basement floor.

Last edited by Zoolander; 09-12-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Industrial Strenght Vinegar. They wont come near it. Put in a pump up sprayer and spray where the webs are they wont come back. Repeat evey 3-6 months

Houston Texas most trusted source for pressure washing and roof cleaning services. Call or text 2818838470

Houston Texas Soft Wash Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing School
post #5 of Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandgreen View Post
Industrial Strenght Vinegar. They wont come near it. Put in a pump up sprayer and spray where the webs are they wont come back. Repeat evey 3-6 months
Where do you find that? I can't find it anywhere online. If I cant find it online I doubt I'll find it in a store.
post #6 of Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Check with Garden stores, places that sell plants, fertilizers, etc. Not the Home Depots or Lowes but the mom and pop landscape/plant nursery/ type store. you may also find it under acetic acid as that what vinegar basically is. It also used as a great weed killer. As a test you can also try regualr store bought vinegar. You may just have to repeat treatments a little more often. Once you start treating you will see the frequency of treatments needed decline as the spiders stay away. They really can't stand the smell of it and once they leave they generally dont come back.

Goodle "industrial strength vinegar". Tons of info on it and uses.

Houston Texas most trusted source for pressure washing and roof cleaning services. Call or text 2818838470

post #7 of Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. Now my question is would be it be okay spraying this all over the ceilings of the basements. Would it cause damage or harm anyone in terms of someone inhaling it while walking through their basement?
post #8 of Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
Okay, thanks. Now my question is would be it be okay spraying this all over the ceilings of the basements. Would it cause damage or harm anyone in terms of someone inhaling it while walking through their basement?
Always read lable and follow directions. Me personally I dont allow anyone around while I am spraying. The smell to humans will disipate over time and usally pretty quickly, but the spiders will smell it for a longer time, 3-6 months. I dont know that it would harm anyone repsratory wise as I am not a doctor but Vinegar in itself smells terrible to me.

post #9 of Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the information cleanandgreen. My husband cleans a dentist office that always has spiderwebs around the bottom to the chairs. I am going to have him give it a try.
post #10 of Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidyBiz View Post
Thanks for the information cleanandgreen. My husband cleans a dentist office that always has spiderwebs around the bottom to the chairs. I am going to have him give it a try.
Just lightly mist them then, since they are chairs and indoors. Maybe do on Friday so you have the whole week end for the vinegar smell to dissiapte.

Last edited by cleanandgreen; 09-17-2011 at 06:38 AM.
post #11 of Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 PM

industrial strength vinegar? i enjoyed this information from this post. thank you! i'll be trying this at home
post #12 of Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandgreen View Post
Just lightly mist them then, since they are chairs and indoors. Maybe do on Friday so you have the whole week end for the vinegar smell to dissiapte.
Will do. thanks again
post #13 of Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
Try vacuuming them. Spiders are good at evasive action.
Find out where they are coming from and stop them there.
What is the condition of the web? If there are a lot of bugs in them then get rid of the food source.
Eucalyptus oil is something they don't like. Try a few drops mixed with water in a spray bottle. I use peppermint for ants.
Peppermint is great for many insects and some rodents as well. You can pick up a bottle from your local health store for fairly cheap.
post #14 of Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 AM

post #15 of Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 PM

For the spider webs, use a wet microfiber duster to remove all hanging ends to stop them returning quickly.
post #16 of Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snellexperts View Post
Peppermint is great for many insects and some rodents as well. You can pick up a bottle from your local health store for fairly cheap.
I have heard of this aswell, how effective is peppermint?

ECO Energy provide office cleaning Manchester
post #17 of Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM

good information, thanks for sharing Will be using the vinegar solution when time come..Oops, but dont like spideyyyys.

auckland carpet steamndry
12 Culperry Road Glendene Auckland New Zealand
09 836-5498
carpet cleaning, Repairs and Laying, upholstery cleaning Auckland, Flood restoration, pest control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode