what do you clean? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-22-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

what do you clean?

As residential cleaners are we supposed to do dishes, wash clothes, organize closets, etc. What exactly do we clean because I don't want to get a job and be expected to clean more than I should. I really need advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 PM

It's up to YOU to set the things that you do. Are you a cleaning service or are you a maid service? There IS a difference no matter what anyone says. A cleaning service cleans. A maid service does all the stuff you talked about above. I have always owned a cleaning service but if I had 15 employees again I would add on maid service to rake in the money. If they want the extra's, they need to pay for the extras.

As for what is expected from a customer..... don't let it get to you if they want things you don't offer. When you go to their house to give them a price you can tell them what all you do. But what if you have set your service up to not do dishes yet they want dishes done? Just tell them you don't do dishes. But what if they don't want to hire you because you don't do dishes? Then tell them that you wish them luck in finding someone that does dishes and move on. Or you can cave in and do what ever anyone wants and believe me you WILL be unhappy and it will carry over in to your personal life. Or, if your plan was to give a price over the phone then turn off your computer right now, head to McDonald's and get a job.

Personally, we've never done any of those. But, I do know a lady that when she had her service she added on organization and charged $100 per hour. As for dishes, for me personally to do dishes it would take MUCH more than $100 an hour for me to touch any dishes. As for clothes..... realize how long it actually takes to do a load of clothes. Compared to cleaning you should charge about $250 for 2 loads of clothes if you want to make a profit. What's that? No person in their right mind would pay $250 to have 2 loads of clothes washed? EXACTLY.... so if your time isn't worth $250 to them, go clean another house and make money instead of jacking around with 2 damn loads of clothes their lazy (*) could have done very easily while they watch tv at night. On the other hand.... you never know how much some crazy person will pay for laundry.

You will find that when YOU set YOUR rules in YOUR life and YOUR business YOU will have a very happy life.

If you have a hard time with doing what I said above there is a book called BOUNDARIES. You can find it on Amazon, at book stores or on daveramsey.com

Last edited by sprintcar93; 08-22-2015 at 01:08 PM.
post #3 of Old 08-22-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. I really value your advice because you hold no punches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Kitchen, bathrooms, dusting and floors are a 'basic' package, but I love to add extras to maximize earnings at each house. (Literally just wrote a post about this.) Changing sheets and re-making beds is an awesome add-on. Just be sure, whatever the extras are, that you are charging for the time... including dirty dishes (unless they want you to skip the sink).
Gather all the information about what they hope and expect you to accomplish when you are setting the price. (Renegotiate if you need to) If charging by the hour, understand what their max amount is so you can juggle their priorities accordingly. Don't hesitate to communicate with them to hammer out the specifics; they'll see that you aim to please but won't be taken advantage of.

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-22-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #5 of Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 PM

I agree with sprintcar

I'm just in the planning phases of my cleaning business. I've been doing craigslist ads online and basically just doing what they ask. I need to stop this though and set up a proper business (license, bonded, and insured).

I've learned that it's important to tell the customer what you offer instead of the other way around. Otherwise you'll end up having these chores added on to your house cleaning: poop patrol in the backyard, spray the house for fleas, make the customer a sandwich. That's cool if you like making sandwiches but if you want to be a house cleaner you'd better have a list of what you do & don't do or charge lots of $$$$ for sandwich prep!!! I know from personal experience!!!

I second sprintcar's views on laundry. I think I will charge mega bucks for it when I get my official business going. I've wasted too much time waiting for the laundry to dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode