Growing a Move Out Cleaning - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Growing a Move Out Cleaning

Hi,

I am in the works of starting up a cleaning service in my area, primarily focused on move out cleanings. Is there a particular way that I should seek out my customers? Does Cold calling work for this type of work? Or should I be focusing my efforts on a different form of marketing? What is anyone's experiences with this form of cleaning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Since you will be dealing with individuals, not companies, you might check out the various online house-cleaning sites, like Thumbtack, Housekeepers.com and Care.com. People post their move out cleaning jobs there.

I would guess that maybe if you called various rental companies, to let them know of your services, they might be of help. Most responsible tenants search for a move out cleaner themselves, but you never know!
post #3 of Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM

I did a few move out cleans over the years.All of those jobs came through realtors who were handling the foreclosures or realtors that handled short term rentals.

The foreclosure jobs paid WAY BETTER than the short term rentals.Both types are very dirty jobs.

The trouble with the realtors who handle the foreclosures is they are actually hired by banks first so it's a crapshoot as to who is handling what and when.

I would suggest trying to find out what bank in your area seems to have foreclosures and try to get hired straight through

them.What I found though is sometimes they just don't handle it until it gets through the paperwork process (which is very lengthy) and by that time they are ready to get it sold, thus the realtor.You will have to find out how each bank handles it.I warn you this is not so easy to figure out and you may have trouble getting to the correct individual.

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by profcleaning View Post
I did a few move out cleans over the years.All of those jobs came through realtors who were handling the foreclosures or realtors that handled short term rentals.

The foreclosure jobs paid WAY BETTER than the short term rentals.Both types are very dirty jobs.

The trouble with the realtors who handle the foreclosures is they are actually hired by banks first so it's a crapshoot as to who is handling what and when.

I would suggest trying to find out what bank in your area seems to have foreclosures and try to get hired straight through

them.What I found though is sometimes they just don't handle it until it gets through the paperwork process (which is very lengthy) and by that time they are ready to get it sold, thus the realtor.You will have to find out how each bank handles it.I warn you this is not so easy to figure out and you may have trouble getting to the correct individual.

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
Thank you for the excellent advice! This has been very helpful and gives me some direction as to where to look for accounts. I had been thinking about cold calling property management companies within the area, to see if they had any needs for cleaning upon tenant move out. Have you tried this tactic? Have you produced any success from this method if so?

Another option I had was to recharge ot to Air BnB owners. I thought that method could possibly generate some leads as well. Thoughts?
post #5 of Old 10-08-2017, 12:03 PM

I've done lots of move out cleaning over the years. Some units are pretty clean, others are absolutely disgusting, just depends on the people who lived there.

Property managers can provide both volume and recurring work, and they are always looking for new cleaners/cleaning companies to work with. I worked for one as an employee for a few months, lots of work (more than full-time if I wanted it) but the deadlines and the pay didn't make it worthwhile. I've also worked for a couple of managers as a contractor. Typically they like to pay a flat fee for every unit rather than have you quote each job. As you can imagine sometimes that means you don't make much per hour and other times you make a lot.

I've also got a lot of work from a simple ad on free classified sites. Those ads pull calls from property managers, owners, realtors, and tenants so it's a mixed bag. If you want to land most of these jobs you will need to reply FAST and have a crew ready to go at a moment's notice, I find most people call the day they want the property cleaned.

A related line of cleaning that I've done quite a bit of as well is construction clean up. The best is if you can get in with the general contractor, it's recurring work, although not very frequent unless they're a huge company. And if you're reliable and do a great job they pay VERY well. I particularly like working for contractors who do major renovations on houses and offices, you can often pick up the house/office cleaning from the owners as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode