Working for so little in OZ. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Working for so little in OZ.

Hello fellow cleaners, I have just started out in the game doing a little real estate work, you know end of lease sort of cleans. I have done my homework as to what others are charging for cleaning and came across several cleaners working for as little as sixteen dollars per hour, Australian. How on earth can these people be making money?

The problem is that the real estate agents don't care just as long as the cleaning gets done. Now little old me comes along with my prices which here in oz can be so little yet so high. (Huge price bracket) for the same cleaning. I feel I am somewhere in between with my prices eg, covering costs and making profit which is all good but I keep thinking that these others that are charging so little have the bulk of the market and are getting continous work.

I clean meticulously to impress the agents but at the end of the day I feel that they go for the cheaper quote. Any advise for a worried newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 AM

I'll give you a glimmer of hope. Two out of every five people shop on price alone. That leaves you three people that are willing to pay for a quality experience. That doesn't mean the highest quality cleaning.. its the experience that counts. Your goal is to find those customers.

Your chosen field of work may be a limiting factor. Cleaning meticulously just does not lend itself to the type of client you are doing now. New tenants are going to do their own thorough cleaning when they move in. Your job is to get the bulk stuff looking good so the agent or property manager can get new people in there ASAP.

People will pay more for good detailed work. They will not pay for perfection. They may ask for it, but they won't pay for it. You'll have to play around with your efficiency. Though I am in a different field than you (exterior cleaning) one success I have had is offering multiple plans/levels of cleaning. Consumers like to be empowered with choices. Try devising 3 levels of cleaning (I call mine silver, gold and platinum). The lowest level is a basic cleaning. This is what your real estate people will opt for. You have to be disciplined and stick to your game plan. You get and you get out. There may be some agents that opt for the higher level plans. Its all about giving them the choice and you making enough money to stay in business.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM

great advice Ken!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode