Accepting Credit Cards - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Accepting Credit Cards

We're looking to begin accepting credit cards from our clients. We're not really looking to get a card reader for our phones or anything. We would like to get their card info and then charge them when we are finished the cleaning. I looked up some info online and it looks like I would be more interested in Gateway Services. Is anybody familiar with this?

What systems do you use for accepting credit cards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Honestly, unless you have a minimum of 3-5 employees it would be a real waste of money... but it's your money to do what you want. And thinking about it for the few seconds it took to type that.... I would have to have a LOT of employees before I wasted the money. VERY easy to collect money in residential cleaning, I've never had a problem since I made the rule of being paid before we work. Now for the mowing business.... that is a totally different story. Mowing is 100% credit card but here is how it works.... the day the job is done we email them an invoice through PayPal and they pay before their next mowing. If they haven't paid, they are informed they will not be mowed until they pay.

You are going to cost yourself a LOT of money over the next 5 years. Use the calculator......

By the way, in order to keep a credit card on file you should google pci dss. It's not as easy as getting the customers cc number and charging it as you want.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 08-07-2015 at 04:06 PM.
post #3 of Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Do you mind explaining what all theses costs are? From what I understand its like a $25 fee per month and then 1.65% per transaction. Is that what your saying is going to cost me ALOT of money over the next 5 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-08-2015, 01:32 AM

If that is what they charge then that is the cost.

$25 x 12 = $1500 + let's just say for example you have a low number of 6 customers per day $1.65 x 6 = $9.90 x 5 = $49.5 x 52 = $2574 x 5 = $12870 + $1500 = $14370 that would be wasted for absolutely no reason. And if you plan on making a business out of this at all it should be atleast DOUBLE that.

But like I said, it's your money to spend as you wish. Just think if you invested that money instead of wasting it... I don't know how old you are but if you are in your 30's and you invested that money and didn't take it out until you are 65 years old... you would send me a thank you letter because it would be about 10x that amount.

Just humor me, why do you want to take credit cards? How many employees do you currently have and how many is your goal?
post #5 of Old 08-08-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Wow, you're quite full of yourself huh? Do you not have friends or family around? Or do you think you're business is just that much better than everybody else's? I'll just go ask other boards for their help.
post #6 of Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 AM

LMAO yeah, go to the other boards where they won't give you real numbers. Did the numbers scare you? You are a F ing IDIOT!

You don't like the real world so you will go hide in another board where they won't gove you real numbers? You want to live in a world that doesn't have a calculator? Dumbass

Is my business better than anyone else's? That's what I've heard from quite a few people. That's why it's so easy for me to get customers. And the girls that I train tell me that no one else has ever trained them like I do. So yeah, I'm guessin I am better. Personally, I don't know because I was never 'trained' to clean but that's what I'm told by the locals and I live in the 4th largest metroplex in the US.

In your other post you capitalized ALOT like you didn't think that amount was alot. I've learned through the years, those of us that have made ALOT of money think $14k is ALOT but for those that haven't made ALOT of money they don't see $14k in the same eyes as we do. So go ahead and waste your money you F ing idiot!

You are the poster child for what this country is coming to... a bunch of F ING idiots that can't use a calculator!

Last edited by sprintcar93; 08-08-2015 at 10:55 AM.
post #7 of Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Real tough guy, you want to talk about hiding?! Like calling somebody an F'ing idiot while you sit behind your computer. What a nerd. If you must know, I already have a full time job with the federal government, so money is not an issue, I'm helping my fianc start a cleaning business. And yes, I'll go to another board where people will help answer the question I asked, not tell me how much of an F'ing idiot I am for asking what software people use to accept credit cards.

If you got a problem then you can PM me.
post #8 of Old 08-08-2015, 12:05 PM

A problem about what? Apparently YOU have the problem. I should have guessed that you work for the government since you can't use a calculator, well that and the fact you are a F ING idiot like the rest of them! Actually it's not funny, it's sad how stupid our government is.

I don't hide behind a screen. How many conventions have you been to? We used to have them all the time. Many people in the cleaning world know me. Not to mention.... who cares if you know me or not? If no one knew me on here and you don't like it.... LEAVE!
post #9 of Old 08-08-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Alright guy, you're right, I'm an f'ing idiot and you're the smartest and best business and everything you do is right and everything I do is wrong. Is that enough ego stroking for you? Keep living the dream.
post #10 of Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 AM

Oh I am living the dream! Hopefully you are too!

Now back to that credit card dilemma..... what is the purpose of taking credit cards? I've had 15 employees and never had the need for credit cards. How many workers do you have? You said she is just starting the business so I'm guessing none..... I don't understand the need...

A) Is it so the workers don't know your price?

B) Is it because you don't trust your workers?

C) If you don't want your workers to know the price does that mean you don't trust them? if so, how do you send them in a customers house?

D) Because you don't use a calculator very well so you'd rather the cc company take care of it? Just kidding!

By the way, normally if you answer the question, at some point in the future someone will come here looking for the same answer and do a search for example credit cards. And then they see how I made sense above BUT maybe you have a legit reason for needing to take credit cards, I don't know, you won't answer the question. And maybe they would have the same legit excuse as you (If you have a legit excuse).

By the way, I won't hold it against you that you work for the government, sshhhh we won't tell anyone.
post #11 of Old 08-11-2015, 12:18 AM

So for anyone new or old that is thinking about credit cards, please use your calculator. Don't talk... don't think... just use a calculator. That's why I LOVE calculators because they only have numbers and can't form a sentence... they always tell the truth in numbers.

Now that you have used your calculator tell me WHY you need to take credit cards in the residential cleaning business. If you just don't want some of the money you are making send it to ME!!

I'm not against taking credit cards. I've never personally owned a credit card but most others have/do. In the lawn service it is a MUST to take credit cards because if you don't, people will forget to pay (because it is outside work) or you take the chance of someone stealing the cash/check they leave under the door mat. But with residential cleaning they leave the cash or check on the counter... you or your worker picks it up and brings it back to you or ever how you have it set up. If cash or check is not on counter... they don't get cleaned.

Like I said before... where is the problem?
post #12 of Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 PM

In my stupid cleaning franchise I had, I never had the need for a credit card machine. But then I got into another type of business where I had no choice.

The first 6 months I was losing a lot of money. So Sprintcar is right.

Then I got smart. I started charging a Credit Card service fee. It was in our contract and we told all customers over the phone prior to running the card.

Everything panned out after that. So I suggest if you want to use a credit card for your cleaning business. I would pick Pay Pay with smartphone reader, and %5 sur charge. They don't have monthly fees and no early termination fees.
post #13 of Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 PM

I guess they did change the law on that. It says in January 2013 they made it legal to charge extra for taking credit cards. Before January 2013 it was NOT legal to charge extra.

I don't keep up with credit cards and still see it silly to take a credit card for house cleaning..... no need at all for it. But then again, most people go out of business within the 1st year of business and then within 5 years almost all businesses go out of business.... and the odds of a house cleaning business making it a year are low and for one to make it 5 years is VERY LOW... so apparently I'm doing something right. 17 years with no cash problems and still going strong with no credit cards.
post #14 of Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM

Agreed, Love paypal card reader for my graphic design business. Works perfect if you do it exactly how you guys been saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitologist View Post
In my stupid cleaning franchise I had, I never had the need for a credit card machine. But then I got into another type of business where I had no choice.

The first 6 months I was losing a lot of money. So Sprintcar is right.

Then I got smart. I started charging a Credit Card service fee. It was in our contract and we told all customers over the phone prior to running the card.

Everything panned out after that. So I suggest if you want to use a credit card for your cleaning business. I would pick Pay Pay with smartphone reader, and %5 sur charge. They don't have monthly fees and no early termination fees.
post #15 of Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Paypal now has a way to collect payment from customers.It might be worth looking into as loads of credit card machine companies have monthly fees that are not cheap.
http://selz.co/1CK1Nua
post #16 of Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Squareup is easy, no additional fees or stupid credit card machine to lease i think its 2.75% per transaction.
post #17 of Old 08-24-2015, 07:20 PM

Not that I cared..... credit cards in residential is just not very smart.... but I found out that in my state, Texas, you can NOT charge any extra fees for credit card use. 9 other states are also that way. Better check before you charge a fee. Well, let me rephrase that.... you can do what you want, it's just not legal.
post #18 of Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 AM

Do you mind explaining what all theses costs are? From what I understand its like a $25 fee per month and then 1.65% per transaction. Is that what your saying is going to cost me ALOT of money over the next 5 years?
post #19 of Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM

I would go with a less expensive and somewhat portable system like paypal.Your employees could use it which would solve the calls to the office scenerio.
I was in biz 35 years and never took credit cards,however for the largest majority of those years I did large contracts,which were on monthly billings.
But do not feel pressured to accept cards.
Now if you are thinking to branch off into carpet cleaning...them maybe,but for general maid,janitorial,windows...no.
Hope this helps.
I think your extra bucks would be better spent in ads and quality equipment.
post #20 of Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 AM

A few years back I used a company called EMS they signed me up. I leased a terminal for I think 29 bucks a month and gave me a low transaction fee. problem was that my monthly bill was never right full of overcharges nickel and diming me like crazy. It made no sense, I would call to complain and get it fixed and they never did. It felt like a scam.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode