Tell us about your craziest day at work - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Tell us about your craziest day at work

Sometimes live just does not goes as scripted.......

We have all had them, those days that you just have to laugh at when they are over, because you'd cry or hide under a rock if you didn't. Share with us your craziest experiences.

I have a $10 Starbucks gift card for the winner (picked at random - Nathan I give you the honors since you do that so well with the video and all ) This topic will close on 3/31 and a winner will be drawn within 5 days of the close of the thread.

Give it a try, anyone can be a winner

Last edited by t.peterson; 03-14-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Hmmmmmm that's interesting T... I'll have to get back to you so i can try to remember the last 10 yrs!

That 10 Gift card would help me buy 1 quad venti 7 pump white mocha w/white mocha drizzle!

Shane Brasseaux
Wood Savers of Texas
"We Beat the Weathering Problem"
post #3 of Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Hey t, I spent almost an hour the other day working on a spot on a nice biege carpet. All the hard work paid off. All the chems in the world could not compete with moving a vase from a table. I hate shadows.LOL Am i the only one who has did this? My wife seems to think so. I think she is just mad that the nice old lady gave me a tall glass of lemonaid. FOR ALL MY HARD WORK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Great Story OP that is what I am talking about!
post #5 of Old 03-18-2007, 11:21 PM

Hey t, Please dont tell anybody. My wife is still laughing about this. I told her that it was a new type of stain i will call it a refletion stain. And i am a master at cleaning them know.LOL Thanks
post #6 of Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

I promise not to tell about your shadow if you promise not to tell anyone that I once vacuumed a whole living room on my knees while pushing the vacuum head around manually once when the handle for our last reserve/working vacuum broke off completely in a home and the customer had no vacuum of their own. There was just no way that we could of even fudged it and left the carpet unvacuumed because this particular customer had birds in that room and their seed and feather littered the whole carpet My staff laughed at me for days for that one, but they did have a new found respect that I would not ask/ allow any one of them to do it
post #7 of Old 03-18-2007, 11:41 PM

t, Im not laughing at you im laughing with you. Thats a great story . Not to funny when it happend. But i think you have moved on from it with no long term problems. I figured when you put this post up that it would fill up quick. I know i have more from the past and that there is more to come. I may come up with a new one tommarow i have a large comm carpet cleaning job. I hope all goes well but if it doesnt i always carry grey duct tape and wire with me for those surprises. THE RED GREEN SCHOOL OF SURVIVAL. Come on everyone post them times on here it dosent hurt to much. Thanks
post #8 of Old 03-19-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by opclean View Post
i always carry grey duct tape and wire with me for those surprises. THE RED GREEN SCHOOL OF SURVIVAL.
Here I thought that I was the only one Add to that - super glue, electrical tape, a couple of screw drivers, those wood crayons of various shades, etc........
post #9 of Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 AM

WOW, Great ideas. I have to copy all that down. I think that will put me light years ahead of the carpet cleaners around here. Thanks t great stuff.
post #10 of Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM

last year went to power wash a house .Going down the to road the house was on and ran over a landscape spike about 6 inch long. then my filter went up on my pressure wash water was spraying everywhere , couldn't finish the job . had to ride to get it fixed about 30 min and go back the day was shot by the time i was done.
post #11 of Old 03-23-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

That is the type of day that I am talking about
post #12 of Old 03-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Truck got stuck in the mud Tue $200 and a three hour wait for a tow truck
post #13 of Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Post-construction (almost) clean for a contractor. Have done a few of his homes but this particular site was his personal residence. They decided to move in before all the painting & cleaning was finished.

Parking was at a premium. Subs were still around and only one place to turn around or you had to back out the drive onto a four lane highway. Steep, narrow drive covered in those jagged rocks the size of softballs and that fine gray cinder-looking gravel. Got there one day before the painters & subs and decided to turn my truck around so I could get out easier. Hit a soft spot and sunk my Ranger in that mess.

Contractor had to pull me out that afternoon with his truck.

Funniest part of it all is that HE got his car stuck a few days later and his wife had to help pull him out with their four wheel drive.

suzi g
post #14 of Old 03-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Got To Love It
post #15 of Old 03-29-2007, 06:55 AM

A day that I was prompted to remember recently whilst being interviewed for an article in a trade journal is not one that I have mentioned over the years, but since the cat is out of the bag:

"What was the worst carpet disaster you've ever faced – and how did you remedy it?
The worst carpet disaster is often the most recent one - those that caused us to suffer in the worst at the time often are the ones that give us the most satisfaction and often the most amusement in the fullness of time.
To illustrate,my worst self-inflicted disaster was in the mid-sixties when I had an idea to improve the efficiency of the dry vacuum stage. At the time I frequently encountered carpets that were swept with a broom as the only form of maintenance.Those that were vacuum'ed at all were 'oovered in the time honoured fashion of 'Mrs Mops' - a few random, high-speed stabs with a vacuum cleaner whose dust-bag was a fermenting midden as bloated as Billy Bunter in a pie factory.
Consequently the dry-soil load was far higher that we customarily encounter today. Also the efficiency of the vacuum cleaners I was using did not match modern standards. So I had the 'brilliant' idea of increasing the efficiency by introducing positive pressure beneath the carpet whilst sucking and beating from above – a stroke of pure genius! The ideal job to test this theory soon presented. A large third-floor room that had been used for many years by a theatrical costumiers.We had the task of bringing this thirty-year-old Axminster back to life.Two or three old cylinder vacuum cleaners had their hoses fitted to the blow end and then inserted beneath the carpet.They were switched on and I had the satisfaction of seeing the whole 36' x 20' of carpet majestically rise from the felt underlay like a low-profile fore-runner to the Millennium Dome.
It was with a feeling of great satisfaction and eager anticipation that my assistant and I went down to the Austin A35 van to collect our vacuum cleaners.We arrived back upstairs, kitted out with dust masks an goggles ( OK - war surplus gas masks- three shillings and sixpence from Jobstocks and a pair of dispatch-riders goggles from the same source ). I thought the room looked a little misty but put this down to the the slightly yellowed goggles. So we set about our task, each starting at opposite ends of the room.After a short while I looked towards Steve to see how he was doing – and could not see the other end of the room! The dust storm created by my 'stroke of genius' had reached proportions that would not have been out of place in the Sahara on its worst day! Needless to say, the planned clean did not take place that day! We let the cloud settle and spent hours vacuuming, only to return the next day to dust all the walls and ceiling, clean the windows and re-vacuum the carpet. It was only on a third visit that, after a further vacuum,we dared wet the carpet. I did not repeat the experiment."

The full article (complete with miss-prints) is at http://www.cleaning-matters.co.uk/st...or_new_growth/
post #16 of Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Oh My!! The lessons we learn (LOL)
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing
post #17 of Old 03-29-2007, 08:43 AM

Talking

It is written that there is no fool like an old fool ...........

Well I did pretty well on that score over four decades ago.......

I'm REALLY getting good at it now
post #18 of Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 AM

Post Construction Cleaning
Long story short– Working on a big 12,000 sf. house, back in the day when we had women crew members.

The builder and new uptight home owner were all present on the site. My wife went to check on one of the new girls cleaning the master bath. The front door to the master bath was locked so my wife knew about and went to the back door to the bathroom (house was big enough to have a bathroom back door as well) that apparently the girl didn't know about.

My wife walked in on her Butt Naked cleaning the shower.

When asked what was she doing, She said, “Cleaning the shower, I always clean my shower naked, don't you”?
post #19 of Old 03-29-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Dang Drew!! I bet you wished you were your wife that day

Just outta curiosity, how long did that employee last?
post #20 of Old 03-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
...............Just outta curiosity, how long did that employee last?
Probably at least until the ticket sales dropped off!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode