Using PVC cleaner on white vinyl siding. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Using PVC cleaner on white vinyl siding.

I have white vinyl siding with woodgrain look. The bottom part of the siding that angles away from the house has a light brown stain(not dirt)that has settled on the front of the house. Neighbors has the samething so i'm assuming it's something thats in the air. Nothing I have used up until now will cut it. I tried clear PVC cleaner and this stuff melts the stain away. I almost can't believe how well it works. Now my problem is will using the PVC cleaner harm the vinyl siding in any way? Vinyl siding is nothing more than PVC,isn't it? I still find it hard to believe I found something that will cut the stain so easily. So is it safe to use it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 AM

It shouldn't break down the siding, but it must be warped after using PVC cleaner?

If you never tried one of those magic erasers on it they are worth a shot.
post #3 of Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Tried that

Tried the magic eraser. Would the pvc cleaner warp the siding? List of stuff that I have tried:Simple Green,Bleach,Gasoline,Ajax,Tilex,GooGone,Orange cleaners,Zud,BonAmi,SoftScrub,Mr.Clean. The only thing that makes a little difference is laquer thinner. It will cut it somewhat but not very good results. With the clear pvc cleaner all you do is put a small amount on and wipe it off and the brown stain simply disappears.

Last edited by deltadart; 07-25-2008 at 01:02 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 AM

PVC cleaner basically softens, cleans and etches pipe in preparation to glue 2 fittings together. The pipe is around 1/4 thick, siding is a fraction of that and if it doesn't end up warping it I'd be worries that it will eat down into the 'layers' of siding if the color isn't all the way through.

If it's a small area in an unnoticeable spot I'd be temped to use it, other wise I would not.

How about Goof-Off? They sell it at Home Depot. I've used it to take graffiti off of siding.
post #5 of Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM

The PVC cleaner could make the vinyl siding clogs. Maybe you just need some strong detergent to wash the vinyl. It would be safer compared to other solutions which are harmful to the vinyl. Roofers

Last edited by ricaroofers; 02-22-2010 at 11:52 AM.
post #6 of Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 AM

PVC is really helpful for pipes fittings together. Just apply a little amount of PVC cleaner on the precise piece of the PVC pipe and let the cleaner to dry off entirely. After that the glue allows the fitting to bind strongly.

Best Regards,
post #7 of Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Before using any sort of chemical on the exterior of your home, always consult an experienced siding contractor in your area. Their experience and knowledge will give you great insight into making siding repairs on your home that won't cause permanent damage!
post #8 of Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 AM

This posts is very informative. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode