Help with event cleaning pricing? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Question Help with event cleaning pricing?

Hello all! My name is Shana I have been doing residential cleanings for about a year now with my husband. We recently have been contacted by a big venue in our area. They do events in a 22,000 sqft old warehouse. The building is sectioned off into separate rooms such as a bar ( 1000sqft) loft (4,400sqft) the main room (14,000sqft) and a gallery (1700sqft) They are wanting us to come out every time they have an event which is 3-4 times a week. They also want us to come if there is a last minute scheduled event, I guess be on call. I have no freaking clue where to begin pricing this. But I am so excited because to get this gig will change our entire business. Can someone please point me in the right direction with this. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-29-2015, 11:28 AM

Do these people have near perfect reviews on the internet? The reason I ask is.... payment. If they suck at other things you can bet they suck at paying also.

First I'd say you need to figure out how much you need to charge per hour. Do you have that answer? Not sure if it is the same or different as residential for you. Everyone is different.
post #3 of Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

From what I can see on the internet they are an upscale events place with 5 stars on google. They do fashion shows and modeling shoots and concerts.
Right now we charge $45 an hour for 2 people to clean--I was noticing on events cleaning it was more like $85 for 2 ppl. At first I was going at it by sqft but I dont think I can do this here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-29-2015, 01:50 PM

How did you find out the going rate is $42.50 per man hour for event cleaning? Did you see it on another website?

You realize if you get employees $22.50 per man hour for residential cleaning will just about break even. After everything you have to pay, insurance, government, etc you will have about enough left to buy a Dr. Pepper. $22.50 per man hour was 1998 prices. $35 is where I like to be around. Heck, today we averaged right at the $56 per man hour range for residential.
post #5 of Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Hello thanks for the response $45 was what we had come up with about 6 mo ago for my husband and I to do the residential cleanings. We have grown since then and you are right it is not enough for residential and to build a legit company, which we are trying to do. I did find the $85 for 2 ppl on an events clean-ups website and started to run some numbers. I read a post a bit ago where the person wrote to get a price, figure out how long it will take you to clean the space and then X your hourly with it. What I am trying to figure out it is this because it will be a new event each time and it will be very frequent maybe even everyday, the rooms are all different sizes and since each event is different some maybe more work than the others. But I am thinking they are wanting either a contract or flat rate to go off of each time. I really dont want to under bid this or over bid and loose them--but I gotta make money
post #6 of Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 PM

First of all, always remember that the last cleaner either quit FOR A REASON or was fired because it didn't pay enough to do the job properly. I realize the last company could have just been lazy..... but I bet not.

Sounds like a very difficult thing to bid for. It will really help you in the future if you stop talking about 2 man hours at the same time. $45 for the two of us..... that was the past. In the future it should be $22.50 per man hour.... IF you choose to stay at that rate. Not to mention, in the residential cleaning business you shouldn't bid on paper by the man hour nor the square foot.

I don't think you will get yourself in a very good situation if you give them a set bid. I'd say this is $x per man hour job.

I'm sure they do want a contract and or a set bid.... they aren't crazy. And as for you... don't be desperate. Desperation usually leads to making bad decisions. I bet in 3 months you look back and either wished that you never got this account or you are glad you didn't get it. So if you give them a price.... bid it high ^^^! Don't screw yourself.
post #7 of Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all the good info I appreciate it a lot. You are so right! I go meet these people on Wednesday wish me luck, this will change our little business if it goes well
post #8 of Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 PM

It depends what you call 'well'. From many years of experience I think if it goes 'well' you won't get the job. That way you will be able to focus on profitable work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in