What to charge when you are cleaning professionally - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

What to charge when you are cleaning professionally

Hi,

I used to run a cleaning business and made a lot of money doing it. Not only did I make a lot of money, but I made myself a good name, by the quality of work and the prices I charged.
The key to a successful cleaning business is to charge cheaper than others, but do a quality job.
My cleaning business started off with a humble beginning, a small banged up vaccum and a few cleaning products, but as I worked, word of mouth began to advertise for me. In the end I had so much work, I couldn't do it all, and people were pretty much begging me to do a job for them, but I couldn't fit them in.
The other key principle is stay away from greed. If you charge cheaper, but do an A1 job, you might not make as much to start off with, but you will make up for any money you think you've lost, because people these days are looking for a job well done and a price to match, and people will flock to you as they did me.

Falconess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Very good point and I am in a similar type of situation here in Florida. 2nd year of running a carpet cleaning business and while we are not the least expensive we are very reasonable. You actually can raise prices once you become so busy you can't get to all the work. This way you can weed out all the cheapest and smallest jobs and have a higher profit margin with actually working less. You should be paid properly for a thorough professional job IMO.
This is what we do at our Tampa carpet cleaning company.

Family Time Cleaning
8723 huntfield st
Tampa FL 33635
(727)742-5677
http://familytimecleaning.com/
post #3 of Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM

I am the exact opposite and prefer to be paid top dollar for high quality services. This way I work less, make more, most of those jobs are the much better maintained homes and the clientele is use to paying top dollar for companies like mine. In our area in California there is plenty of high end homes and clientele for this business plan to work very well. I run orange county carpet cleaning in So Cal and have been in the carpet cleaning industry for 17 years. I can also see the other plan working in different markets but, I just feel you end up working to many hours, jobs, etc... To get to where they higher paid companies are and in a much shorter day.

Pacific Ocean Carpet Care
43 woodswallow lane
Aliso Viejo, Ca, 92656
(949) 230-5496
http://freshcleanhome.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

What to charge when you are cleaning professionally.

Hi Bill,

Wow, thats a great achievement having your business running for so long. Well done Bill. I had to close mine down when my marriage broke up, but thats okay, I'm running an Instrument sterilisation unit now in day surgery at the mini hospital I work in, and loving it.
I can understand you wanna be paid top dollar for the top work you do, I just found that yes I was workin more hours, but I was makin customers extremely happy with what I did for them, the business was booming. Just before my marriage fell apart, I scored a massive contract, but had to pull out, I know had the business kept going, it would have been the best in town, but it wasnt meant to be, and Im happy, money is needed but it aint everything. For me personally, after what I have been through, I'd rather be poor but happy, than rich and sad.
Great to hear from ya.
post #5 of Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

What to charge when you are cleaning professionally.

Hi Mcatt,

Thanks for your post. All I can tell ya is keep up the good work, it will pay off in the end.
My then husband and I used to work at the Alice Springs hospital together, then we would clean offices and things after work, it was hard work, but like I said it paid off, business wise.
I have also found out that all work and no recreation time is like waiting for a bomb to go off, sooner or later somethins gotta give.
Anyway, great to hear from ya.

Falconess.
post #6 of Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 AM

Hey Nice Thread! One of my friend was also running with the same situation. He has stared with crystal chandelier cleaning service by providing the best services of lighting fixture. Though I agreed with all the point , which you have shared. However cleaning business is to charge cheaper than others and also a profitable business too.

Last edited by NelsonJohn; 04-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
post #7 of Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks John,

Well I thought it would be good to share what I did with my cleaning business, it might help someone along the way. It was amazing how many people wanted us to clean for them, it made you feel really good. People appreciate honest hard work, and will keep coming back if the quality of work is produced. People will even be prepared to pay a little more if they know they're going to get a good job done.

post #8 of Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM

I tell a story on my dvd of when I first started out window cleaning and priced out a job where I ended up only making around $35/hr. The following year I returned to do a repeat clean at the same bid price but because of the improvements in my technique, my earnings on that job increased to $70/hr. Simply because I was now cleaning more windows per hour
post #9 of Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thats cool agricon07, real cool. All the best with your business.

Rita
post #10 of Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM

I run my own business and have made healthy profits, however there is always periods of quiet trade and the most difficult task has been to protect the stability of the business from this! Anyone else agree?
post #11 of Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconess View Post
Hi,

I used to run a cleaning business and made a lot of money doing it. Not only did I make a lot of money, but I made myself a good name, by the quality of work and the prices I charged.
The key to a successful cleaning business is to charge cheaper than others, but do a quality job.
My cleaning business started off with a humble beginning, a small banged up vaccum and a few cleaning products, but as I worked, word of mouth began to advertise for me. In the end I had so much work, I couldn't do it all, and people were pretty much begging me to do a job for them, but I couldn't fit them in.
The other key principle is stay away from greed. If you charge cheaper, but do an A1 job, you might not make as much to start off with, but you will make up for any money you think you've lost, because people these days are looking for a job well done and a price to match, and people will flock to you as they did me.

Falconess
Well, try to understand how will you progress in cleaning business. If you do a such job, you won't keep your clients for lengthy. Think about performing for a cleaning service during that see how they do it. You can often use minimum income you make at beginning of your own cleaning business.
post #12 of Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Hi Vaclav,

Thankyou for your post, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You did mention though that one would not keep their customers for a lengthy period of time. With all due respect I would have to disagree, only because I had kept one client for nearly as long as I had the business. Good customers are loyal, and very rarely do they go elsewhere, I have found this to be the case when I was in business. Like I had said earlier, I had such a high demand for my work, that I had to decline jobs.
post #13 of Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Hi Tomkent,

A very good question brought up. Yep I would have to agree with you, all businessess go through quiet seasons though, but with a cleaning business you can never go wrong. Everyone needs cleaning done, whether it be domestic or industrial, theres a lot of money in cleaning, you just gotta have a good hardworking team, be organised, on time and with attention to detail.

See ya.
post #14 of Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Useful solutions you all have provided here about charge when you are cleaning professionally. Cleaning of carpet is not exactly too complicated. The selecting of a carpet washing assistance will make sure that your carpeting look eye-catching and recognize no price; moreover, to have much durability.
post #15 of Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi ryderbatchh,

Nice to hear from you. You say real estate is booming in the UK. What gets me is where in the world do people get all this money from? Theres a show here on tv, (which I don't watch tv anymore) of couples in the UK buying old homes, churches etc buying them for about 700,000 pounds and then doing them up and living in them. Goodness me I wouldnt see that kind of money in 2 lifetimes let alone one. LOL!
post #16 of Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM

I guess it depends on the season when it comes to prices. If you need more work, you can lower prices a bit. However, you have to be consistent with the quality of work. You can make more by doing more in shorter time, though, at some point, you might run out of gas...

Clean4Real
post #17 of Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi Bloun,

I agree, consistency is the key. People get a taste of your work, if it's consistent in quality, people will then promote your business for you. I think I had said earlier in the piece, that I hardly advertised my business, I was getting calls through other customers I had previously cleaned for. Thats how a business grows. One can spend thousands of dollars and a lot of time promoting ones business, but if the quality isn't there, you've just wasted your money. There are a lot of people out there that do not produce what they advertise, and then they scratch their head and wonder why their business isn't booming.
As the saying goes and will last, Honesty is the best Policy. Keep your business above reproach and watch it grow, you'll be amazed.
post #18 of Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconess View Post
Hi Tomkent,

A very good question brought up. Yep I would have to agree with you, all businessess go through quiet seasons though, but with a cleaning business you can never go wrong. Everyone needs cleaning done, whether it be domestic or industrial, theres a lot of money in cleaning, you just gotta have a good hardworking team, be organised, on time and with attention to detail.

See ya.
Yeah I guess you are right, although my gardening services don't receive as much interest in winter...
post #19 of Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi Tomkent45,

How are you? Nice to hear from you. I just read your post and a thought just came to me, do you include gutter cleaning with your services? The reason I ask is because you had stated that your business doesnt get much interest in the Winter. I guess it depends what part of the world your from right. Well if it snows in winter, maybe you could offer snow removal as part of your business, theres a lot you can do with cleaning and gardening. The best way to find out what people need is to ask, maybe knock on a few doors or put out advertising material in their letter box of your business with a broader range of services, people like variety.

Cya.
post #20 of Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Starting Up

It sounds like you have done very well, may I asked how you promoted your cleaning service. and which you found to work the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode