Suggestions needed on major mold clean up!! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Question Suggestions needed on major mold clean up!!

I need help!! I have an apartment that I have been asked to clean and its covered in mold. Not black mold.. Just mold.And when I say covered I do mean covered!!! Now.. What I need to know is what would be the fastest most efficient way to clean it??? Any ideas would be appreciated!!!Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM

My first suggestion is to pass on this job and refer it to a restoration company this is properly trained to work under such circumstances. Mold is nothing to play with. Special personal protective gear is needed for your safety.

Cleaning is just a small part of a mold job. You also have to find the root of the problem and often that requires tearing down structures and rebuilding.

Too, if not cleaned properly you could be held liable for any future damages.
post #3 of Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
I agree with Theresa on this. This is not for a cleaning company to do...it's a serious issue with mold and I personally know of one person who died from it.

One year I moved into a house that the basement had previously flooded. About six months later, all the exposed beams in the basement were covered in mold. It took a restoration company to come in and clean it...then seal it all. It's not just a matter of cleaning it but finding the reason and making sure it doesn't happen again.

The restoration company came in full hazmat to clean it. They recommended we not be home while they did the cleaning either. It's not anything to play with!

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the concern.. The problem that they had was the hot water heater exploded and the water heater has been removed.. Condensation build up is what caused the mold. I have protective gear.. Just wondering if there was an easier way to get it off the walls other than bleach..
post #5 of Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 PM

research and find a EPA Registered Fungicide to your liking. They also work to clean mold.
post #6 of Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM

lajc,

I appreciate your desire to get this job done. I'm the same way. Please listen to what is being suggested. Let me ask you this though.
Are we talking about cement/concrete walls in a basement?
Is there any evidence of the mold migrating to ceiling joists or towards the living area?

I don't know if you realize this but mold remediation companies can charge thousands of dollars to rid a single room. Testing has to be done. certificates have to be validated, inspections made. If you go in as a cleaning company and do not properly remove it all (if its on drywall, forget it) you can be sued for a very large amount of money. I'm betting your insurance company would leave you hanging in the wind. is it worth it? If it is.. Bleach is going to be your best bet as an amateur.

I think you are begging for it.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #7 of Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
I'm betting your insurance company would leave you hanging in the wind. is it worth it?
Excellent point pressurepros.
post #8 of Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

In light of everybodys advice on here.. I have decided to turn down the job. As much as I hate to.. Never like to turn down work.. No matter how big or small.. But.. I belive all of you on here that responded to me have me convinced that is the smarter deceisson.. Thank you to all for saving me from the trouble it may have created in the future!!!
post #9 of Old 02-09-2008, 03:16 PM

One of the biggest lessons to learn in the cleaning industry is that your health is worth so much more that the fees paid for certain cleaning jobs. Money only impacts you short term while your health impacts you forever.
post #10 of Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM

post #11 of Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 AM

Friends look pressure has some very nice piece of information to share . I visited the URL and found that its really informational friends really Pressure has done a nice job.I appreciate your post and job done by you.
Go on friends and keep posting more such informative posts.
post #12 of Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajc View Post
I need help!! I have an apartment that I have been asked to clean and its covered in mold. Not black mold.. Just mold.And when I say covered I do mean covered!!! Now.. What I need to know is what would be the fastest most efficient way to clean it??? Any ideas would be appreciated!!!Thanks!!

if you are not hazardous certified you are not supposed to do the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode