Swine Flu -Whats the reaction been like? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Question Swine Flu -Whats the reaction been like?

With just about every news network around the globe giving 24/7 coverage th the Swine Flu outbreak H1N1 (I'm not sure if they call it Swine Flu outside the UK) I was wondering what the reaction has been like.

Here in Britain the public campaigns have been all about catching and killing germs before they spread, and I suppose the cleaning industry will have a huge role in this over the next few months.

So I was wondering if anyone has had any requests for products or asked to change the way they clean etc?

Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Personally I think it is a big uproar over nothing. Each year 36,000 Americans die from the flu and it doesn't make the news. now they have a sensationalized name, Swine Flu, and they run with it because they have nothing better. Now after running off at the mouth they find out that it is no worse than any other normal flu. Must have been a slow news day. Just goes to show you you can't believe everything you hear or read. Several other stories over the past couple of years have done the same thing. What happened to investigative reporting? It is all about headlines not the truth.
post #3 of Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 PM

LOL I find that I am a much happier person when I don't listen to the daily news But your right Nathan, as professional cleaners we have the capability of being the front line defenses in the battle against any type of bug (mammal, fowl or other)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Well normally I'm always Mr. Sceptic about any major outbreak SARS then Bird Flu etc etc..... But looking back there is usually a major flu outbreak every 20 years or so and it has been due for a while. Obviously stories of impending doom and humanity being on the brink of collapse within weeks is a load of old tut, but I do get the feeling that there is a grain of truth in this one.

Don't get me wrong I won't be whipping out the Haz Mat suit anytime soon, but I am taking more vitamin C tablets and I'm washing my hands loads now.
post #5 of Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 AM

Yes there seems to be a natural increase in the amount of interest in professional cleaners for rooms which are lived in often. Many more people have requested to have their carpet cleaned for example. (also from the UK)

-husty
http://www.chemdryclean.co.uk/ofliverpool
post #6 of Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Yes agree with one thing in Cleaning Industry surely gone a play big role.
post #7 of Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM

I have worked with the retail shopping center industry for over 25 years and I am still a consultant on property management of those centers. I am in disbelief that the business as a whole is not responding to the need to improve their cleaning regiment.
Whether this H1N1 threat is real or not, due to the press that it has and will receive IMHO the retailers should be putting a serious effort into not only having a real cleaning sanitizing/ cleaning program in place but advertising it as well.
If the media has done one thing they have demonstrated that they can shape public opinion. Last spring the hopala was so great that they scared the heck out of the buying public for a while. The CDC has spent 100's of thousands of dollars putting a great deal of literature together to substantiate how bad this could be. They however have put little emphasis on the virtu of proper home, work place and assembly areas cleanliness. The southern Hemisphere is now in their flu season, the numbers on business activity will be of more interest than the numbers of victims. Our economy doesn't need anymore reasons to falter or deteriorate worse.
Historically, prior pandemics have affected economies to the tune of 20-30%. I would think this would provide the business community the incentive to plan ahead and work at mitigating the impact. Real or perceived. Maybe I'm wrong, have any of you been provided cleaning spec.s to be used if this virus thing expands. I know the USPS has a special cleaning bulletin that will be used if and when the severity of the infections reach a certain level.
post #8 of Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 AM

Its our duty to control Swine Flu and taking actions so it can;t spread over. And as being professional cleaners we have to give our best to overcome such a deadly virus.
post #9 of Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Second Wave of Flu expected

In the UK although in the press alot I dont think many people have reacted to the threat of Swine Flu. Although a second phase is expected which is expected to be much worse. Also the press are sticking with the keep clean campaigns with the new buzz word being e-coli.

At SaniGuard we have produced a dry on contact spray that can be used on keyboards that can help keep the office clean. I think theirs definaetly a market for any cleaning companies to start cleaning keyboards and desks with sanitising spray rather than giving it a good polish.
post #10 of Old 11-21-2009, 05:46 PM

I don't know if I'd worry about individuals' desks so much -- as a former longtime office-worker, it's been my experience that the users are the main people who maintain their computers, keyboards and so forth. I worked with quite a few people who were religious about sanitizing their keyboards, mice and phones.

Seems to me (a brand-new cleaner with very little experience) that cleaners ought to be targeting public surfaces, furniture arms, door knobs and the like. That's real impractical with the time I have for the offices I clean, but if it would have a significant impact on the spread of germs, I'd make a point of doing it, at least during flu season.

Needless to say, neither of the companies I work for have told me to do anything like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode