Stubborn Stench - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Stubborn Stench

I have a problem that I need help with. Here's the story:

About 5 weeks ago, I started noticing an odor in the garage. Smelled like a dead "critter." I had remembered finding a dead mouse on the floor a few days earlier and just figured it may have been residue from him. No problem, it'll go away. Next day, smell is worse. To this I attribute to another mouse that had decided to die. I looked in all of the easilly accessible places, no mouse. I figure it's under one of the MANY boxes that have yet to be gone through since we moved in over a year ago. My thought, "no problem. Mouse is small. Odor will only stay another day or so." 2 days later, MUCH worse! Wife says: "find the damn mouse!" I look where I can, but no mouse. Tell her I'll move all boxes next day. While sleeping, all we can smell is dead critter. Seems like it's in the HVAC. I look in the furnace (where I found a squirrel before), no critter. Must be INSIDE one of the tubes. crap!. Call HVAC duct cleaning. Technician opens system and smells, no odor inside. Call wife. "Clean it anyways!" 1 hour and $350 later, ducts are clean, house smells like hospital! 4 hours later, home from work, . While in the garage, I notice the deep freezer. I also notice the green power indicator is OFF! Then I remember tripping a circuit break about 2 weeks before that. I had reset the breaker, but didn't notice/realize the deep freeze was hooked into a GFCI outlet that ALSO had to be reset! Open the lid............ OH MY GOD !!!!!!! The only thing that I could think of was an episode of Mythbusters when they put dead pigs into a Corvette! What was once a 20 pound turkey, was now an indescribeable mass of "stuff" I was able to contain my dinner enough to clear out everything that had been frozen at one time, and use a roll of paper towels to gather up the liquid. It has been about 3 weeks since the "great discovery" and the stench still remains inside the freezer. I have tried numerous things to get rid of it. I have soaked it in Purple Power for a couple of days. Still stinks. I have soaked it in bleach for a couple of days. Still stinks. I soaked it again with Purple Power. Still stinks. I scrubbed the walls with Comet. Still stinks. My neighbor hit it with a soap-solution and then his steam cleaner. Still stinks! Is there ANY way of getting rid of the stench????? Possibly my next step will be to just buy a new freezer!!!

HELP!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-26-2009, 07:25 AM

Before you rush out and buy a new freezer try making a cold-water paste of sodium bicarbonate and coat the inside surfaces with this. Then tip in an appreciable quantity of dry sodium bicarbonate into the base and close the freezer.

Over the next few days the odour should be absorbed into the powder, which can be vacuumed out when spent. This process may need to be repeated.

If this fails the ozone would be the next option.
post #3 of Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM

use an odour neutraliser to remove the smell, ONA is the best i know, you can find them here: remove-odour.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode