Ideal Target Market for Residential Cleaning and Commercial - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Bro

Ideal Target Market for Residential Cleaning and Commercial

Hi There,

What is the ideal target market for getting hired for residential cleaning? Is it true that you will deal mainly with women instead of men? How old are they and what is the ideal income, house hold size, living situation, best time to reach them? what are best ways to reach them?

I assume they are mothers with children who are at home, while husbands are at work, doing things like shopping, going to the gym, taking care of children, running errands, etc.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Yes, it is 95% females you will deal with.

Depends what town you live in for the other answers.
post #3 of Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 PM

Target high level incomes. If you use the tool from the USPS "Every Door Direct Mail" (I think that's the name) you can view specific routes in your city and the USPS will even tell you the median income for those mail routes. Comes in handy even if your not sending mailers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Yes, it is 95% females you will deal with.

Depends what town you live in for the other answers.
I'm having a big debate right now. I can't seem to settle it. I would greatly appreciate it if you can convince me to choose one or the other and do it forever.

I can't decide between doing residential or commercial cleaning. I am under the impression residential is easier in the long run because I don't have to buy heavy duty floor equipment. Maids' hourly wages are paid 3-4 bux more than light duty cleaners and that will kill my bottom line. My goal is to stay 40% margin. I need a full comparison between the two and I've already been researching for six months. Just when I thought I was ready to settle with commercial cleaning (office and retail), I get this crazy idea that I can be very wealthy with residential based on companies that are out in the market. I mean, it's all about setting up the business model the right way. I just don't know what to think. So confused. Any help would be appreciated.

My main concerns:

1. I want to go into residential cleaning because I assume margin's are higher than routine light duty cleaning for office and retail - 1 point commercial cleaning
2. From looking at other local companies, maid's are paid $15 per hour and light duty cleaners are paid around $11. -- 1 point commercial cleaning
3. I don't have to do proposals for house cleaners, but I will have to do it for commercial - 1 point residential
4. Making one sale in commercial takes 3-6 weeks. I'm under the impression that a sale in residential is a lot quicker? However, I don't know the selling process for residential. How long does it take and what is the flow chart?
5. If I pay maid's $15 per hour per maid for residential cleaning, it doesn't count payroll, employment insurance, pension benefits, etc. It's too damn expensive.
6. Why does it seem like all residential companies have two maids working together for every home? What is the reason behind that? Does it save time only or money too?
7. Which market is more saturated? Residential or commercial? Which one is easier to get into? Which one is there more of? After reading tons of industry reports, adding residential cleaning into the equation has confused the heck out of me. And I'm not even counting industrial cleaning.

Last edited by Bro; 01-19-2016 at 09:37 PM.
post #5 of Old 01-19-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleaningforProfit.com View Post
Target high level incomes. If you use the tool from the USPS "Every Door Direct Mail" (I think that's the name) you can view specific routes in your city and the USPS will even tell you the median income for those mail routes. Comes in handy even if your not sending mailers
Cheers. Is this Tom?
post #6 of Old 01-19-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I'm having a big debate right now. I can't seem to settle it. I would greatly appreciate it if you can convince me to choose one or the other and do it forever.

I can't decide between doing residential or commercial cleaning. I am under the impression residential is easier in the long run because I don't have to buy heavy duty floor equipment. Maids' hourly wages are paid 3-4 bux more than light duty cleaners and that will kill my bottom line. My goal is to stay 40% margin. I need a full comparison between the two and I've already been researching for six months. Just when I thought I was ready to settle with commercial cleaning (office and retail), I get this crazy idea that I can be very wealthy with residential based on companies that are out in the market. I mean, it's all about setting up the business model the right way. I just don't know what to think. So confused. Any help would be appreciated.

I got in while the getting was good... actually it was GREAT! But I think the thrill is gone. Not sure there is as much money in it now as there was when I started 18 years ago. That's why I got out. Cleaning takes atleast 1/2 a brain.... I looked for 8 years and could only find 4 people with 1/2 a brain. That's why I went in to the mowing business... I can get a retarded boy to mow... teach him that when he runs out of grass... turn that mower around. Nothing against a retarded boy but it's true. And I will gladly hire one if I can find one. Wouldn't he be so much fun to work with? He would come to work happy every day. The way to make a killing in cleaning nowadays is to start your own franchise. Bro's Cleaning Frnachise

My main concerns:

1. I want to go into residential cleaning because I assume margin's are higher than routine light duty cleaning for office and retail - 1 point commercial cleaning
How is that a point for commercial? I love higher margins. That's what it's all about.

2. From looking at other local companies, maid's are paid $15 per hour and light duty cleaners are paid around $11. -- 1 point commercial cleaning
If I charge $20 more hourly why can't I pay $4 more hourly?

3. I don't have to do proposals for house cleaners, but I will have to do it for commercial - 1 point residential
You will need to go to the house and give a bid. Sometimes nowadays this is done online but that is part of the reason I got out. I hate giving a price without seeing the house first.

4. Making one sale in commercial takes 3-6 weeks. I'm under the impression that a sale in residential is a lot quicker? However, I don't know the selling process for residential. How long does it take and what is the flow chart?
It depends on how you set your company up. I didn't like to add more than 1 new house a day because of the first time in cleans. Most are hard and take a lot of time and elbow grease. I could have added 3 a day if we could have handled it. Some people have a hell of a time adding 1 a month.

5. If I pay maid's $15 per hour per maid for residential cleaning, it doesn't count payroll, employment insurance, pension benefits, etc. It's too damn expensive.
That's all added in the price. I don't get what you're saying.

6. Why does it seem like all residential companies have two maids working together for every home? What is the reason behind that? Does it save time only or money too?
Not all. I always put 1 girl in a house. I made more profit and it kept theft almost at 0. The others put more than 1 because they didn't use their calculator correctly... or not at all..... It doesn't save time with 2 people. It takes longer for 2 people to clean a house CORRECTLY. Correctly being the key word there. 2 people can half-ass clean a house in a shorter amount of time. We very rarely had any complaints. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what year my last complain was in.

7. Which market is more saturated? Residential or commercial?
Saturated would be residential but the answer you are trying to get is impossible. Being saturated has nothing to do with anything. If you're basing anything on being saturated then don't start any business.... they all are.... residential/commercial/carpet cleaning/floor work/mowing/landscaping.... you are several years too late for all of them.

Which one is easier to get into?
If you knew what you was doing you could have 1 residential customer within 24 hours.

Which one is there more of?
As I said above... this has nothing to do with anything.

After reading tons of industry reports, adding residential cleaning into the equation has confused the heck out of me. And I'm not even counting industrial cleaning.
Do you even know how to clean a house?
post #7 of Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleaningforProfit.com View Post
We always stayed away from the high-end big houses. Not near as much profit as small homes... in-out-over. Send 1 person in... never stress about it... easy work for the employee after the 1st cleaning. People usually aren't near as picky as they are in high-end homes. Both adults usually work... come home and are too tired to make sure every little spot is clean. But... each company has their own different ways to run things. It's up to the owner to decide.
post #8 of Old 01-20-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Bro

Quote:
Do you even know how to clean a house?
Yes. Cleaning since grade 1. I'm a wierdo

Thanks for your response sprint!

What do you mean that everything is included in the cost of $15 per hour wage? I don't include payroll in the $15 bux. I include it on top. I include EI on top of that too. Am I paying my workers too much? How would you do it?

Why franchising? Everyone wants to franchise.

Last edited by Bro; 01-20-2016 at 10:34 AM.
post #9 of Old 01-20-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
We always stayed away from the high-end big houses. Not near as much profit as small homes... in-out-over. Send 1 person in... never stress about it... easy work for the employee after the 1st cleaning. People usually aren't near as picky as they are in high-end homes. Both adults usually work... come home and are too tired to make sure every little spot is clean. But... each company has their own different ways to run things. It's up to the owner to decide.
It must be difficult to market to small homes, seems like targeting a higher income will yield better results. Small homes don't typically have as large a budget as homes in nice neighborhoods, I'd be interested in what kind of results others have by sending mailers or marketing to smaller homes though.
post #10 of Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 PM

You've been professionally cleaning since grade 1? What company hired you at grade 1?

When a bid is put in by any company in the world the pay rate for the worker is included... otherwise how could anyone come up with a bid? You've got to know your pay rate, insurance broken down per job, per week, per day per hour.... some people might not break it down that far but it might be part of the reason they don't make as much money as they could if they did. You gotta have every single cost added in to that bid. One bottle of window cleaner costs me $ .01 so in my price I add $ .01 window cleaner per visit.... yes it needs to be THAT detailed. Mine are anyway.

Everyone wants to do it because that's where the money is at. Problem is... it ain't cheap to do. And once you pay all the fee's and set up the entire operation then you need to sell it to franchisees. Where will you find them? And once you sell it you will need to do some hellish marketing to help your franchisee get customers. But there is dang good money once you get all that figured out.

Now back to my question... who hired you in grade 1? Did your parents own a cleaning business?
post #11 of Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Bro

Quote:
You've been professionally cleaning since grade 1? What company hired you at grade 1?

When a bid is put in by any company in the world the pay rate for the worker is included... otherwise how could anyone come up with a bid? You've got to know your pay rate, insurance broken down per job, per week, per day per hour.... some people might not break it down that far but it might be part of the reason they don't make as much money as they could if they did. You gotta have every single cost added in to that bid. One bottle of window cleaner costs me $ .01 so in my price I add $ .01 window cleaner per visit.... yes it needs to be THAT detailed. Mine are anyway.

Everyone wants to do it because that's where the money is at. Problem is... it ain't cheap to do. And once you pay all the fee's and set up the entire operation then you need to sell it to franchisees. Where will you find them? And once you sell it you will need to do some hellish marketing to help your franchisee get customers. But there is dang good money once you get all that figured out.

Now back to my question... who hired you in grade 1? Did your parents own a cleaning business?
I have family members who are hoarders. I developed an insecurity when my friends used to come over in grade 1 so I used to clean my own house. Starting in grade 10 I volunteered cleaning my church every few months on Saturday mornings at 6:30am. It was brutal. Vacuuming, sweeping, mopping stair cases and concrete floors. It took about 2-2.5 hrs. I did it for about 5-7 years. I enjoyed it because it was peaceful and I was able to think about things in my own life after it came a routine.

Is there any advantage to having set prices for cleaning commercial spaces instead of bidding for each customer differently? Is it hard to go this route because you need to have a very specific target of people? Can I be profitable without doing any VCT floor care or carpet cleaning? OR, can I just do carpet cleaning and VCT floor care without general commercial cleaning and be profitable?

Last edited by Bro; 01-21-2016 at 12:28 AM.
post #12 of Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 AM

So you have no real cleaning experience. Once you get out in the real world you will understand what I mean. If you actually want to start a cleaning company you need to work for a few other cleaning companies to learn how to clean... right now you have no idea how to clean. Now if you was coming to work for me I would love that because it means you don't have bad habits... yet.

For example... what supplies do you need to clean a shower and how long would it take you? Not a 1st time in shower... a shower that is cleaned regularly.
post #13 of Old 01-21-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Bro

Quote:
So you have no real cleaning experience. Once you get out in the real world you will understand what I mean. If you actually want to start a cleaning company you need to work for a few other cleaning companies to learn how to clean... right now you have no idea how to clean. Now if you was coming to work for me I would love that because it means you don't have bad habits... yet.

For example... what supplies do you need to clean a shower and how long would it take you? Not a 1st time in shower... a shower that is cleaned regularly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptjz0RWeVpE
post #14 of Old 09-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode