a 1000 dollars Marketing Budget - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

a 1000 dollars Marketing Budget

If you had a $1000 to spare for marketing, which strategy would you advice for a new carpet cleaning business, from SEO, flyers, sales letters, cold calling, local paper ads, Facebook, Twitter, etc. just to mention but a few.

Now accepting guest posts - The best carpet cleaning services
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM

I do have $1000 and my marketing starts next week. But I've only spent a fraction of $1000 because I'm afraid it will bring in too many calls so I'm waiting to find out before I move forward with anything else. Mine is for residential cleaning though.

Are you wanting residential or commercial clients?

You realize you are in one of the toughest businesses in the US, right? Just wasn't enough in it for all the hard work to get a customer for me. I'll be honest with you and say this..... I easily have $10,000 to market with and I don't think that would be enough to bring in a boat load of customers. Who knows what PPC is for carpet cleaning. The big companies that have a lot of money have driven up the price for everything. You need to pay close attention on your ROI. If it costs $300 to get 1 customer and they pay you $99..... you lost $201 and had to clean a carpet. But let's say you live in a magical world and they call you back 2 more times.... so now you've cleaned the carpet 3 times and still at a loss of $3 for advertising plus gas, chemicals and what ever else. Like commercial cleaning, I have to say that carpet cleaning is a pick up the phone and start dialing type of business these days. Good luck!
post #3 of Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Well said sprintcar. For a new carpet cleaning business, $1000 is way too high. You only need to get flyers, and the rest you can do by yourself. SEO for your business in this point in time would not yield any significant results and I don't think it ever will in the next 3 maybe even 4 quarters. There's always someone out there outspending you on online marketing so don't worry about rankings for the time being. I suggest you do cold calls and hand out flyers yourself that way you'd be able to answer questions if there are any. Do you know any local cleaning business that does not offer carpet cleaning as of late? Getting some sort of partnership with another cleaning business with a good reputation would help you out a lot.

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM

I would recommend SEO because for $1000 can get you a strong SEO foundation with all the basics covered. IT won't get you the top notch SEO campaign but will get your basis covered. Make sure you select a legit agency/freelancer since there is lots of scams out there.
post #5 of Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM

In order for any website/SEO to work, wouldn't a potential client need to be on the internet looking for a new cleaner? I'm just not feeling it with commercial work.
post #6 of Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
In order for any website/SEO to work, wouldn't a potential client need to be on the internet looking for a new cleaner? I'm just not feeling it with commercial work.
not sure why a lot of people keep on recommending expensive website/SEO plans to neophytes. It just isn't cost-effective at all atm. and $1000 wouldn't even get you anywhere near page 1 of any search engine. There's just way too many people spending so much on it that it isn't even worth spending on unless you're loaded.
post #7 of Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetcleaningcompanies View Post
If you had a $1000 to spare for marketing, which strategy would you advice for a new carpet cleaning business, from SEO, flyers, sales letters, cold calling, local paper ads, Facebook, Twitter, etc. just to mention but a few.
that doesnt make since, it depends on whether that 1000 is just a start up marketing cost or not, are you planning on spending more money after that because business require on going marketing. I would suggest SEO though. Once your at the top the calls just keep coming in. The only way to eventually have a means to an end to stop paying.
post #8 of Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
that doesnt make since, it depends on whether that 1000 is just a start up marketing cost or not, are you planning on spending more money after that because business require on going marketing. I would suggest SEO though. Once your at the top the calls just keep coming in. The only way to eventually have a means to an end to stop paying.
there is no such thing as "a means to an end to stop paying" if you don't actually know how to do it yourself. SEO is war and if you stop spending then you gonna start losing.
post #9 of Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD_Lape View Post
there is no such thing as "a means to an end to stop paying" if you don't actually know how to do it yourself. SEO is war and if you stop spending then you gonna start losing.
I think if you make it to the number one position and you have what google is looking for as far as click through rate and other algorithm factors google is looking for, you will stay at the top. Plus if you have what people are looking for they will most likely share it which creates backlinks for you via social media and site links and all that. yeah it will take a lot of time to get there but if you work really hard and become an authority in that field it is very likely you will remain number 1.
post #10 of Old 03-21-2015, 02:49 PM

I would highly recommend using Facebook ads. This way you can strongly target people who you are trying to attract to your business, and your ads will show up for them. Also making sure to include a good call to action in your ad will make it a great way for people to want to call you. Offer a free quote for your services, and people would love to call just to see how much it would cost. Then, when they call, you sell them your service.
post #11 of Old 03-21-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealClean View Post
I would highly recommend using Facebook ads. This way you can strongly target people who you are trying to attract to your business, and your ads will show up for them. Also making sure to include a good call to action in your ad will make it a great way for people to want to call you. Offer a free quote for your services, and people would love to call just to see how much it would cost. Then, when they call, you sell them your service.
What kind of luck did you have when you gave this a try? How long did you run the ad and how many calls did you get?
post #12 of Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM

Flyers and distribute them in your local area should be the first option, then go to freelancing sites like Odesk and hire a cheap SEO professional to optimise your website for your target carpet cleaning keywords.
post #13 of Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
I think if you make it to the number one position and you have what google is looking for as far as click through rate and other algorithm factors google is looking for, you will stay at the top. Plus if you have what people are looking for they will most likely share it which creates backlinks for you via social media and site links and all that. yeah it will take a lot of time to get there but if you work really hard and become an authority in that field it is very likely you will remain number 1.
you have a point but it takes way too much time and effort do climb up the ladder and I honestly don't think $1000 would have you on top 50. It just doesn't make any sense to invest so much on SEO as early as starting up since it wouldn't really net you anything. In this industry, internet is the least of your worries. I'd rather spend $1000 on trainings and little things like more microfiber towels that greatly affects job results than online marketing.
post #14 of Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 PM

When Two Maids And A Mop can't make it passed the 4th page in some areas, do you really think $1k is going to amount to anything? Sure, in a few rare instances you can make it to the top but in reality, if $1k would get you to the top..... if you just do it yourself you could probably get yourself to the top because $1k does nothing as far as SEO s concerned.

I know most have no idea who Two Maids And A Mop are and what their marketing plan was/is.... but if you are serious about actually making money in this business, you should. They had it conquered..... for awhile.....
post #15 of Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
When Two Maids And A Mop can't make it passed the 4th page in some areas, do you really think $1k is going to amount to anything? Sure, in a few rare instances you can make it to the top but in reality, if $1k would get you to the top..... if you just do it yourself you could probably get yourself to the top because $1k does nothing as far as SEO s concerned.

I know most have no idea who Two Maids And A Mop are and what their marketing plan was/is.... but if you are serious about actually making money in this business, you should. They had it conquered..... for awhile.....
If you are serious about actually making money in this business, I don't think you'd spend so much time on silly things like SEO. Go hand out promotional materials and what not. Do more jobs maybe? learn the crazy kinks of the industry.
post #16 of Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM

SEO can definitely be effective, but I probably wouldn't spend my first $1000 for marketing on it. I'd go the door-to-door flyer route.

Luckily SEO can be done for free if you're willing to do some reading and are willing to try things out in order to improve your business.

If you're looking for some really quick SEO tips, here are three things I'd do first to boost your site:

1) I would start with getting your online citations in order. Here's a list of sites you'll want to be listed on: whitespark.ca/top-local-citation-sources-by-country

2) I'd also set up a Google Business Page. This is your chance to tell Google directly about your business, what you do, and which areas you service. Verifying your business is easy and helps with your website rankings.

3) Lastly I'd make sure that the on-page SEO for your site is in good order. The biggest mistake I see is not putting your keyword and city in the title of your webpage. For a good example, check out ericd's tile restoration site up above (it's in his signature). On his homepage, let your mouse hover over the tab and you'll see the title of his homepage which says

"Mexican Tile Restoration | Saltillo Tile Restoration | Tile Cleaning Phoenix AZ, Orange County & Los Angeles California"

Of course there's more to it than just these three tips, but these are the things that have given us our biggest gains when it comes to Google rankings.

You should see your Google rankings improve just by doing these 3 things alone. How well you improve depends on your competition and how internet marketing savvy they are.
post #17 of Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM

Just read this great post to help you get started: searchenginejournal.com/seo-101-getting-started-local-seo-scratch/127749/ (sorry can't post links yet, I'm too new)
post #18 of Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 PM

I would suggest you get a very experienced person to do for you PPC in your local area, PPC is very targeted and you will save big time and maximize your return on investment.
post #19 of Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Invest on an Online Scheduling Software

Choosing an online scheduling system can be difficult. You need a calendar thatís easy to use, yet robust enough to manage your unique business. Plus, clients today want to be able to easily schedule appointments anytime, day or night Ė right from their phones.

As MyTime CEO Ethan Anderson noted: ďAmericaís small businesses are falling massively behind when it comes to finding, booking and paying for services online, even more so when it comes to mobile.Ē

To make sure youíre staying ahead of the game, here are 10 features you need in your next scheduling software:

1. Real-time scheduling. Clients today prefer to see your real-time availability and book a confirmed appointment. Your software calendar should be able to confirm the appointment right away, instead of requiring the client to request a time with you.

2. Access your schedule from your phone. Make sure you can access and manage your schedule from anywhere, whether youíre at work or on-the-go. Itís also important to sync your personal calendar such as Google Calendar, iCal or Outlook so that youíre never double-booking your time.

3. Automatic appointment reminders. Calling all of your clients to confirm appointments is time-consuming. Your software calendar should be able to automatically send reminders to your clients before the appointment. As an added bonus, make sure it can remind your clients when itís time to rebook.

4. Client messaging tool. Look for an integrated chat tool that allows you to communicate effortlessly with your clients. Does your current calendar allow you to SMS and/or email with each client?

5. Instant promotions. Have any slow times during the day? Choose a scheduling software that utilizes happy hour pricing to discount those slow or hard-to-fill times.

6. Employee access control. If you have multiple employees, decide how much control they can have over their schedule. Then, be sure you can set an individual level of access for each employee.

7. Client Manager. Keep all of your clients in one place, including appointment history and notes about each client. Do any of your clients get special pricing? Select a scheduling program where you can easily save custom prices for individual clients.

8. Reviews. Look for a scheduling software that prompts customers to write reviews and syndicates them across the web. You should be able to publish them to your own website and share them on sites like Twitter or Facebook.

9. New client acquisition. The perfect scheduling software not only manages your current clients Ė but also helps you find new customers. Does your scheduling software do that?

10. Ease of use. Itís no fun to struggle with a counter-intuitive product. Select a scheduling software that makes sense to you (and your budget), but be sure itís easy for your staff and clients to use as well.

If youíre looking for a scheduling software that does all of that and more, check out the MyTime Scheduler. MyTime Schedulerô combines four products in one: A state-of-the-art online calendar, client manager, automated marketing engine and instant messenger that allows you to chat with any of your clients in real time. All of these great features are available right from your mobile phone.

Try Scheduler free for 30 days with plans starting at just $9.99/month. Learn more about MyTime Scheduler.
mytime.com/merchants/scheduler
post #20 of Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Damn.... all that for $1000 and they will get you on the first page too and keep you there? Is that guaranteed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode