Facebook? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Facebook?

We have a page on Facebook, and while it seems to be a nice place to communicate with people we know, is anyone drumming up any new business from it? What are your thoughts?
colonelduster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
I've only ever got 1 job from Facebook, and that was because I had the a link to facebook on my website. The lady was obsessed with facebook and she said she picked us because we were on it.

Window Cleaning Melbourne - Melbourne's premier Window Cleaners
Gutter Cleaning Melbourne - Professional Gutter Cleaning serving Melbourne
reacher is offline  
post #3 of Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 146
Facebook

Bear in mind that I am not an internet marketing expert, however, I believe that for many businesses facebook is overrated and not worth the hype. People get jazzed up about hip tattoo shops or funky coffee shops and so forth.... not so much janitorial services. How many people want to be friends with the janitor on facebook and/or follow their twitter posts? Maybe just all the people who are already the janitor's friends in real life. That being said, I think facebook has potential if you are planning to use their ad program. If you provide an in-home service such as housecleaning or window cleaning posting some targeted ads may have some positive benefit. It's possible. I've, personally, never had any real results from facebook. I get most of my business from google searches. I definitely don't think a business facebook page is a substitute for a real webpage and a diligent seo campaign.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
april1979 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Keep in mind, that facebook can be used to increase your organic rankings. To increase your rankings you need to provide as many links to your site as possible. facebook is an easy free way to do that.
mold_man is offline  
post #5 of Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Member
 
UltraBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 81
I actually tried a Facebook Fanpage ad. I let it go for a week. I didn't get any responses. Something tells me that I would need to let it ride longer, and to increase the per click investment.
UltraBrite is offline  
post #6 of Old 04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Barfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13
Facebook wont help your business grow.

I tried doing a Facebook promotion that was linked to my website and got 40 clicks and not even 1 lead. I imagine you would have to spend thousands to just get a lead which is not worth it in my opinion.
Barfocus is offline  
post #7 of Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 62
Facebook is good for brand awareness , not especially for direct leads . If you're looking for that I think you should stick to the old ways of doing things , stated above .


Los Angeles cleaning
Office cleaning Los Angeles
We provide office cleaning and commercial cleaning in Los Angeles
SwissClean is offline  
post #8 of Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18

I think from a consumers prospective, most people wouldn't search for a company on facebook. However, if you included in your advertising for people to 'find us on facebook', that might be more likely to grab their attention. When I see an advertisement about a business I'm interested in trying (restaurant, hair salon, etc.), that I will check out their facebook page since people are free to write reviews about them.
bnichole87 is offline  
post #9 of Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBrite View Post
I actually tried a Facebook Fanpage ad. I let it go for a week. I didn't get any responses. Something tells me that I would need to let it ride longer, and to increase the per click investment.
A week is definitely not enough time for Facebook to do it's duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnichole87 View Post
I think from a consumers prospective, most people wouldn't search for a company on facebook. However, if you included in your advertising for people to 'find us on facebook', that might be more likely to grab their attention. When I see an advertisement about a business I'm interested in trying (restaurant, hair salon, etc.), that I will check out their facebook page since people are free to write reviews about them.
Agreed.

We have to realize that Facebook is just another form of Networking. Some people check Facebook more than they acknowledge their significant others. Just think if you have a client that is a FB nut that enjoys your service and just so happens to post it on her wall, and she has 10 friends.....well, your business was just exposed to 10 potential clients.....50 friends on her page? 50 potential clients reading how great or awful your services were.

It's free, and having a nice fanpage made can be $50, so why not?
OneTime is offline  
post #10 of Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 159
Facebook is a social networking service and website launched in February 2004, operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc. As of January 2011[update], Facebook has more than 600 million active users. Users may create a personal profile, add other users as friends, and exchange messages, including automatic notifications when they update their profile. Additionally, users may join common-interest user groups, organized by workplace, school or college, or other characteristics. The name of the service stems from the colloquial name for the book given to students at the start of the academic year by university administrations in the United States to help students get to know each other better. Facebook allows any users who declare themselves to be at least 13 years old to become registered users of the website.

Thanks,

sony voice recorders
Justin98 is offline  
post #11 of Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 32
fan page maybe, adverts yes.

We've had some luck with facebook adverts, though we haven't gone and created a fan page. We find that our business doesn't really have the kind of "following" that you'd find with some others... mostly because people look at their commercial cleaner as not really a glamourous vendor.

That said, we've started doing a blog and it is getting some traction, so maybe we should start a page and link the blog there... might bring more readers, but would it bring more business?

Facebook adverts are a different story... they seem to work ok because you can target people. We've looked for potential franchise owners this way and it has been somewhat effective, mostly because you can target very narrowly on demographic information, unlike Google AdWords which use only search term. We could, for example look for people that are stay-at-home mothers wanting a bit of evening or side work with Facebook ads.

The downside is that most facebook users are rather young, and not suited to owning their own business (yet), though I see more and more older people getting into it, and those who have grown up with Facebook are coming into age. Still, it's pretty cheap if you're advertising on the right demographics, and it's turning into a better resource every day so give it a shot.

Auckland Carpet Cleaning | Auckland Commercial Cleaning
whakataka is offline  
post #12 of Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakataka View Post
We've had some luck with facebook adverts, though we haven't gone and created a fan page. We find that our business doesn't really have the kind of "following" that you'd find with some others... mostly because people look at their commercial cleaner as not really a glamourous vendor.

That said, we've started doing a blog and it is getting some traction, so maybe we should start a page and link the blog there... might bring more readers, but would it bring more business?

Facebook adverts are a different story... they seem to work ok because you can target people. We've looked for potential franchise owners this way and it has been somewhat effective, mostly because you can target very narrowly on demographic information, unlike Google AdWords which use only search term. We could, for example look for people that are stay-at-home mothers wanting a bit of evening or side work with Facebook ads.

The downside is that most facebook users are rather young, and not suited to owning their own business (yet), though I see more and more older people getting into it, and those who have grown up with Facebook are coming into age. Still, it's pretty cheap if you're advertising on the right demographics, and it's turning into a better resource every day so give it a shot.


Good point that I agree with. What I can add is that Facebook is a growing social website where the ads may take really good positions. I see it like a billboard on the road or something. So, I think that Facebook will be one of the leading online advertising centers after some time.

lisaheader is offline  
post #13 of Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14
Do not use it unless you REALLY are going to use it. Theres no point to have it unless you interact with your fans

Building my own weathervane and cupola
surfspc is offline  
post #14 of Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
bds
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 21
Facebook is one of the top 3 most visited sites on all the 'tubes. OneTime says it best:


Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTime View Post

snip...
Just think if you have a client that is a FB nut that enjoys your service and just so happens to post it on her wall, and she has 10 friends.....well, your business was just exposed to 10 potential clients.....50 friends on her page? 50 potential clients reading how great or awful your services were.
bds is offline  
post #15 of Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mold_man View Post
Keep in mind, that facebook can be used to increase your organic rankings. To increase your rankings you need to provide as many links to your site as possible. facebook is an easy free way to do that.
I think that is not quite true. Arent Facebook and Google exessive rivals?
IlkleyCleaning is offline  
post #16 of Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 86
Ok guys, I just went live w/my facebook fanpage, let me know what you think!

http://www.facebook.com/thecarpetspecialists

obviously, like it if you dig it!
OneTime is offline  
post #17 of Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
everybody's on Facebook. So it's good to get the sound of your business' name there.
iya12 is offline  
post #18 of Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 74
@ OneTime Nice work on that Welcome page

Two things
1. No link or website address on your info page
2. Have a Facebook like button on your website that gets people to your facebook page to like.
This way their friends on Facebook will see that they have liked you and be inquisitive to find out why.

We have a 30% off carpet cleaning coupon on Facebook running with an ad. Am not sure whether this will work but will let you know. We have had a 1% click through per impressions. We have the coupon on the website but they have to like us on Facebook first to get the coupon. Hopefully this will get their friends too.

Link to our page. http://www.facebook.com/MightCleanMade a mistake with spelling when get a username after 25 likes now can't change it :-( should have been mighti clean not might clean

Last edited by Mighti; 07-31-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Mighti is offline  
post #19 of Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Member
 
Cheryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London
Posts: 45
I have some friends playing a game on fb that is said to offer them winning €50. They played it like crazy for a month or more but I havent asked them is that real.

Best Regards,
Cheryl Parker
Cheryl is offline  
post #20 of Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissClean View Post
Facebook is good for brand awareness , not especially for direct leads . If you're looking for that I think you should stick to the old ways of doing things , stated above .

Couldn't agree more. I have a few friends that are in bands and they love facebook because of the branding opportunity. Some companies do well Facebook, it just depends on how you approach it and what industry your advertising for. Music and arts do really well, restoration services not so much. At least not what I have seen anyhow. But it is a very easy, cost effective way to put another back link to your website on the net.
Snellexperts is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh NC Pressure Washing company on Facebook FCPWLLC Pressure Washing 3 06-30-2013 10:51 AM
What does my website need? and is a Facebook page worth it? jtryban Sales & Marketing 17 02-09-2012 01:52 AM
Real Estate Marketing with Twitter Contractor Florida Sales & Marketing 11 12-16-2010 09:58 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome