What are your rates for residential? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-19-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

What are your rates for residential?

I've been searching all over this forum and haven't been able to get much info on pricing. I'm trying to figure out a good rate for residential move in/move out cleans. What do you guys typically charge for that?

And for the people who offer carpet cleaning, how do you typically price that?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM

I am surprised there is not more talk about people's rates also. For some odd reason lots of people think that what others charge has something to do with what they charge.

Let's start with carpet cleaning. Are you IICRC certified? Do you have a truck mount?

As for house cleaning.... if you call me for a price how would you know what my over-head is? You have no idea what kind of insurance I have to pay for. If I have employees are they paid under the table or do I take out taxes for them and pay all the other crap for them? Do I have an office that I pay for each month? If so, what about electric, water and other things? What about my advertising budget each month? Do I furnish cars for my girls to drive? If so... $$$$! Do I pay $ .99 for a bottle of window cleaner at the $ .99 store or do I pay $ .01 for a bottle of window cleaner? Do I pay $ .07 for a Magic Eraser or do I pay $ .65 for a Magic Eraser? How about all the other variables? Maybe I drive a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix and work out of my trunk. Or maybe you have just called a crack head that just wants enough money for the daily fix.......

See, how does what someone else charge have anything to do with what you charge? I just don't understand......?
post #3 of Old 08-19-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
I am surprised there is not more talk about people's rates also. For some odd reason lots of people think that what others charge has something to do with what they charge.

Let's start with carpet cleaning. Are you IICRC certified? Do you have a truck mount?

As for house cleaning.... if you call me for a price how would you know what my over-head is? You have no idea what kind of insurance I have to pay for. If I have employees are they paid under the table or do I take out taxes for them and pay all the other crap for them? Do I have an office that I pay for each month? If so, what about electric, water and other things? What about my advertising budget each month? Do I furnish cars for my girls to drive? If so... $$$$! Do I pay $ .99 for a bottle of window cleaner at the $ .99 store or do I pay $ .01 for a bottle of window cleaner? Do I pay $ .07 for a Magic Eraser or do I pay $ .65 for a Magic Eraser? How about all the other variables? Maybe I drive a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix and work out of my trunk. Or maybe you have just called a crack head that just wants enough money for the daily fix.......

See, how does what someone else charge have anything to do with what you charge? I just don't understand......?
As for the carpet cleaning, no I am not certified and I do not have a truck mount. I haven't started my business yet, I am still in the planning phase; just trying to gather as much info as possible before I launch. I understand there are many variables, but I am just trying to find a price that will keep the customers coming in while at the same time not cheating myself out of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM

Hi Clevelander I started in the residential area specifically and don't offer carpet cleaning. What I found most helpful when starting out is to shop for rates in the areas near where you'll be doing business. Some people will tell you to call up other services and see what they would charge but you can also google the service you are "researching" near your area and visit their website. I was very surprised to see how many companies actually break it down very nicely. Like Sprintcar said there are many variables that need to be taken into consideration when pricing, but at least you'll have ball park figures.
If you do decide to google don't just look on the first page you'll be able to find much more info on the other pages, also yelp reviews tend to put the services website link.
Good luck on your new endevor
post #5 of Old 08-19-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchaco01 View Post
Hi Clevelander I started in the residential area specifically and don't offer carpet cleaning. What I found most helpful when starting out is to shop for rates in the areas near where you'll be doing business. Some people will tell you to call up other services and see what they would charge but you can also google the service you are "researching" near your area and visit their website. I was very surprised to see how many companies actually break it down very nicely. Like Sprintcar said there are many variables that need to be taken into consideration when pricing, but at least you'll have ball park figures.
If you do decide to google don't just look on the first page you'll be able to find much more info on the other pages, also yelp reviews tend to put the services website link.
Thank you for the advice!
post #6 of Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchaco01 View Post
And now let me tell you why this has nothing to do with real life. I've told this story before..... when I added on carpet cleaning to my residential cleaning service (prolly 15 years ago) I charged $ .50sf. I got to know a local guy that sold carpet cleaning supplies really well. He had been in the carpet cleaning business for over 20 years and had sold his company just a few years before. The exact conversation was that I was telling him how I got a $100 tip on a $600 job. He was like.... wtf????

So he asked me how much I charge. I said $ .50sf. He was once again like.... WTF???? He said the highest carpet cleaning company in town (at that time) only charged $ .27sf. He was like.... how are you getting $ .50sf? No one ever gets that much.

I just explained that I SOLD it to the customer. And that I didn't care what anyone else was charging because I knew what I needed to charge. He was freaking out. lol

So if I would have called around and everyone in town would have told me they charge from $ .22sf to $ .27sf I might have F'ed myself and made a small amount of profit like everyone else in town was doing. Seems like a dumb (*) thing to do if you ask me.

Or, just a couple of weeks ago someone called for house cleaning. I forget what price we told them.... something like $250 or $350 probably. So my girl calls the guy back and asks if he wants to set up the time to clean and he says he found someone that would do it for $45.

So I should call around and set my prices near the $45 mark? Seems like another dumb (*) thing to do if you ask me.

By the way.... showing up with one of those rented splash & dash units from the grocery store is not called carpet cleaning. They use the wrong type of cleaner and they don't have anywhere near enough suction to get the crap that you put in to the carpet back out. Not to mention..... how will you get out nail polish? Or blue kool aid? Or rust? Or red kool aid? Or coffee? You can't just spray some of the $9.99 soap on it and hope for the best. I know this hopefully isn't your intentions.... just saying for anyone in the future that reads this.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 08-20-2015 at 11:16 PM.
post #7 of Old 08-21-2015, 07:56 PM

What exactly do you guys clean when doing residentials. A friend of mine told me that cleaning services are supposed to do dishes, wash and fold clothes, and a bunch of other things. Is this true?
post #8 of Old 08-22-2015, 01:10 PM

First lesson of life..... never listen to friends about business. Friends do fun stuff together, save the business talk for others.
post #9 of Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 PM

or bring "friends into your business (sprintcar) probably most helpful post i've seen tonite!
post #10 of Old 08-24-2015, 07:28 PM

That is true, although I break the rule a lot, it is best to never bring a friend in as a partner. The 1 ship that rarely sails is a partnerSHIP.

As I've said before, the only way to have a good partnership is if the business you go in to is not your bread & butter. If it's the type of business where if it fails you won't go hungry and you both agree on that before you go in to the business you should be ok.... if both sides actually agree.

Myself and a girl that I know was trying to start a business together and we never could get on the same page so we didn't do it. It's ok to back out before it starts if you see it's not going to work. This actually happened twice within the last 3 months. I'm just as quick to say no as I am to say yes and you should be too.
post #11 of Old 10-01-2015, 05:06 AM

American septic services are situated in Lake worth, Florida. They offer professional and reliable solutions for both commercial and residential needs. Their septic tank cleaning business has succeeded with hard work. They offer a wide range of services with professional tools and expert technicians.

Septic tank filter, Septic tank cleaning service, Cheap septic services, Concrete Septic Tanks
post #12 of Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Let's call that one...... Spam with American cheese.

I'm going to start naming them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode