The weirdest week ever....the unexpected - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

The weirdest week ever....the unexpected

Based on some very unexpected situations but very prosperous ones I need some help here.

1. I am having trouble with the move in cleanings people are ALWAYS cancelling. Would it work charging a deposit.

2. I had a very fickle complaint. And it was very very very very detailed stuff that you cannot even see. How do you handle very picky people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 AM

Dealing with picky people is always hard. you really only have 2 choices:

1: detail even more, if they are willing to pay for the extra time, clean, clean clean.

or

2: don't worry about it, hope to get the jobs where the people are not as picky.

as far as your cancellings, I would try to find out why they are canceling, are they finding a better price, or do they just need to re-schedule? just ask why when they cancel, and see if you can help them, and keep track to see if a trend develops.

IMHO a deposit isn't a good idea, it scares people off.

post #3 of Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Pickiness

I've had some very picky people, and sometimes I feel like they are not worth the trouble, but it really depends on their attitude.

When I get a complaint, which luckily has been pretty rare, I try to think of it as a suggestion and add the "missed" task to my "detail schedule." I do uncommon details on a rotational basis, some of those things only get done every couple of months or so, but customers really do appreciate the difference, even if they are not the "picky" type. Every time I get a "suggestion" I become a littler bit better at my job and my references are that much more glowing. I've also learned that when a brand new customer nitpicks, if they are a regularly occurring customer, you can tell them that you have the task on your "detail schedule" and that you are already planning on getting to it on your next visit.

At the end of the day though, there are always going to be those people you just can't please. If some people see even the slightest streak on their floor, that can only be seen from a certain angle, they will complain, yet they won't want to pay you for the time it takes to clean it on your hands and knees for that "ultimate clean".

Just my two cents. Curious to see what others have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 AM

I think you two gave very good answers. I am not good with picky people at all. I will fire a picky customer quicker than they can complain. You do NOT have to deal with a picky person. There are way too many good customers out there. We stopped doing move ins/outs many years ago because the work is too hard and people don't want to pay for what they want. If we do a move in/out it is for a regular customer only. When we did do move ins/outs I had strict rules... none that will help you with a cancellation but might help with payment. We had to have CASH upfront when we arrived.... no checks.... CASH ONLY. We do not start work until CASH is in my hand and our time starts when we arrive. If the said customer did not have CASH when we arrived we either left or they went to get cash and we waited.... but remember, their cleaning time started when we arrived. So if it takes them an hour to get the cash, they get less cleaning. It is NOT your fault the customer has poor planning so make THEM pay for your time they are wasting. Explain how it works before hand so they know you are serious.
post #5 of Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
I think you two gave very good answers. I am not good with picky people at all. I will fire a picky customer quicker than they can complain. You do NOT have to deal with a picky person. There are way too many good customers out there. We stopped doing move ins/outs many years ago because the work is too hard and people don't want to pay for what they want. If we do a move in/out it is for a regular customer only. When we did do move ins/outs I had strict rules... none that will help you with a cancellation but might help with payment. We had to have CASH upfront when we arrived.... no checks.... CASH ONLY. We do not start work until CASH is in my hand and our time starts when we arrive. If the said customer did not have CASH when we arrived we either left or they went to get cash and we waited.... but remember, their cleaning time started when we arrived. So if it takes them an hour to get the cash, they get less cleaning. It is NOT your fault the customer has poor planning so make THEM pay for your time they are wasting. Explain how it works before hand so they know you are serious.
I think I am too nice sometimes. I was told by a friend to assert myself better.

Do you charge hourly or for a certain number of hours? Why do you make the move in/outs pay in cash. I like cash better too...LOL Too many issues with checks.
post #6 of Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 AM

I make them pay in cash because I do not know them. How do I know they are giving me a good check or a bad check? They might be moving to China for all I know... just because they say they are moving across town doesn't mean they are telling me the truth.

I'll give you an example of what I would do if I was you. I do it a lil different but I'd suggest this for you. Tell them you will give them the up to 6 hours of cleaning for $250. Any time after that is (insert your hourly price here). But.... if it only takes you 4 hours you still get the $250. $250 is the base price. So... if it takes you 4 hours to clean you get $250. Or if it takes you 6 hours you get $250. And if for example it takes you 8 hours you get the $250..... then when you are not finished you need to call and see if they want you to continue. If they say yes, tell them you will need another $25 or $50 or what ever you think you need to finish. If they don't want to pay any more.... pack your stuff and go home. You worked your 6 hours and you are done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode