Advertising That Works - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Advertising That Works

We've talked about some of the advertising that doesn't work like the yellow pages... now lets share what is working.

Newspapers, Val-pak, internet, online yellow pages,.... what is working for you?

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-29-2006, 07:34 PM

3 foot rule. Anybody within 3 feet of me gets a business card. I leave cards for my waiter at the places I eat and give logoed pens and keychains to the girls at the bank and movie rental store.

My BBB Membership has worked out so far.

I also attend Home and Garden Shows and pass out Business Cards.

I pay Bird dog fees to Realtors.

Barber Shops and Hair Salons get cards on Bulletin Boards.

Those have worked for me. I have found that Advertising isn't "working" if the cost isn't but a very small percentage of the income it produces. So far, paid advertising hasn't worked for me. For Power Washers, I think traditional "ads" only serve as a listing. It seems consumers look to friends and neighbors for a refferal. Commercial work seems to only come if you meet it half way by initializing the contact.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #3 of Old 07-02-2006, 10:43 PM

Without a doubt for me the greatest ROI I get is from direct mail post cards. I consider ads in the yellow pages and small local papers and church bulletins as "support advertising". These forms of media don't generate a ton of business in themselves but are an effective way to keep exposure to your name and logo constant. Though I must add that my Yellow pages ad generates a ton of work for us.

I never discount my services and I do not believe offering coupons are very effective ways to land jobs. The problem with targeting any advertising towards discount is that you are gearing your customers expectations on price. There are certain keywords you should use in your advertising that will generate interest. It is very important to trigger a person's reticular activators.

Reticular activation is the part of your brain that subconciously scans for the out of the ordinary. If you hear a car alarm going off, odds are you will continue going about your business. If instead of a standard siren the car alarm used a voice simulator screaming "help me, help me" your attention would be immediately drawn. You need to use similar technique in advertising.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 PM

There are certain keywords you should use in your advertising that will generate interest.

And those key words would be?I know for us referrals have been a great way to gain new business,but we have rarely seen any return on direct mailers.So maybe a change in text will help us see greater returns.
We have stayed away from the yellow pages,and newspapers after lack luster results from our 1st year in business.Church newsletters are something I haven't given much thought to in the past and I may need to re-examine the idea.
We have never used our drive-by cleanings as marketing,but it's also something I am reconsidering.We have always done those just for the joy of helping someone in need,however,they could turn into gains in revenue if I can get the media to cover them.
post #5 of Old 07-02-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
We've talked about some of the advertising that doesn't work like the yellow pages... now lets share what is working.

Newspapers, Val-pak, internet, online yellow pages,.... what is working for you?
Yellowpages worked great last year...this year, it sucks. One reason I believe is the placement of one of my ads. It SUCKS. I'll likely drop at least one of the ads, probably both, next year. I can do a LOT of direct mail with that $850.00/month, on top of what I already do.

What works? Direct mail is by far the greatest source of my work. Repeat business, word of mouth, and the yellow pages. Used to run a newpaper ad in the service directory, will likely put that back in next month.

Haven't tried valpack or service magic yet.
post #6 of Old 07-02-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
Haven't tried valpack or service magic yet.
It depends on your area for sure and how many people are already in your val-pak but that was my best leads source. Lot's of bang for the buck.

Nathan

post #7 of Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
It depends on your area for sure and how many people are already in your val-pak but that was my best leads source. Lot's of bang for the buck.
I may just have to give it a shot.
post #8 of Old 07-03-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvonen's Pro Clean View Post
There are certain keywords you should use in your advertising that will generate interest.

And those key words would be?I know for us referrals have been a great way to gain new business,but we have rarely seen any return on direct mailers.So maybe a change in text will help us see greater returns.
We have stayed away from the yellow pages,and newspapers after lack luster results from our 1st year in business.Church newsletters are something I haven't given much thought to in the past and I may need to re-examine the idea.
We have never used our drive-by cleanings as marketing,but it's also something I am reconsidering.We have always done those just for the joy of helping someone in need,however,they could turn into gains in revenue if I can get the media to cover them.
Scott,

What makes your ad stand out from the others? Is the header of your ad your business name? Do you list your services offered? These are two common mistakes. The yellow pages are a very good source of generating leads. People are searching the yellow pages because they are looking to BUY. That makes them a pre qualified hot lead.

Lets say you were scanning the book for a deck company. Listing after listing is Joe's Deck Service, Decks and More etc etc. Would an ad that started off with "THE BEST YOUR DECK WILL EVER LOOK" grab your attention? Would it make you want to read more about this company?

THE BEST YOUR DECK WILL EVER LOOK
Deck Restoration By Licensed and Insured Craftsmen
• Enviromentally friendly cleaners
• Long lasting, high quality sealers
• All work guaranteed in writing
Join our list of thrilled customers
610-446-0555

My logo is on there too. Right away anyone that is just shopping for the best price is going to assume we will not be the lowest.

You want to be sure you are answering prominent questions. What makes you different and why should I hire you? Hope this helps.

PressurePros, Inc

Last edited by PressurePros; 07-03-2006 at 12:47 AM.
post #9 of Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 PM

We use postcards and drive to worksites we mostly do const. cleanup and thats how we get our other contracts we such a good cleanup they give us comm. contracts. simple as that $250,000 a year and growing.
post #10 of Old 07-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM Cleaning & Sanitizing View Post
We use postcards and drive to worksites we mostly do const. cleanup and thats how we get our other contracts we such a good cleanup they give us comm. contracts. simple as that $250,000 a year and growing.
Do you use the postcards when marketing for construction cleanup? How's that work?
post #11 of Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPWLLC View Post
3 foot rule. Anybody within 3 feet of me gets a business card. I leave cards for my waiter at the places I eat and give logoed pens and keychains to the girls at the bank and movie rental store.

Those have worked for me. I have found that Advertising isn't "working" if the cost isn't but a very small percentage of the income it produces. So far, paid advertising hasn't worked for me. For Power Washers, I think traditional "ads" only serve as a listing. It seems consumers look to friends and neighbors for a refferal. Commercial work seems to only come if you meet it half way by initializing the contact.
as crazy as it sounds the 3 foot rule is an awesome tool...it works if you work it
post #12 of Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

This may be a dumb idea but something I thought of the other weekend at a neighborhood event. This neighborhood has bout 5,000 homes and has a lot of booths from different businesses and it was very hot.

Anyways, I thought you could rent one of those tents that you walk under and that mist you. On a hot day everyone around would be at that thing at least once to cool off.

Since you already have water run there and it's wet I figured you could also do some wood, siding, and roof demonstrations as well.
Cool them off and show them something while the kids play in the water.

Just an idea anyways...

Nathan

post #13 of Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
This may be a dumb idea but something I thought of the other weekend at a neighborhood event. This neighborhood has bout 5,000 homes and has a lot of booths from different businesses and it was very hot.

Anyways, I thought you could rent one of those tents that you walk under and that mist you. On a hot day everyone around would be at that thing at least once to cool off.

Since you already have water run there and it's wet I figured you could also do some wood, siding, and roof demonstrations as well.
Cool them off and show them something while the kids play in the water.

Just an idea anyways...
scratch that idea just install an arcade!!!!!! it will work there too
post #14 of Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 AM

Im intrigued...

The 3 feet rule...easy enough to leave a card at a reastaurant and maybe shops and what not, but what id like to ask is...are you in convo with the person to give them the card or do you just give them it and carry on what you were doing?
post #15 of Old 07-12-2006, 09:20 AM

you just find a way to get waht you do in the conversation and let him have a card in case he knows any one or if he ever needs anything....most are very receptive
post #16 of Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPWLLC View Post

Those have worked for me. I have found that Advertising isn't "working" if the cost isn't but a very small percentage of the income
it produces. So far, paid advertising hasn't worked for me. For Power Washers, I think traditional "ads" only serve as a listing. It seems consumers look to friends and neighbors for a refferal. Commercial work seems to only come if you meet it half way by initializing the contact.

Bird dog fees? How do you let them know that you are paying for a job? I have put out really nice brouchures to the realtors before would you put it in your ads? Also how much are you giving them?
Thanks

Last edited by ProFresh; 07-12-2006 at 10:53 AM.
post #17 of Old 07-12-2006, 01:33 PM

I tell Realtors person to person that I offer a bird dog fee for referrals that will use my service. The fee is based on job type or size. Sometimes I just get away with doing a free job for the realtor if they give me some good jobs.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #18 of Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 PM

Thats a sticky point. Realtors are bound by a code of ethics that forbids this type of bartering. They can actually lose their job depending upon the agency.

I have done it as well and if the realtor can live with it, so can I. I just wanted to throw that out there.

PressurePros, Inc
post #19 of Old 07-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Yep, that's a big RESPA no-no.

When I was a mortgage broker it was almost impossible to get realtor business if you wouldn't 'play ball'- even though it was a federal problem if you got caught doing it.

Sorry, I wasn't going to risk my family, reputation, and self-esteem to bribe some slimy realtor.

"Everybody does it. That's how we do business in Louisiana!"
That's what I always heard.
Like the squirrels say: "It's all fun and games until someone loses a nut." Wasn't gonna be me.

I focused my business on builders, since all they wanted was fast results and quick sales.

Now, since I am not in the mortgage industry anymore I am not in danger of losing my license for RESPA infractions.
post #20 of Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Thats a sticky point. Realtors are bound by a code of ethics that forbids this type of bartering. They can actually lose their job depending upon the agency.

I have done it as well and if the realtor can live with it, so can I. I just wanted to throw that out there.
That's how I feel about it. It might not be a good idea, however, to send out any type of mailing or advertisement to a realty firm saying you're willing to pay referrals...deal with each agent one-on-one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode